UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Universe Online & Champions Online

Nestlé

So, I've been fairly open about the fact that down the road I will eventually buy a PS3.

I always thought the game that would cause me to do it though would be Kingdom Hearts.

Looks like there's another game coming down the pipeline though...

(I know this info is a week old, but I haven't posted in a week so...)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168556

Edited by Nestlé

You can't actually play as DC heroes?

Well if you could there'd be about 80 Batmen around and a severe lack of Penguin. I hope you ccan be a villain because I'd so fight Aquaman. Seriously, I'd be an Aquaman villain.

Yeah, it sounds good in theory, but we know anything that DC puts their hands on normally turns to crap. Mortal Kombat vs DC.......Final Crisis.................Superman Returns?!?!?!?

If it wasn't for Batman I wouldn't care if DC fell off the face of the earth :).

Now, you want to get excited about a real Super Hero Game: Champions Online

'nuff said. neo

Yeah, it sounds good in theory, but we know anything that DC puts their hands on normally turns to crap. Mortal Kombat vs DC.......Final Crisis.................Superman Returns?!?!?!?

You have obviously never played "Superman" for the NES, or "Justice League Task Force" for the SNES/Genesis!

(this is a joke)

If it wasn't for Batman I wouldn't care if DC fell off the face of the earth :).

'nuff said. neo

Wow Neo.

You managed to reference 3 things that sucked (one of them that is only at issue 2, so is still debatable) in the last 70 years.

How about we try:

Infinite Crisis, Identity Crisis, Hush, 52, Sinestro Corps War... That's 5 to counter yours.

I can see now hoe some people get annoyed when you write something off without giving it a chance.

'nuff said. neo

Wow Neo.

You managed to reference 3 things that sucked (one of them that is only at issue 2, so is still debatable) in the last 70 years.

How about we try:

Infinite Crisis, Identity Crisis, Hush, 52, Sinestro Corps War... That's 5 to counter yours.

I can see now hoe some people get annoyed when you write something off without giving it a chance.

Wow guys, MK vs DC sure does suck eh? The 5 seconds of gameplay and 8-10 screenshots REALLY just kill all my faith. I mean, only SIX playable characters!

COme on guys, aren't we better than bashing something we know so little about?

'nuff said. neo

Wow Neo.

How about we try:

and to add to Nestle's list: The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Superman for all Seasons,

and as for sucking: Aquaman video game. I think that big mistake balances out pretty much all of the good stuff. So there you go: DC is officially OK but not great

Edited by Trekker 42

Hey, I'm not going to argue. I spent years defending the GameCube, and just because they had Zelda and Mario doesn't mean it didn't suck. But, enjoy your DC and your DC game. I'll let the reviews speak for themselves when they come out. neo

I'd like to apologize to Nestle! I tend to be very opinionated. I think it's an endearing treat, my wife thinks it's annoying. You'd probably get along good with my wife, lol.

I wanted to say I'm sorry though, because of E3. First off, DC brought Jim Lee to the stage. Honestly, Jim Lee could sell me a Koran and I'm Christian, lol. He is just trust worthy and the proof is in his work. Then I heard about his passon for the game and I got excited. Then they showed the trailer and I have to say it doesn't look no where near as bad as I thought. In fact, it looked pretty good. Of course, there wasn't a lot of life in the cities, but it's still pretty early. Now, if they let you create your own Green Lantern using the Ring and your own design, I may just be buying a PS3 :D. neo

Wow...

Excellent!

I was incredibly closse to going into a rant on this thread a week ago but when it got deleted half way through I decided to hold my tongue.

It's true, you are very opinionated there Neo which only adds to the "color" and deversity of these boards... As long as you keep it in check.

Not sure if you read the earlier links but Jim Lee is designing ALL the characters.

It's too early to say if I will buy a PS3 for... The game is WAY far off, but still it's definetly got potential.

Slightly off topic:

Earlier you posted:

"If it wasn't for Batman I wouldn't care if DC fell off the face of the earth."

About a year ago weren't you watching/buying the whole run of Bruce Timm's DC Superheroes cartoon?

Change of heart or just trying to be "opinionated"?

Superman 64 is my biggest disappointment in video game history.

I LOVED the show and waited excitedly for the game... Then it was delayed... Again... And again.

When it finally came out it sucked horribly. :angry:

I'm definetly not trying to say DC's games in the past haven't sucked.

I think we've all brought up prime examples of crappy superhero games. None of them had nearly as much attention or production values as DCUO, however, and that's where my hopes lie. :thumbsup:

Jim Lee has been working on the game for almost 2 years now... Doesn't the sound of that just make your mouth salivate?

