UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Nintendo 3DS

nintendo-3ds-640-1.jpg

The latest handheld from Nintendo has created a hella lot of interest since being shown at E3 last week with power apparantly on par with gamecube/Dreamcast, a huge set of new features (3D screen, Analog slider, ability to save games to internal memory etc..) coupled with a fantastic line up of games both first party and third including:

Legend of Zelda: OoT remake

Starfox 3D

Kid Icarus

Paper Mario

Resident Evil

Street Fighter 4

Metal gear solid

This has the makings of the greatest console ever

for more info check out this FAQ Visit My Website

I will withhold judgment until I can see how well the 3-D works in person, and the kinds of new games this system has. Plus, we'll need to put any innovations this device provides into perspective. Greatest of all-time in what sense? I do like the licenses. Like the DS, it seems that they are really going for the nostalgia factor with re-releases and re-hashes of existing games. Which is not necessarily a bad move, IMO, but it will need more to really distinguish itself.

Personally I don't really care about the 3D. I want it for that setlist of games. Unless it's absolutely incredible, the 3D is probably going to be off quite a bit. If it IS amazing, well, yeah I'll use it a lot. But most likely, for the purpose of versitility in playing style, it'll be off.

This system will still play standard DS games, right? I want it, but I don't want to give up or have to re-purchase my current game library.

Yeah it's backwards compatable. However no GBA slot, kinda like DSi.

I like to look at Nintendo's handhelds as if they were portable versions of the home consoles:

Gameboy Color=NES

Gameboy Advance=SNES

DS=almost N64

3DS=Gamecube

And since the Wii is basically a Gamecube with motion controls, I wouldn't be surprised if they added Wii titles. Gunpei Yokoi's mantra was always to let the developers work with hardware they were already familiar with, instead of figuring out what to do with the newest advances in technology. And I think this will make Nintendo more successful than other companies in producing quality games. Look what the Xbox and PSX have done to the gaming community, where many gamers only care about the graphics.

Well, with backwards compatibility to standard DS games, I would have to consider the 3DS the best console. I have often referred to the DS as the best video game system. Obviously not the prettiest graphics, but in my opinion the most fun games.

Looking forward to the 3DS. :)

I've already shared my thoughts on the E3 thread, but I am on board. It was the best part of E3 and is now #1 on my most wanted list. It cannot come soon enough for me!

neo