UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Translucent Spideys

Reideen1313

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm...wow...If i knew better i'd probably buy them when i got the chance. But i know three things:

FAKES PRINTED ON EITHER AN EMERALD CITY BLUE BLANK OR SDCC BLUE BLANK AND A RED SDCC BLANK.

THE GOLD HAS VERY POOR PAINT APPS TO BE A REAL SPIDEY. MARVEL HAS BEEN BAD WITH APPS, BUT NOT THAT BAD, ESPECIALLY 'ROUND THE EYES AND ANKLES.

I DON'T CARE IF IT IS REAL OR NOT. MARVEL HAS TOO MANY FREAKIN' SPIDEY'S NOW, ESPECIALLY SINCE HE'S HAD TWO WAVES ALL TOO HIMELF AND A BOX SET!!! GROW UP AND MOVE ON, MARVEL!!!

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Sorry to burst your bubble there TTF, but the Red and Blue Translucent Spideys aren't "fakes" printed on ECCC or promo figs. They were unapproved figs that were made and pictures disappeared very quickly after they first surfaced which was back in '03 I believe.

Thanks for posting the pic Reideen, I've been searching for it since I heard about 'em.

Hehe you found a copy of the minimate equivalent of the loch Ness monster huh Reid? Nice!!!

Those look really cool! Shame rumor has it (From Chuck) that Marvel poo-poo'd them being made.

As for you TTF, typing in all caps IS VERY ANNOYING, Don't ever do that again or I will come to your house and set fire to your grandma.

T.

Hehe you found a copy of the minimate equivalent of the loch Ness monster huh Reid? Nice!!!

Those look really cool! Shame rumor has it (From Chuck) that Marvel poo-poo'd them being made.

As for you TTF, typing in all caps IS VERY ANNOYING, Don't ever do that again or I will come to your house and set fire to your grandma.

T.

Mmmmmmmmmmm... bar BQed Grandma. I'm not thrilled about those Spideys(and not just because I probably wouldn't own them), they're kinda spooky. :ohmy:

Umm...wow...If i knew better i'd probably buy them when i got the chance. But i know three things:

FAKES PRINTED ON EITHER AN EMERALD CITY BLUE BLANK OR SDCC BLUE BLANK AND A RED SDCC BLANK.

It's highly unlikely that a ECCC blue blank was used. All four of the ones I have, are all to dark a tint for this.:

http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=354

And according to the MMDB this year was the first time SDCC Mates have been clear.

Does anyone know if they have ever been used prior to this year as a fairly available giveaway?

It's highly unlikely that a ECCC blue blank was used. All four of the ones I have, are all to dark a tint for this.:

http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=354

And according to the MMDB this year was the first time SDCC Mates have been clear.

Does anyone know if they have ever been used prior to this year as a fairly available giveaway?

not to mention these translucent Spideys have the old school, non-C3 feet, which haven't been used since wave 7.

BS

As long as we're proving the existence of Marvel Minimate legends of old, someone find me the picture that showed the proposed Black Spidey with grab line 2-pack that may or may not have featured Wolverine. Why should Fujis be proved as the only one at MMHQ who is not crazy?

Is it just a coincidence that photographic evidence of the "translucent Spideys" show up at or around the same time as a Sasquatch carcass?! I think not... :P

Will these turn out to be just rubber suits in a busted freezer? <_<

As long as we're proving the existence of Marvel Minimate legends of old, someone find me the picture that showed the proposed Black Spidey with grab line 2-pack that may or may not have featured Wolverine. Why should Fujis be proved as the only one at MMHQ who is not crazy?

Best I could do for you. It features BD Spidey:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&alb...00&start=20

Oh yeah, and way to go on the clear Spideys find!

Edited by Samwise Gamgee

Actually, there is still another that I don't see in this pic. There was a spidey done on a translucent blue that had both the red tampo and the black lines tampo completed. Digger had that one.

Best I could do for you. It features BD Spidey:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&alb...00&start=20

That's precisely what I was looking for. When we ran the Back in Black story, I wanted a picture of that set to show how they've tried to skirt around the "no variant rereleased" rule, but I could never find it. I knew it existed, but I just couldn't remember where I saw it or who he came with.

Meh...maybe your right, but i still feel like they would be a rip-off. Perhaps it is my DC brain speaking, but then again...