Jim Lee has been working on the game for almost 2 years now... Doesn't the sound of that just make your mouth salivate?

Jim Lee was also responsible for

("covert action teams")!

"we've got invisible power. . .we're heroes, not zeroes, we got what, they fear so here's the facts, we've got the power to the max!"

Slightly off topic:

Earlier you posted:

"If it wasn't for Batman I wouldn't care if DC fell off the face of the earth."

About a year ago weren't you watching/buying the whole run of Bruce Timm's DC Superheroes cartoon?

Change of heart or just trying to be "opinionated"?

I don't consider those the same. Bruce Timm could Direct/Produce/Write Animated Wall Paper and I'd buy the 1st season :D.

It really comes down to the Comics. I love Batman the Character and I love Kyle Rayner and I love Nightwing and that's really it. I don't like following their big series because they are confussing and hard to pick up.

That being said, all of their animated stuff (except maybe Gotham Knights) has been Stellar. I love New Frontier and Superman Doomsday (in fact, I never read that book, so that was my death of superman story). Of course, I love the Batman Animated, Batman Beyond, and JLA/JLU series.

I guess my complains is that I wish they wrote better books, because I like comic books. I like Marvel because it is grounded in a gritty type of reality that I can enjoy. I would love to pick up Superman or Green Lantern or anything like that and truly enjoy it like I do New Avengers or Iron Man or Astonishing X-Men, but they just don't compare. And for that, I have a very hard view of DC. But, I'm not going to let that keep me from enjoying something that sounds as great as DC online. And while I hate to hear about the delay, I hope they take all the time they need. Make it right, then ship it! neo

Here's the problem Neo:

I think it's good to be opinionated AS LONG AS YOU KNOW ABOUT THE MATERIAL YOU'RE DEBATING. Otherwise, it's nothing.

As someone who reads both DC AND Marvel I have to disagree.

If I had to make a broad statement about the 2 companies it would be this:

Marvel has better artists

DC has better writers

This of course has plenty of exceptions, like Jim Lee working for DC and Bendis working for Marvel.

However, Marvel has artists like Greg Land, Paul Pelletier, Jim Cheung, ect.

DC has writers like Geoff Johns, Chuck Dixon, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, ect.

You're right in that the DC train is already speeding down the track, so it can be difficult to jump on.

That is why I have suggested specific Trades to people in the past to ease them into the "big picture."

If people are intersted I normally suggest starting with something like:

Hush (A small, stream-lined cast)

Then moving onto:

Identity Crisis (A massive cast but stream-lined story)

After that I suggest somthing like 52 (due to it's big picture-story and great writing)

I love the 3 characters you brought up, they are among my favorites, but I have to ask when the last time you actually READ DC comics was?

((Oh, and BTW Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps is viewed as most as the best comic book story last year, so saying that GL & Superman don't compare to Avengers is really just saying you don't know anything about what's happening in DC))

Edited by Nestlé

Well the author obviously knows nothing about DC (Since their "rewrites to save continuity" happened like 20 years ago and Krypto the Superdog IS in current comics), but it's the first real insight we have into the game.

Like I said, too early to say if it'll be worth anything, but it's definetly the TYPE of game I want to play.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168987

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you would have asked be Pre-E3 I would say Champions without a doubt. But, after seeing DC in action and here Jim Lee (whom I love) talk about the game, I'm kinda sold. I'll still wait for more details before Pre-Ordering or anything like that, but at this point I'm going to say both. The cool thing is, I'm a PSWii60 owner, so I will pick up DC for the PS3 and Champions for the 360. I have to say right now I'm more looking forward to Champtions, I love the Art Style and it's being handled by the City of Heroes guys and I LOVED CoH! For me, the only thing that can shift the weight is if I can be a Green Lantern in DC Online. Obviously we can't be Hal or Kyle, but I would like to make my Own Green Lantern and be part of the Corps. That would be amazing!

By the way, does DC Online have a release date yet? Champtions has been pushed back to Spring of 2009! neo

I would go for Champs and only if they get it right. I'm a fan of the pen and paper champs system having played it for years on and off. I realise the online version can never be as versatile as a good GM and imagination but its a good starting point.

What actaully puts me off about Champs online is that it is being being done by the COH team I've played COH and COV and those games are the only ones I know where they add new content and the gameplay gets worse!

I used to cringe everytime new stuff was released just to thinking about what they had knackered now.