UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Your paints of choice......

Just want to get some of your opinions on paints.

The stuff I've been using has been hit and miss...... some of the colors i use go on thick, which I like very much.

But I have gotten a few, especially yellows, that are just WAY too thin.......i mean like after 6 coats it's still not a solid color.

So what are your selections and where do you usually get them?

Also metallic colors, I like to use them but the problem I have had with them is that they are never really bright enough, they always seem to be dull metals......

Thanks guys :)

Thanks Luke, what are the sizes of the paints and price?

Both brands come in 1/2 oz. jars. Model Masters is $2.00-$2.50 a jar and Citadel is $3.00-$3.50 a jar. If you get Model Masters make sure to get the Acrylic ones, and not Enamel. On a similar note, I recommend getting sable hair brushes if you can. They help the paint go on smoother, and they come in ridiculously small sizes, which are great for minimate details.

I actually use four different types of paint.

Citadel Colour and Model Masters Acryl like Luke suggested, along with Citadel foundation and Vallejo Game Color. Both of which are great for mixing, and the foundation paints are really for base coats. Vallejo is great for everything, and I use it the most. It paints on well, drys fast, and cleans up well also. They are fairly cheap, about 2.00 a bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

righto, while we're here...

does anyone have a scientific (or made up) reason for why yellow paint is so notoriously difficult to work with?

i'd heard the rumours... but hadn't witnessed it first had until this week.

does anyone have a scientific (or made up) reason for why yellow paint is so notoriously difficult to work with?

Are you priming the surface first? That has solved most of my yellow paint woes.

Apparently yellow paint is always partially opaque. Some say adding a tiny pinch of white helps. I disagree.

Yellow is one of the few colors I'll put down a primer coat for. I do a really light grey, followed by white. Then the yellow is pretty easy to do in a couple layers.

Are you priming the surface first? That has solved most of my yellow paint woes.

what prime do you use for your minimates

• 4 weeks later...