UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

I don't really love the Stone Cold 'mate. I made customs of him and Punk last year, and I think my custom looks more like Austin. You can see them here.

I've never been to a PPV, only a few Raws and Smackdowns. Well, I did go to a house show as a kid. And then in college WCW came to town, right before the NWO came in (as I recall, they played an ominous video of Hall and Nash. My most vivid memory of that show, I'm ashamed to say, is seeing Ric Flair's ass when Hulk Hogan pulled his trunks down.:unsure: I've never understood that spot, and I can't believe he's still doing that.:yucky:

Oh, and I bought a big, orange Sting foam finger; later on, a friend of mine went to see the other Sting in concert and I convinced him to take it. And another friend of mine at the WCW show bought an enormous, neon green Randy Savage cowboy hat, which we had fun with for years.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats a cool read. even if its not true its well put together.

I have been noticing some news about Jericho getting into trouble at a House Show in Brazil. Now from I've read for Me Jericho did an old bad guy trick for getting the ppl to dislike him by doing something to the country's flag (He balled it up and kicked it.)

Now it seems Brazil has some very strict rules on what you can do with their flag and didn't take kindly to it, So he apologised and that should be that.

Now this is where it gets a little funny Jericho has been suspended for this action and thats even on the WWE website. Right my quick thoughts.

I believe Jericho was just acting out his character and even has a bad guy he gets cheered most places so he used an old trick as I said to get booed. In the USA Heels mention rival sports teams to the area's they are in to get the crowd booing. In UK the same. So I see no real harm in what he did as he has apologised straight away when it was pointed out to him.

If it was such a big thing WWE should have checked up on it and laid out guidelines for the areas they are in on what's acceptable, like when they haven't taken the female wrestlers because of things dress codes in places like Abu Dabi. I think thats fine but for me its upto WWE to check the fine print of the area's.

To be honest I think they just got a little caught by surprise by it and Jericho has well as apologising has offered himself up as a scapegoat to try and defect any trouble (It also a good reason for him to be off TV while touring with Fozzy.)

Finally I have found a fan cam of the incident and the apology. The main thing of interest for me is if Brazil is so strict on what can be done with their flag I wonder if they noticed the bottom right flag with the WWE logo permanent markered on it.

They've officially made it a 30-day suspension, which means he'll probably miss the next PPV. Shame, as I think a match between him and Orton at this stage in their careers would be fantastic. I think you're right, that he's being scapegoated a bit and was just behaving in character, but I don't see what choice the WWE has if one of their stars has created an international incident. The problem with it being Jericho is that he only has a few months left before he goes off with Fozzy anyway, so it's a shame to loose him for any length of time before he goes. :(

Still, it's nowhere near as bad as what Shawn Michaels did to the Canadian flag....

one of you guys needs to find me an Elite series 11 CM Punk!!!

Best in the World!!!!!!!!!!!!

CM Punk is the only real reason that i watch wrestling still..his promos from last year (i think) were amazing. He even showed up to some comic con with the world title when he had quit after beating Cena.

He's great on the mic and a helluva worker. Until the writing gets better, in wwe and tna, there are a few workers i watch and that's really it.

Still praying for the day we get a samoa joe vs cm punk for the wwe title match.

My Son likes Punk and I agree he prob is the best at the moment. along with Brian Danielson/Daniel Bryan. it just niggles me that Punk is slighty pinching on some of Daniel Bryan's stuff.

I see Best in the World on the back of a shirt and I think ROH, its a chant they use most of the time at their Champ whomever it maybe but for me it stuck with Brian Danielson/Daniel Bryan. He used it alot if my memory serves.

At the last PPV with the Punk/Bryan match Punk used the "I have till 5 Referee" line. Now that is a line that Bryan used all the time when he played heel in ROH and it was always a crowd pleaser. I would guess Punk used it to get a laugh from Bryan and the fans who know about it watching, but my little fear is that WWE think thats cool lets make it a part of his matches and give him a shirt with it on, when its not actually Punks line.

Alex Shelley done with TNA and possibly in negotiations with the WWE. This could be great for the cruiserweight division that has been dead in the WWE since like 2000. Also, it is said that Chris Sabin is done with TNA as well. If he jumps to WWE as well, it could really improve the tag team situation as well.

Man, just imagine a program with the Motor City Machine Guns against the Kings of Wrestling in the WWE. I shouldn't even post such a thing, since it will never happen. . .but then, I would have said the same about a major Danielson/Punk feud in the WWE a few years ago.

It's too bad that Paul Heyman can't get his hands on MCMG, because they're just the kind of guys that he likes: young and unique. I'm afraid Shelley just isn't the kind of guy that's going to succeed in the WWE right now (see: Kidd, Tyson). :sad:

Sooooo... did anyone else think it was downright wrong for the poster boy of the WWE's anti-bullying campaign to beat and humiliate a non-wrestler? I get that wrestling has a long tradition of babyfaces beating up on weenie heel mouthpieces, but last night was way too much, and the wrong message from Mr. "Rise Above Hate". :confused:

Remember Punk's "pipe bomb" talk about the hypocrisy in McMahon of all people initiating an anti-bullying campaign ;)

Yeah, I can't stand junk like what we saw last night, but the kids love to see a guy get revenge, even if it's on someone much weaker who only previously ran a guy down with his words.

Not seen Raw.

I would like MCMG in WWE but I think the tag divison in WWE is weak and they would just get split up. Its a shame as WWE has lot of guys that could get over as a team. They do seem to be making a little head way by having wrestlers team together and their ring gear match so yo can tell they are a team but none I have seem to bond right.