I don't think they were ever intended to be sold. Think of them as giveaway promotional items for trade shows, not yet another Spider figure to steal the slot for other yet to be released characters in a set release. Spider-Man is Marvel's most popular character and arguably one of the easiest Minimates to produce, since all you need is a blank 'mate and some paint. It makes perfect sense to give out free Spidey variants to attract attention to a product. After all, the Gold and Silver Spideys helped generate some interest in Minis due mostly to their limited release.

Okay yeah, I think these are fake! I'm not sure, but I've been around a while but I think these aren't real. I actually have red and blue blanks that are a lot darker than the ones they issued at SDCCI this year and in the right light they look like these minus the tampo. And my fake gold spidey also shares the exact same shine and sparkle as my real one.

Now As I said I've been around a while and I do remember seeing the pic from a long way back that was of the clear spideys that leaked from the factory, I wish I had saved it, so we could compare.. Anyone?!?!

I'm not saying they are fake just my personal opinion, maybe Rob from TRM would like to comment, or was this from a complete article?

I'm not saying they are fake just my personal opinion, maybe Rob from TRM would like to comment, or was this from a complete article?

Hey, I'll comment. I just had to register here to do it, and if you e-mail me it will go to my gmail account since I do not have access to my RTM mail at work (rob@toymania.com).

But I can understand some reservations about these so I'll tell you about me and what I know and you can decide on your own whether they are real or fake. And I can take other angles of these if you'd like, if there is some way you could tell from that.

First, I am one of the people who owns and runs Raving Toy Maniac (www.toymania.com). Because of this I have contact with industry people and insiders and since I have run the site for about 7 years now I have met a lot of folks behind the scenes and seen lots of stuff that never made it to the public. I know Chuck, Mike and Matt and the other guys at DST on a personal level as well as some of the folks from Art Asylum.

I bought these two minimates (actually three at the time including the gold Spidey) around 2004 or so. My memory isn't clear of the exact date, but it had to be within a year of the Gold Spideys coming out. I bought them from a toy industry insider. He is still in the industry and at the time he was close with Digger but he did not work for DST. I won't say his name because he asked me when I bought these to never say who he was since he was concerned about his job.

He also said I should never show these online, but sometime in the last few years (I think it was at Toy Fair) I mentioned to Chuck (DST Chuck) that I had purchased them and asked if he cared if I had showed them. I recall he didn't seem to mind but I can't say if Chuck remembers the conversation or not as it was over dinner I think. I remember it from Outback steakhouse in NYC and I think both Mike and Matt were there. This is just my memory of the event, their's may be different.

The gold Spidey was not numbered. There were a small amount of them made outside the actual release (maybe 5-10) of 50 that were going to friends of Digger, and that's how my contact got his.

The translucent ones were done up (by Digger I think) without any permission (which is why the pictures previously seen were hastily removed) and they were done just as a promotional things to see how they would turn out. Marvel wasn't interested and they were supposed to be destroyed since they are unlicensed. I would have to go back and see if I can find my original e-mails on these to get the proper dates and background info as I am going by memory.

When I bought the gold spidey he mentioned he had the two translucent ones and asked if I wanted them (as long as it was secret). Obviously I said yes. They were not cheap either, but I'll keep the price to myself (over $500 for the three).

I have no customizing ability at all and I couldn't make a Doombot out of a DR Doom minimate so I certainly couldn't have done it myself.

And these are the same ones that were previously photographed and showed up however briefly online.

The person I bought them from had access to Art Asylum and the people who worked there and was and still is a member of the industry. I won't say who he is or where he currently works but if he wants to come forward he can.

I can understand that it could be very easy to doubt me on this since I got it from an 'unnamed' source and you basically have to take my word for it. All I can say is that I do have access to folks who could have had this and as far as I know they are real.

You can make your own decision on this, but if I can take a picture that would prove they are real then I will, just let me know what you need to see.

-Rob

Hey Rob,

Welcome to the multiverse!

Thanks for posting, what you have said ties in with what we know about these and I don't doubt they are real.

It's just cool to finaly lay this 'myth' to rest with actual proof they exist!

T.

I believe every word you say but there are a few sceptics here that will only believe me. So please put these in an envelope & send them to the address I am about to send via PM. It's best you put the Gold Spidey in as well . I'll take some more photos (I am a well-known legend in this area)........decent shots this time.No offense!! Don't bother with any of that 'Proof of delivery' nonsense either. All the best to you Raving Rob.....love that name....amazing coincidence :ohmy: