UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Customizing Questions

I am trying to do some customizing but do know what to do for easy to do. I have read that sharpies are used a lot but when I colored one of my minimates blue via a sharpie but it smears and rubs off. So I want to know how to fix problem.

I am also looking for info about anyone that makes Star Trek decals or stickers for Minimates. I want to make a crew for my minimates but can't afford to keep buying star trek mates and would be willing to convert my BSG mates I bought to use for parts. I have two of the Orion Slave Girl and I repainted one of them to have a gold dress with purple details and a gold arm band. I just need to find some wild hair for her. I was going to use President Roslin's hair but it is to plain. I then thougt about using Cheetah's hair but it has ear on it and I do not have the same shade of green to paint them to match. I may give her Athena's Hair to make her look more regal than the original Vina.

Any way, any help would be appreicated in making the crew of the USS Enterprise or even commander Riker. I have two Picards and was thinking how to make a Riker. I even may make a Deanna Troi from Ilia's body and then using Red Son Wonder Woman's hair. I would make Troi as she appeard in "Encounter at Fairpoint since Ilia's dress is sort of like that style already just needs repainted.

Thank you,

CaptainPaco.

To get started, I would recommend reading through the Customization threads, there are a lot of them with lots of great info and tips for beginners.

Sharpies are great for small details, but if you are trying to cover an entire minimate, you should use an acrylic model paint like Citadel, or others.

If you are planning on making decals, you will want to use a good image manipulating program, like Photoshop or Illustrator. There's a free one called GIMP that I use and have great results with.

Luke314pi sells different types of decal paper on his website, www.lukestoystore.com.

He also has a great site for beginning customs: www.minimatefactory.com

I can't really help too much with customising but this might help although I'm not sure of the shipping etc. http://www.cornerstorecomics.com/index.cfm...Product_ID=1067

If that doesn't help (wrong series?)send me a PM & I'll try & help out with a few crew-members that might well be languishing in my Enterprise brig . I'll maybe release them to your care ;)

I personally use acrylic and enamel paint for my minimates. I also use extra fine tip paint markers and sharpies for my details. X-Acto blade work great for carving in detail to hair.(Did that for my minimate of Zoey from Left 4Dead) They also are good for scraping away certain details if done gently.

I plan on making Star Trek TNG decals at some point. I definitely want to have the whole crew on my shelf. Like youbastards mentioned above, I have several minimate customizing tutorials at the Minimate Factory. Click on the banner in my signature, and then click on Tutorials at the top menu. I am happy to answer any other questions you might have that aren't covered there. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Luke314pi,

I would difinitely purchase decals from you for Star Trek or even if you customized Star Trek Minimates I would purchase them from you. I am really wanting a Worf, Data, Geordi, Deanna and Riker for my collection. I even want an O'Brien in my collection.

I am not good at sculpting but would consider painting and decaling to make my crew.

I will be keeping up on your site to see how you are coming. I am a fan of your work and visit your site frequently. I am thinking of purchasing a few Obama minimates but have not figured out how many I want yet.

Thank you,

CaptainPaco

Looking for Customs that can be made without sculpting or massive painting and without any Marvel parts as I never got into collecting Marvel Minimates. I got into it for Star Trek and DC and I want to make customs to go with either of those franchise. I am looking for Namor and the Atlatian Solder so I can make an Andorian from the blue skined figure. I am open to some minor details if needed but something a sharpie can do.

I have made a custom Captain Janeway, Gladiator McCoy and Admiral Kirk after he took over the Enterprise in Star Trek the Motion Picture. I thus also havea small crew to go with the main characters (four and three of them are science department people).

I have some BSG Mates to use as parts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Captain Paco

Thank you, Luke314pi. I never thought about the Parts Exchange. However the Star Trek quickcustoms in the list were from me. I did add what I was looking for to the parts exchange site. I hope to see your decals sooner than later because that would be awesome. I just do not have the ability to design well in computer programs. I would like to suggest that you make commbadges for all versions because they do vary slightly. I would trying to find a female hairpiece that would work for Deanna Troi then I will be trying to make her (without any commbadge until your decals come out.)

Thank you for your assistance and direction.

CaptainPaco

I made my Andorian minimate. Actually I made two, one I am calling the Commander and the other I am calling the Soldier. I used BSG parts and the heads and hands from the Atlanten Soldiers. I used one white hair piece from a Deathstroke minimate since I lost him to my nephew and then the rest of the parts are BSG or from Namor who came with the Atlantean soldier. I did not do any painting. I uses a blue paper clip for the antenne and I pushed then into the hair pieces and then used a small drop of superglue to secure them.

I have not given then any pupils in their eyes because I think they look more sinister with the just white eyes.

AndorianMinimates10101.jpg

Commander Andorian and Soldier Andorian (wearing green)

Please share what you think. Next I am working on Loki and Bele minimates.

I did a quick custom of Mirror Scotty.

MirrorScottMinimates10101-1.jpg

Here is my quick custom of Captain Janeway. (Commander Sisko body, BSG female head/hair and flesh hands.)

JanewayMinimateprotoype1-1.jpg

Edited by Captain Paco

• 1 month later...

