UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Super 8

gambitron

So I didn't see or find a thread about this one which surpises me but anyway, my wife and I went and saw this one at midnight this last Thursday night and were blown away by how incredible this movie is. We are big JJ Abrams fans and that along with the great yet cryptic trailers were enough to get us a really excited for this one. Add in a great soundtrack by Michael Giacchino and this was shaping up to be amazing. With it being produced by Spielberg you might think it would be a ripoff of his movies but it didn't feel that way at all. It did feel like you took what was awesome from Goonies, War of the Worlds, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and E.T. and put it in one new and unique movie. It had gerat comedy, drama, and scary moments. Even if you have no idea what this movie is about you should still go see it, I don't think it would be possible to be disappointed with this movie. It is great from beginning to end and the stuff playing with the end credits is awesome!

Any one else see this?

Edited by gambitron

Cool. . .what was awesome about War of the Worlds again? :lol:

I do plan on catching this one on the DVD eventually. Looks like too many lens flares for my taste based on the commercials, though. JJ needs to reign that $h!t in, IMO.

From what I have read this is getting a positive reaction from most sides. I wasn't going to bother with it but I think I will as it seems to be throwback to Spielberg's kid driven movies like you mentioned, ET and Goonies.

I was never a big ET fan but I do like The Goonies.

I caught it Friday night and to be honest I haven't thought about it since. It was alright, but by no means will it go down as a "must see" movie for 2011. I agree with gambitron that it had it's moments, but all in all it felt like it was lacking in the last third of the film (IMO). I won't go into details of my thoughts about the alien until more members here have seen the film first. As I told my friend who accompanied me to see it, "Consider Super 8 a pallet cleanser before we see Green Lantern next Friday."

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I'm mostly a JJ fan because of MI:3 and Star Trek. He's proven he can make good movies, but unless it is a real action blockbuster then I won't go out of my way to see it in theaters.

During LOST, I lost alot of respect for JJ with the terrible plot holes and complete lack of followup or resolution.

You mean Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. JJ most likely didn't have much to do with those issues as he wasn't heavily involved with much of Lost. He did the overarching concept but I can't believe he envisioned the ending.

See first Trivia bullet point:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/J.J._Abrams

I heard of the movie but it didn't get on my radar until I heard JJ's name attached. Might check it out later just because its JJ.