UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

eBay selling advice

I have an ebay related question I'd like some advice on and thought I'd ask for some opinions here (I didn't want to ask in the Flea Market forum since I didn't want anyone to think I was actually selling something). Here's the nuts and bolts of the question: which would be better-to sell a whole collection as a lot, break it up in chunks or sell it all individually?

The long story short is over this year I've pieced together an almost complete collection of DC and C3 Minimates. They were all leftovers from other lots I bought for other reasons and I realized that if I put them together I had almost everything. With a little more searching, I'm now down to only needing one more to be totally complete (stupid Clayface) and other than Martian Manhunter's alternate headpiece, I believe I have all accessories also. This has been my 'rainy day' fund and in September I'm expecting some rain so look to sell everything come August sometime. I usually sell stuff on eBay individually, but have never had the chance to sell a complete set of something like this and it's not like there's been many auctions for stuff like this. So I'm asking for advice. I've got my own pros and cons list made, but don't want to list them here yet because I don't want to taint anyone's feedback. And yes, I do realize there are many members here that would love to have an enitre set of these or many of the ones I have and I'm not trying to make anyone jealous or show off, it's just this has really become an investment of money and some time for me and I figured who better to get advice from than the people who look for these figures.

So, is anyone willing to offer their advice (or snide comments/bad puns/off-topic remarks)? It's all welcome.

OK I took the bait & as a mark of friendship between nations (not you & I, I very much stress :yucky: ) I'll complete that collection with a Clayface & a Martian mullet......I'll add them to your elusive Pile of Loot.

I'll be back with a non-pun,on-topic,refreshingly adult comment later.....when I've thought about it.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I actually think your ebay auctions are spot on & you need little help from me but;

Sell Wave One separately,sell the JLA guys as a set with Manhunter. Sell the C3 guys (Minus Manhunter)as a set & emphasise the fact they have ALL their accessories .....unlike Baldies . Strip out the remaining cream & sell the remaining 30 or so as a block.

There are very few bad DC 'mates......bad character choices perhaps .....but not bad 'mates . I love them.

i do think you'll need at least one large lot as BHM stated... there are quite a few DC mates which still clog shelves/ebaying listings, which would seem impossible to offload if sold individually.

you could sell...

C3 Manhunter

C3 lot (all the rest)

DCD

wave 1 (these days... are a lot harder to get hold of than any other DC mates)

DCD lot (all the rest)

Dude, you're an ADULT. Quit playing with little kid toys. What's the matter with you? Idiot.

/snide remarks. ;)

On a more serious note, I've sold a lot of stuff on ebay over the years, and in my experience I've found that listing separately is almost always the way to go.

Always list the more sought after figures by themselves. If you have some that are not real popular with buyers, then you list those in a groups of 5 or 10 each. I tend to pick a few characters and search some completed auctions to find out which ones are duds and which will be good sellers.

As BHM says, I suspect you have as good a sense regarding eBay sales as anyone here GH, but I'm happy to throw my 2 cents in if you are interested.

Always list the more sought after figures by themselves. If you have some that are not real popular with buyers, then you list those in a groups of 5 or 10 each. I tend to pick a few characters and search some completed auctions to find out which ones are duds and which will be good sellers.

Though this might have been my answer in times past, I have seen an interesting trend with Minimate auctions that makes me think you might consider doing otherwise. If I were in your situation, at this moment in time, I probably would not sell the more popular figures/sets by themselves. Yes, you would get lots of money for those, but you will probably get next to nothing for the more unpopular releases sold together separately.

If, however, you release lots of the crappy/unpopular DC sets with only one or two desirable 'Mates thrown in (off-hand, the most desirable being DCD regular Superman, blue/gray Batman, Luthor, Hal Jordan GL, Joker, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, and from the C3 line, Manhunter), then you are going to get the same folks bidding highly for the desirable 'Mates, while also creating the illusion that the auction contains much more, when in fact, the auction may only contain that figure plus a handful of lesser Minimates that folks can't give away.

I think this has contributed to a number of "WTF??" large lots we have seen recently. A bunch of useless garbage plus a comic Deadpool equals $$$$

Good luck with it!

Edited by karamazov80

OK I took the bait

Well, the only thing I was fishing for was advice, but if othe fish just want to jumo into the boat, I guess I'll have to accept (if only to maintain international friendships-happy July 4th by the way).