I would find a partner for Heath Slater and push the southern rock band gimmick he is using through the two. It could be a updated version of The Freebirds a kinda heel Rockers.

WWE even has Michael PS Hayes. he could manage them and really push the old Freebird edge.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

I think the Swagger/Ziggler team could have been great, but they didn't have any interesting competition to wrestle against. And Ziggler seems destined for stardom as a singles competitor anyway, so it couldn't last forever, but that was also the case with Bret Hart, HBK, and others who moved beyond tagging to do well on their own.

Unlike singles competition, it seems tough for a tag team to really succeed without great competition, and I think the WWE just hasn't committed to providing that. They should take the b-level talent that aren't going anywhere in the singles divisions (Tyson Kidd, Kofi Kingston, Christian, Evan Bourne, Swagger, Sin Cara) find interesting pairings and just experiment on house shows. And stick them with managers! Not eye candy, but real managers who can get on the mike and create heat. Managers are one of the biggest missing elements in the WWE right now that holds the company back IMO. Look how great Heyman has been as Lesnar's lawyer. We used to see that kind of thing every week with Bobby Heenan, Heyman, Jim Cornette, hell, even guys like Lou Albano who didn't make any sense but connected with fans somehow. Now, nada.

Edited by karamazov80

I feel bad for Swagger, because I think he's got a lot of upside (great size and athleticism, unique moveset), but they've clearly given up on him. WWE did him no favors by putting the WHC on him after he'd spent several months being buried. The fans didn't believe in him as champ, even though he actually did pretty good work.

I keep waiting for them to fully unleash Ziggler. He's outgrown Vicki, clearly; they need to get him away from her and on his own, but keep him heel. Just have him loose a match with a "Vicki can't be your manager anymore" stip. They have a crying need for ME-level heels, and Ziggler's the complete package, being wasted jobbing to the likes of Clay. Sure, he can make Clay look like a million bucks, but wouldn't he be better used against Cena, Orton, and Punk?

BTW, K80, do you realize that one of the "b-level talent that aren't going anywhere in the singles divisions" is one half of the tag team champs? I'll let you figure out who.:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I'm at least intrigued by Mr. Ziggles' storyline. If only for him getting decent air time and some type of a story every week. But it seems he is definitely being tested. Main event on Sunday (yeah, filling the void of all these main eventers being "MIA"). Played the good-guy-beaten-down role for all the match last night. Champ by end of year?

As for the tag division, I liked Zig/Swag and thought they'd have at least a long feud chasing the titles just to make use of the titles and talent involved. But it seems like the focus is now on the Prime Time Players. They were entertaining on NXT for a while so I'm glad they got called up. Didn't think they needed AW in their camp, though. Hopefully Kidd/Gabriel gets over with their high flying stuff so there is another contender in the running to make the division interesting.

Not seen the WWE PPV yet but did watch TNA Slammiversary (TNA airs on free TV in UK including the PPVS)

The first Match was great Austin Aries Vs Samoa Joe. I really enjoyed it 2 guys showing what can be done not the same old Sting, Hogan, Flair show.

Second match was ok as well Hernadez is a beast of a guy when he gets going.

After that I have to say bit of a let down, 3 way was passable. Female match was the same as all the others. Crimson bores me.

The anything goes match was better then expected just down to Abyss/Joseph actually showing some good facial expressions and really playng the character.

Tag Match was great 4 excellent wrestlers with a varity of styles. This and the opener where the matches of the night.

Final match with Sting and Bobby Roode was what I expected, glad Roode won but TNA really need to create some credable face threats for him. As rolling out the WCW old guard gets boring. I am actually worried his next face feud wont be someone like James Storm but TNA pulls a surprise return for Jarrett and he goes straight to the main event. If Jarrett goes over we are back to how it always is in TNA/WCW just keeping the old guys employed.

Didn't watch the PPV or Raw, but I hear that Ziggler was way over with the smark NY/NJ crowd. No surprise there. I think WWE recognizes that he's really valuable as "the guy we can put with the green guys we're trying to get over and he'll make them look like a million bucks", but he really needs more. I think they'll be making a big mistake if they turn him face, though, as there's a HUGE void at the top for young heels. I think they should build him up as the next challenger to Punk and put Ziggler over, then have him successfully defend against Cena. Boom, instant, credible ME-level heel.

BTW, how hot was AJ in that Kane getup?:wub:

Edited by hellpop

Ah, Samoa Joe. I wish he was in WWE too but not sure how WWE would handle him. I think he'd quit before doing a Brodus Clay dancing gimmick or something foolish. But I'd love to see him in matchups with all the top WWE stars. Austin Aries is very impressive too since he came back to TNA.

And did anyone else think Harley Quinn when they saw AJ in the Kane inspired outfit? More of her skipping on TV please! In random matches too!

Anyone else watch the new NXT that just debuted? It was nice to see a more wrestling oriented wrestling show with minimal bells and whistles. But it's WWE, the shenanigans will come eventually to NXT but it was a breath of fresh air.

I didn't know how much I missed JR's commentary until I sat through the entire show. Regal seemed more focused too. Kidd was great with McGillicutty in the main event. Lots of new faces. And I'm liking the Ascension tag team. The division is missing the big bad brawlers and they have an interesting gimmick that I think is more production. But they delivered it in the ring and seem to be a credible threat. Either way, they got my attention and that's a good thing. Can't wait to finally see what Seth Rollins is about and to see Bray Wyatt (Husky Harris).

• 2 weeks later...