UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimate scale?

cdubya

Ok, we all know that the original contract for DST's minimates were strictly limited to 2" (and NO vehicles). Now that DC mini's have broke the scale-barrier with 2.5", can we expect a revision to the original Marvel contract? This question has been burning in my head since I first saw the promo-art for the new DC line, and I can't believe that no one has addressed this yet(then again, I'm sure that their hands are extremely full at the moment trying to juggle all of these new releases). Does anyone have any info pertaining to this, or how long the original license was for?

I really hope it doesnt, as I want some new characters, not re-issues of existing mates in a new scale.

I totally agree on the "new characters" part, but what if somewhere down the line they could slip-in a 2.5"Hulk with an Abomination, Juggernaut/ classic Beast(or other X-Men), or a new Thanos with say Adam Warlock(or Nova,etc.). Not all at once, but spread-out over a few waves that were completely new. These would themselves be new figures with different paint app.s(not an exact re-issue). Or perhaps as Exclusives of some sort(con, AFX, etc.)? The point being that all larger-sized characters in the near future would (new and a very few old) be appropriately (well, for minimates) scaled.

They attempted the 3" Giant Man for the Ultimate Avengers DVD and it didn't fly. I believe Chuck has said numerous times that it has to stay a 2" figure block.

That I can understand(although it would have been glorious!), but what exactly (besides the previous contract) is hindering this from happening in the specialty-market Marvel line? Competition(I know that MegaBloks has a license), a pre-set timeline for existing contract, or just an unwillingness to revise a new contract? What makes the other licenses (besides being different contracts with different companies) exceptional?

Jatta Pake how much were those Elronds? And as for the scale I'm content with all the stuff I got. DC keep up the good work. And what was this about a 3" Giant Man. When did that pop up? Sorry if this was already discussed. :P

I may be alone on this, but I hate the fact that DC is doing different scales!

I'll take all 2-inchers anyday.

I agree part of my original interest in Minimates is they are so small yet so articulated. All the minute detail looks very intricate on the 2 inch scale. Making them bigger kinda goeas against the term Minimate don't you think? Not that I won't still buy one of all of them (I see you bidding on that Mr.T Ady).

;)

You're not alone. They can't fit with my Marvel on different scales. As far as I know, this is the only toy line to have Marvel and DC in the same exact style. 2-inch should be the universal size.

Actually, the 1st line to have both Marvel and DC in the same scale was the old school Mego stuff.

You're not alone. They can't fit with my Marvel on different scales. As far as I know, this is the only toy line to have Marvel and DC in the same exact style. 2-inch should be the universal size.

Yeah. I was really unhappy at the announcement of the 2.5" DC stuff. Sorry, but I want all 2" all the way around.

Huh, interesting. So the majority would have been equally pleased with a 2" Galactus? Or in the (unlikely)event of a 2" Puck(Alpha Flight)? I'm amazed at how many of you are bothered by a 1/2" difference to reflect the difference in specific character's stature; they're STILL "mini". Sure the graphic nature of Minimates lends itself to more leaniency in scale than a more realistic action figure (Wolverine and others are acceptable), but some characters are drastically larger(or smaller) than others and this is very much an important part of their character's persona. I'm not a huge "scale-nazi" or anything (especially where MMs are concerned), however I do believe that "minor" details(such as height and/or girth:Kingpin, Doc Ock for example) better capture a character's essence where neccessary. If you were to remove the chest-pieces, are they as convincing? I don't think so. So why would you be content with a Hulk(or "sprout" as I like to call him:Green Giant commercial reference) that is the same (actually shorter) height as Electra and Gwen Stacy?

Yeah, it would be interesting to have varying scales of figures, but it just isn't going to happen. We get no vehicles because LEGO and Megabloks hold the license for building toy figures. We get no height because someone else holds the license there (though who that is or what they're doing with it is beyond me). I'm content with the size restriction because a vast majority of the universe falls within a few inches of one another. For things like Galactus and the Sentinel, those have to be larger, but just about anything else can be captured just as nicely in the 2" scale. For the slightly larger characters like Hulk, Rhino, Thing, etc, I've contented myself to just fashioning bulked up chest pieces for them. Gives them a larger look without making them larger. For the "giants" like Giant Man, etc, I've just been using the 2.5" scale to customize them. I've found that anything larger just loses the cuteness of the minimate look. As for Puck, Wasp, and other tiny characters, well, I don't think you can go any smaller than 2" without losing articulation and making detail work a nightmare.

Actually, the 1st line to have both Marvel and DC in the same scale was the old school Mego stuff.

Yeah, the fact that Mego made Hulk shorter than most of the other guys still haunts me.

It was my understanding that the scale issue with Marvel Minimates had to do with Toy Biz. Now that Hasbro holds the license, who knows what changed if anything.

Someone at DST would have to be willing to nag Marvel. I'm not sure anyone there in a position to do so really cares. Just a feeling I get from the Q&As.

Bottom line is it could happen (since neither Hasbro nor Toy Biz has any interest in the block figure category) but unfortunately it isn't looking likely.