There's some good ideas so far (thanks for the different perspectives). Here's my list of pros & cons, most of which I base off of my past experience and what i see happen in other auctions:

pros for selling individually

-individual auctions (almost) always get much more per figure as a whole

-sheer enormity of selling one of everything

-more auctions=more exposures=more attention=more bidders

-more people get what they're looking for (which, although I like to make money from this, I do enjoy this part alot)

-combining shipping can make crappy figures sell for more because people are already buying something else

cons for selling individually

-91 pictures to take,91 auctions to list, 91 auctions to manage (with combined shipping, there would be much less than 91 packages to ship, but there's still the high potential for a huge number)

-selling waves 4-6 & 8 may not bring in as much to justify the effort

-individualy fees to eBay and Paypal add up quickly

pros for selling as a set

-easier to manage (one picture, one auction, one package to ship)

-everything sells (regardless of how bottom of the barrel the figure is)

-sheer enormity of selling a complete collection

-less in fees to eBay and Paypal

cons for selling as a set

-lots almost always sell for less per figure than individually

-less exposure (one auction inthe midst of 4000+)

-one person goes home with everything (probably a dealer who will turn around and re-list them all with otrageous BIN prices)

pros for breaking it up

-better stuff might get better prices while lesser stuff can sell as lots

-less effort than selling individually

-moderate amount of exposure

cons for breaking it up

-loses the effect of selling a complete set

-some lots will sell for more while some will be filled with crap and sell for less

-having to figure out the best combination of how to sell

I have to admit that overall I'm biased because of how I sell things. When I sell, I sell loose, individual mates, start the auction at under $1 (which means listing fees are only $.10), ship internationally and charge the lowest S&H fees I can. This has done a few things. For one, I get tons of repeat buyers (several boardies included, thanks to you all). It also gets a lot of international business that many sellers can't or won't sell to. It also means that most people that buy, buy several things from me and I watch as the same names keep bidding on things (so even if they don't win it has caused the price to go higher). Overall, I've found this effective and do lean towards the individual auctions. And, just so you know, it also helps me to not feel so guilty about selling on eBay (when I'm not the one setting the price and I try to be fair about everything else)-it's nice to know people are getting what they want for what they want to pay. I don't know (and don't even know if anyone is even reading this by now), but the different opinions have been helpful.

In general, I am risk averse when selling on eBay, no matter my financial situation at a given time. As such, I don't do the $1 starting bid, no reserve, individual listings. Never really have that I recall. Apart from fees that, as you say, can add up and that make the ones that end at $1-$3 or so not worth the packaging time if sold by themselves, I'm not willing to trust "the market" at a given time.

In general I list prices that are pretty near the lowest I'm willing to sell something at. I usually list auctions as a BIN, and put a "or best offer" option telling eBay to automatically decline anything below, say, 20% below the BIN price. If what I list doesn't sell, I may re-list for slightly less, or just hold onto whatever it is I was trying to sell. In the long run, this ensures that I don't get less than I think something is worth. But, it also means I don't immediately get things sold sometimes.

One factor you may want to consider is the desire by some buyers not to deal with the hassle and uncertainty of auction bidding. There is an incentive for some to pay a bit more than "the market" says something is worth, just to get it without hassling with those things. So, a BIN is an option that allows you to capitalize on this.

Edited by karamazov80

I think that it really depends on each specific minimate. There are some that would be good for you to sell individually, and others in pairs or sets. For instance, I think it would be a good idea to pair Star Sapphire with the Green Lantern since SS is undesireable.

One factor you may want to consider is the desire by some buyers not to deal with the hassle and uncertainty of auction bidding. There is an incentive for some to pay a bit more than "the market" says something is worth, just to get it without hassling with those things. So, a BIN is an option that allows you to capitalize on this.

Good point. I know I watch as some of my auctions end for less than others that had BIN prices, but I still just can't do the BIN thing. It's just something I can't do most of the time. I don't won't to set the price too high (and it not sell or sell it and feel like I ripped somebody off) or too low (and feel like I could have gotten more). I've resigned myself to doing market value 99% of the time.

For instance, I think it would be a good idea to pair Star Sapphire with the Green Lantern since SS is undesireable.

I guess I look at this and also think that adding SS to GL might make GL sell for less than if they both sold by themselves (which I've had happen before). I know there's no way to predict what people will do, but I think if I grouped things together I'd probably go with the really cool stuff together and the pile of crap together. And that's how I'd list the one auction, 'PILE OF CRAP MINIMATES Nobody Really Wants'.

I guess one thing I don't consider on eBay (that you do, GH) is the idea of "ripping someone off." No one puts a gun to someone's head and says--"pay X amount of dollars on this minimate." Are you worried about folks seeing a BIN, not knowing value, and paying too much? Because the same thing could happen with an auction, though you would admittedly need 2 people thinking that way.

This is completely separate from the "scalping" argument, but if you can allow that some of your Minimates have appreciated in cost while others have depreciated, is it wrong to really try to capitalize on the more valuable 'Mates while more justifiable to allow yourself to take heavy losses on the various lemon Minimates in your collection? I'm not trying to be the devil on your shoulder here, but I'm not sure how you screw anyone over with an eBay auction.

Of course, trying to build a base of repeat customers is another issue, as is getting a quick sale, dealing with fellow board members and (potentially) selling very rare/exclusive figures.

