UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dead superheroes at a theme park?!

NorthRaider

From the Wikipedia article on Universal Studios Orlando's annual Halloween Horror Nights event:

Marvel Superhero Island was first used as a scarezone in 2002. In its incarnation, "Island Under Siege" it would be taken over at night by the Marvel villains. The Superheroes were either dead or had been defeated, while Carnage, Scream, an army of chainsaw gangs, supervillains, scarred police officers, and the Punisher, roamed the streets. Flamethrowers, broken-down cars, and junkyard debris littered the streets. The main attraction was "Maximum Carnage", Carnage's haunted maze. The island came under fire for its portrayal of the heroes. Props implying that well known superheroes had died upon them inside the Maximum Carnage attraction were used. The portrayal of villains was perhaps another. For whatever reason, Universal has not focused the island on its Marvel heroes since, and instead used the area as a generic cityscape with bikers, mutated residents of a toxic spill, and more innocuously, a party zone with stilt walkers dressed as Dracula and Frankenstein.

Of course, given that this was an amusement park "for kids", the rendering of the whole thing would have been nigh cheesy. Still, it still would've been cool to have actually been there. I can actually imagine how eerie it would have been: like walking into an alternate universe where Spider-Man, Captain America, X-men, et al. really were mauled to death by a feral symbiote, their mutilated corpses put on display in the middle of a kiddie carnival for all to see :devil:

... Okay, long story short is that I'm dying to know how this whole thing turned out then. I've tried Googling for days to no avail. Given that flash photography might've been restricted then, by any chance does anybody here know anyone who actually saw "Island Under Siege" back in '02?

I like that various supervillains, mutants, deformed freaks, and for some reason, the Punisher, roam the streets after the superhero apocalypse or whatever :lol:

I would have liked to have seen that, though I figured any interest in Carnage would have ended circa 1994.

I would have liked to have seen that, though I figured any interest in Carnage would have ended circa 1994.

Really? I always kinda liked Carnage - at least visually. In fact, i've been hanging out for a Maximum Carnage MiniMate BoxSet for ages. Carnage; Shreik; Doppleganger & Demogoblin. Schwing!!!!

Maybe i have slightly fonder memories of the Carnage years because he was a major player just after i jumped on board with Marvel.

EDIT: PS - He also made an appearance again recently in the recent, decades-spanning Spiderman & the X-Men mini-series.

Edited by Nessex

Really? I always kinda liked Carnage - at least visually. In fact, i've been hanging out for a Maximum Carnage MiniMate BoxSet for ages. Carnage; Shreik; Doppleganger & Demogoblin. Schwing!!!!

I just think of him as one of those 90s trends, that was really hot for a while, then kind of faded into obscurity. He was the star of video games and everything back in those days, but I haven't heard much from old Carnage since. Being a very casual comic fan, though, it is highly possible that I am wrong.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for the thread Resurrection; but I {finally; after 4 years} managed to actually find footage of the maximum carnage makeover.

Even though this is completely cheesy, I would have loved to see it in real life. I wish they would bring it back; I would love to see something like this done right. Marvel Zombies maybe? Goblins?