UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Red Stripe Cylons

I want to embark on a project that will furnish me with a decent amount of Red Stripe Cylons........sorely missing IMO in the BSG Minimate world. I appreciate that one was produced,I have some,but I don't intend to buy more of the ships just to get the Cylon which ,again IMO ,isn't that special or accurate to the show. In the show the Cylons looked like they were sprayed with an aerosol applied red paint & this is the effect I want to reproduce. Any ideas? I'm also concerned that the colour red perhaps isn't quite the right shade on the official Minimate version .

just had a quick look on the database, seems a very straight forward stripe, you could trace the shape, make a little template, cut out of card, and actually spray it on.

sorry if that obvious/of no help

Nothing to do with this stuff is obvious to me ;) I'd considered spraying with a can but would the spray be fine enough ? The stripes on the Cylons in BSG were very graffiti-like painted haphazardly right to left OR left to right diagonally & were not solid like the standard mate. I don't want to be too anal about this but if I'm going to do it I might as well get it right :D

Edited by buttheadsmate

Nothing to do with this stuff is obvious to me ;) I'd considered spraying with a can but would the spray be fine enough ?

Probably if you kept the can at a far enough distance and made sure the paint wasn't cold.

Although if you have an airbrush you might get better results.

T.

An airbrush has a finer range compared to spray paint, but if you were to tape a straw or something to either one, you could get even more of a controllable range. I have an airbrush and it works wonders more than spray paint.

Another suggestion would be to just tape around where you will paint/spray and just paint/spray it on. If you leave the tape a tad loose it'll give you the look of the "hand sprayed" graffiti look you want.

Hope that helps!

how do you mean? as in too thick? it shouldn't be a problem getting a red spray, the same as one used for undercoating models/miniatures etc.

well, i apologise for the crude picture, i am supposed to be working...

fg.jpg

if you cut out a 'template' (the black rectangle) in the shape of the 'sash', and sprayed the Cylon straight on, it should well prevent any red getting on the rest of the mate.

I'd cut out bobafett's template and use a toothbrush in case you don't have airbrush equippment. Just put on the paint and use your thumb rubbing over the toothbrush so the paint gets sprayed/spread over the template. Of course, you should try it first on something else, not the 'mate to see how it looks like.