UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Fast and the minis

Okay, so what does Speed Racer do?

When playing with -- er, setting up miniMate displays, the Marvel ones are easy: they fight. Street Fighter: ditto. LotR 'mates defend Frodo. Logo mates hang with their buddies.

But Speed? All I remember the kid doing is driving. And since he doesn't really fit in the miniMach, I've consigned the car to storage. Which leaves Speed standing around in his socks. Hmmm. If only Trixie were around, she'd know what to do.

I have him as a random person getting the crap beaten out of him by Venom & Carnage. I used to have him looking enviously at Batman in his Batmobile, but then I realised how much I dislike the speed mates and desided that having symbiotes torture them would be a better plan.

I wonder if there will be a follow up series with Spritle and Chim Chim? Maybe a Pops (using the Kingpin or Doc Ock body) and Trixie?

I can see it now...

Coming to a store near you in.... 2022... B):P

I dunno maybe they will do a whole range of (I think Ady has found the perfect renaming for this series) "sockmates"... it's not like everything else is being held up ;)

T.

I honestly don't understand the hate, it's like someone has replaced all the people I used to know!! Save me Captain Kirk!

Er, anyway.

There were a few other Speed Racer prototypes shown at Toy Fair:

here and here which contain at least two other characters:

Hooray for hot anime female goodness!

I'm betting this was a villain. Looks evil!

The last two links now work!

I honestly don't understand the hate, it's like someone has replaced all the people I used to know!! Save me Captain Kirk!

You will understand!

Im tempted to do an alternate review now :P as this is the first time in the history of me reading MMC we have disagreed!

Go on Ady, I'd be very interested to see a review.

I am, of course, not suggesting for an instant that everyone else is wrong and I am right. It's just that the amount of hate the Speed Racer figures have got, the sheer volume of vitriol arising from people I have great respect and regard for, I just don't get it.

Go on Ady, I'd be very interested to see a review.

I am, of course, not suggesting for an instant that everyone else is wrong and I am right. It's just that the amount of hate the Speed Racer figures have got, the sheer volume of vitriol arising from people I have great respect and regard for, I just don't get it.

Ok to answer Dannys comment, this isn't Bashing of anyone or anything but merely a chance to explain why I see SR getting a bashing.

I think that it comes from these being the first of the new minimate regime, having waited ages for anything new, supposedly due to moving factories etc and having the series we really wanted to see possibly bumped for these, then yes they were a strong indicator of feeling and that was that these were spectacularly 'average'.

Like you I never grew up with speed so dont have that to draw me in. To me they are two very plain minimates that seem rushed out to fit a license AA happened to get hold of... not the signs we wanted from the first new minimates in a long time... I guess the concern is that is this the shape of things to come.

T.

Hmmm... Test the waters with mates that can be reused (Cyclons) or don't require new molding (Speed and his big brother) to gauge interest in continuing lines? Trixie and the Baddie all sport new molding.

'course a Speed Racer 4-pack for TRU needs those two to.... well... be a 4-pack...

I honestly don't understand the hate, it's like someone has replaced all the people I used to know!!

It's the shoes! Why the fudge they couldn't have black shoes is beyond me :rolleyes:

Also the car sucks, Ady's hit the nail on the head, it's the quality of a happy meal toy. I'm hoping for the Deluxe Vehicle set for a birthday/x-mas present just so Speed can have a decent ride <_<

I only bought the Speed pack not the Racer X, hopefully they'll release a 4 pack of just the minis!

Oddly, the control art shows Speed in white boots as well. We should have seen it coming! Odder still, Speed's hair looks different than what we got, and it looks like Racer X is actually wearing something over his head (you have to look closely, but you can see two layers to his head in the control art.

I'm thinking they rushed to get something out and this was the end result. The control art does show a bit more thought than the finished product. I don't mind lengthy delays, so long as they keep us informed and the end result is something we can be happy with. It'll be interesting to see if the Kellogg's mates keep all their sculpted parts between the mock up and the end result.

The main gimmick with Speed Racer was the actual car. The Mach 5 had a buttload of gadgets that each had a use in a certain situation. The removeable canopy, the hawk, the traction wheels, the sawblades, etc...

If we get another batch of SR Minimates in the future, we should get a Mach 5 with all (or most) of the add-ons that were in the show.

I know they're planning a regularly-scaled Mach 5 /w 6-inch figure, but we friggin need a Minimate version.

The main gimmick with Speed Racer was the actual car. The Mach 5 had a buttload of gadgets that each had a use in a certain situation. The removeable canopy, the hawk, the traction wheels, the sawblades, etc...

If we get another batch of SR Minimates in the future, we should get a Mach 5 with all (or most) of the add-ons that were in the show.

I know they're planning a regularly-scaled Mach 5 /w 6-inch figure, but we friggin need a Minimate version.

As cool as a tricked out Mach 5 would be, I doubt we'll see it in minimate scale. The tools and toys would be too miniature for use, plus given what we got the first time around, I doubt they'll change the formula should the line continue. Oddly enough, they seem to be selling well here in Greenville, as I've seen the peg restocked twice and the overflow stock that they stash in the overhead "bin" has long since gone.

Yeah, I hear you drgnrbrn316, but of all the Minimate things I dream about, that idea of SixWayShot's -- a tricked-out Mach 5 -- would be the coolest.

Maybe, just maybe, if the BSG ships sell well, AA will start considering vehicles to go with their characters. Although I can imagine they're somewhat gunshy after C3...