I have sort of dropped the ball on my customs. I am skipping my Deanna Troi and Bele/Loki. I have made a revamped Orion Slave Girl, simply did a repaint of her dress and swapped her hair with Cheetah's and make the ears green. I did a head swap to get Kirk as he appeared in "Where No Man Has Gone Before". I made a few modifications to a second Borg mate to make him look a little different. I am also in the mood to use Namor's Hair and Sarek's head to mae a Romulan form the TOS era. I hope to have some time over the holidays to tinker with my ideas and then hope to share some images with you here.

Matty-lad, you have a great looking set of customs for City on the Edge of Forever, Kirk and Spock is very nice. I was thinking of making a Kirk but was at a loss for how to pull off Spock with the cap. I like Lt. Givers as well.

Edited by Captain Paco

I have sort of dropped the ball on my customs. I am skipping my Deanna Troi and Bele/Loki. I have made a revamped Orion Slave Girl, simply did a repaint of her dress and swapped her hair with Cheetah's and make the ears green. I did a head swap to get Kirk as he appeared in "Where No Man Has Gone Before". I made a few modifications to a second Borg mate to make him look a little different. I am also in the mood to use Namor's Hair and Sarek's head to mae a Romulan form the TOS era. I hope to have some time over the holidays to tinker with my ideas and then hope to share some images with you here.

Matty-lad, you have a great looking set of customs for City on the Edge of Forever, Kirk and Spock is very nice. I was thinking of making a Kirk but was at a loss for how to pull off Spock with the cap. I like Lt. Givers as well.

Hey,

Thanks for the compliments. Got a few more to put up. Should get around to it tomorrow. Stay tuned.........

Take care,

Matty-lad

• 11 months later...

Well, I hope to get a custom made Mugatu done soon. I have done a few simple head swaps and have now made McCoy and Spock from the episode "Bread and Circuses" to go with Gladiator Kirk. I have ordered some swords for them and will be paining sheilds for them soon to match the color they each had in the episode. I have made Bele and Loki from "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" but they are are merely on a few extra Pike bodies for now until I decide I want to paint two bodies grey. I have not modified my Andorians since I made them but have been pondering that action. I have two TOS/TOS Movie era Romulan-looking mates. I am going to attempt to make a new skirt for an Orion Woman since I have one that did not come with a skirt in set of bodies/parts I got from TM2 Dinobot. I have ordered a few minimates to use for parts. I am going to try to make M'Ress, who was the feline crew member on the Animated Star Trek Series but I will make her as I think she would look with some Uhura and Cheetah parts. I am also working on a Regular Universe Marlena Moreau and Mirror Universe Nurse Chapel. Just can't get the hair the way I feel it needs to be.

I will post images of them all as soon as I get them done and photographed.

Have a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some of the new quick customs I have been working on.

My modified Captain Janeway (different hairpiece from last image posted)

CaptainKathrynJaneway.jpg

Trials and Tribble-ations Captain Sisko

TrialsandTribble-ationsSisko.jpg

TOS Doctor M'Benga

DoctorMBenga.jpg

I will share more later.

Edited by Captain Paco

• 2 months later...

I ordered some custom Star Trek TNG decals for my customizing ideas. Soon, once they arrive I will be working to get my figures made. Riker will be the easiest in my opinion. I am going to try Dr. Crusher and Data for now. I do have a DS9 O'Brien decal coming as well. I also plan on doing a part swapping to make VGER Chakotay and Paris to go with my custom Janeway. I will be working on a LaForge as well. Once I get all them done, I will look to work on a Mugatu and Worf.

I have not received the decals as of this posting but I ordered them from Luke314pi and I know they will make my other customs like second-class mates. I can't wait for them to arrive, as I am rushing home from work every day to get the mail.

I will attempt to snap all new photos of my slew of customs once I am done with my TNG crew.

Hey,

I think when your customs have finished, use a piece of white paper as your background, and also move a bit further back from the minimate, if you have Macro mode on your camera make sure it is switched on and your camera is well supported (tripod) if you dont have one use a small cd cover or hardback book.

I hope this doesn't come across as critical, but as Bob said above, you have put great effort into your customs and if you could get the pictures clearer we'd be able to see the work and details. My advice i put forward is just some friendly advice so you can get better feedback on these.

In friendship

Rich

I am still working, but I wanted to share my custom Movie Uniform Uhura (still need to paint earings but I am happy with her so far). I also have my attempt at making a decal however it is just paper that I glued to the chest and sharpie'd the arms to make my custom Troi. I used a Mirror Marlena's hair and a face from the small stock of heads I have, not sure where it really came from. Troi is pictured with my Insurrection Picard custom (who is mainly a head&hand swap with a Captain Sisko figure).

MovieUhura1.jpg

FCPicard7thTroi.jpg

I will be showing more once I get the decals from Luke and get my TNG Crew done, or at least those I can do for now.

I am looking to see why my focus will not remain once I snap the images on my camera or I will see if I can use my wife's camera.

I wanted to add to this topic by saying I started a new topic called "CaptainPaco's Customs" I will no longer be following this topic and will have all my customs posted in my new topic as well any I come up with in the future.

Thank you for reviewing this topic and I hope you will follow my custom work with my new topic.

Live Long and Prosper.

Edited by Captain Paco