Edited by karamazov80

Well, for one, I want to offer people a chance to buy something the way I'd like to buy it-reasonable shipping at a reasonable price. But also, I think selling on eBay while also dealing with people on a message board is a fine line and it's one I don't want to cross just to make some money. I deal with people here and on a few other boards and don't want to become known as the guy who's buying all the toys to turn a quick profit. I usually don't draw much attention to my auctions or make known who I am to avoid that stigma (it was a little easier when my wife was doing things and I was just supplying the extra stuff that she could list). And to me, by not setting a value to anything I sell, I feel that if anyone wants to accuse me of anything it can't be for selling things at inflated prices or trying to take advantage of anyone. I know no one puts a gun to anyone's head to buy a BIN, but there are people who believe the value of something is more than it is because it's a nice looking auction and there're none other available and that's deceitful on the seller's part (to me). I fell better about myself just letting people decide what it's worth. And, as you said, it does build some loyalty and makes it easier to come here and have a pretty clear conscience when I deal with the people who've just bought something from me on eBay or who I might have bought tuff from in the past. I know that I'm probably unique in this and also that I probably miss a lot of chances to make some better money, but that's how I can sell what I sell without crossing the line of my own personal standards. Crazy, isn't it?

Edited by groundhog7s

I agree that ebay is relatively fair Sam & 'Hog is to be applauded for his principles .

I've just been looking at a loose C3 Robin on ebay which is currently for sale at $39.99 BIN from a well-known ebay seller of Minimates . $39.99 ? Yesterday a NM mini Batmobile sold for $10.50 & included both figures ,Batman & Robin ,the car....the lot.

I have my own feelings about certain sellers which I'll keep to myself because we're all adults here & if someone wants to pay $39.99 for a C3 Robin then that is completely up to them. It doesn't however stop me feeling somewhat nauseous about the fact that some people must be completely & utterly naive enough to pay over $25* for virtually anything loose that was once sold in a Minimate packet.

* I can only think of about a handful of Minimates that I would hesitate to sell for $25, Robin would not be one of them.

edit: Any mention of the word 'kubrick' in any response to my post will be viewed by me as 'Dirty Pool' <_<

Edited by buttheadsmate

* I can only think of about a handful of Minimates that I would hesitate to sell for $25, Robin would not be one of them.

edit: Any mention of the word 'kubrick' in any response to my post will be viewed by me as 'Dirty Pool' <_<

As long as no one is paying this amount for a Cosbaby, you'll hear no complaints from me :)

I've actually modeled my own Minimates auctions after your method, so I'm in support of the individual listings. As someone who also buys a lot through various ebay auctions, I tend to completely ignore large lots.

However in the case of a highly recognizable set (eg...a complete team or hard to find wave) it's more financially beneficial to go that route.

I feel for you on the 91 pictures and listings part. I had 12 to list this weekend. By the time I had decent photos of each and the descriptions built, it was so late in the evening I risked having the auction end when most interested parties would be in bed. A lot of pre-planning would be needed.

RE: Bin

I love BIN! I will give those auctions first glance before dated auctions. I always look at the "newly listed" auctions to see if there are good deals that were just posted.

as for price in selling. I always search auction in the completed section to see what they went for. you can usually get a good idea of what to expect or what people are willing to pay.

I look in the BIN stuff too, but I only look for good deals in the stuff that was recently added so that I can get it before anyone else notices (just being honest).

I also think that by listing for a set amount of time there's a sense of urgency that can cause people to bid more, especially when there's items that don't show up much. When looking at DC/C3 stuff, there's a lot of things that don't get listed very often (at least not by themselves with all accessories) and that will gain a lot of attention from more people. That attention will also spread to other auctions. You don't always get that with a BIN. I guess part of avoiding the BIN with this is that for 5-7 days (I'll probably go with a week) there will be every DC Minimate available to the highest bidder. If I offer BIN, there's a pretty good chance the good stuff will go quickly and the rest will sit for however long and get picked over. I guess that's how I see it for this situation and for my usual listings.

I feel for you on the 91 pictures and listings part. I had 12 to list this weekend. By the time I had decent photos of each and the descriptions built, it was so late in the evening I risked having the auction end when most interested parties would be in bed. A lot of pre-planning would be needed.

I've actually got a pretty good system down to where it doesn't take too much time. I took 25 pictures yesterday and overall it'll be about an hours time from pictures to editing to listing.

Also something to consider when you list is time zones. It might be late for you, but not late for most everyone else.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd necro this thread to say that I've decided to list all of these individually auction-style. The more I thought about it, I really just had to go with what I'm comfortable with. Thanks for all the advice and, if anything, this will be a good experiment to see how they do. So, I now have 88 auctions ready to list tonight. Sadly, though, when I was able to go through these for pictures I realized I've misplaced a few accessories that keeps all of this from being totally complete. But, this should be an interesting way to sell these and I hope it helps a lot of people find some harder to find mates at decent prices.

By generous, you really mean stupid, right? At least that's what I'm thinking.

I'm not taking a jab at you by any means. But with your strategy, it is clear that eBay/Paypal/Satan wins, and the seller loses.