Who Deserves an Update?

MINI_MYTE

Dark X-Men box set:

Emma Frost (In black)

Sub-Mariner (In his new black garb)

Mimic

Weapon Omega

:biggrin:

I'd love to have Mimic in his new look, or any Mimic at all for that matter, but his new look especially. I think it's the best he's looked since his original costume. I hated his "shaggy beard" years.

As for the other three... I don't necissarily think any of them are bad choices, but I'd rather have Dark Beast than all three of them. After reading him in Excalibur, Endangered Species, and Dark X-Men, I've grown to enjoy Evil McCoy in recent years. He has all the wit and charm of 616 Beast, without any of the self doubt or occasional depression. He's a fun character to read.

Namor and Emma I could both live without another variant of (especially an Emma in Black, that I'll never use, since I'd prefer her in White anyway. Namor in an X-Men suit I'd like, but I could live without him.) And Weapon Omega hasn't been around long enough for me to care about him. I always like when a new character gets minimated, so he has that going for him, but I'd still rather it was Dark Beast.

So overall, I guess Mimic, Namor, Dark Beast & Weapon Omega are my picks for that set, but since Emma was a key member, I really doubt they'd pass her by for those four. Sadly, I think Mimic is the least Marketable character of the five, and he's the one I want most. lol...

Edited by Gillbob316

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the duck feet go, if I have to give up on the duck feet idea, then I am just going to have to go and request a Dark X-Men box set:

Emma Frost (In black)

Sub-Mariner (In his new black garb)

Mimic

Weapon Omega

:biggrin:

I think i've missed the joke here Dark X-Men & DuckFeet?) - but if this is a real request for a Dark X-Men set, i'd have to echo Gillbob316's request to include Dark Beast. Sub-Mariner's costume in the DXM series was similar enough to the Defenders MiniMate version to not have him repeated.

And to keep this thread slightly on-topic: I think White Queen could use an update. The original has since been surpassed in manufacturing and detailing standards. The AXM series one was pretty average to begin with due to it being a parts 're-use wave'.

Although - if we got her in a Dark X-Men set, i guess she'd be the Black Queen?

Edited by Nessex

If a redone Lady Deathstrike is in the cards, then I personally wouldn't mind seeing her in her updated Japanese-inspired look, paired either with Spiral or in a "Sisterhood of Mutants" boxset:

The Red Queen (

Madelyne Pryor

)

the Mastermind sisters

Spiral

Chimera

Uncanny_X-Men_508.png

And for the love of gravy, Wasp. We need another proper, updated Janet Van Dyne Wasp.

We've requested _ _ _ _ for years, but we don't have him!

Okay, we really haven't requested Kang and only Kang for years... people exagerrate Kangs overall popularity...

[snip]

First off, Kang didn't even enter the picture until after Ultron was made. And the only reason Kang is so prominant NOW, is because all those other requests have steadily been trickled out over the last few years, starting with Beast & Thor and moving on from there. (I can't be the only one who remembers when Thor & Beast were at the top of everyones want lists. [Which one, depended mainly on if you were an X-Men fan or an Avengers fan, primarily.])

So I'll concede that NOW... Kang is at the top of alot of Avengers fans lists... and alot fo greater Marvel Universe in general lists... I personally would rather have Jubilee, but I'm an X-Men fan. (And I think she's at the top of many X-Men lists atm.)

But he hasn't been steadily requested for years... at least not any more than some of those other characters... Deadpool and Gambit were more important holdouts on many people's lists (Mine included) and they were only made less than a year ago.

To be absurdly specific, the Kang demand didn't really reach meme-level insanity until just after Waves 25 and 28 got leaked. It started with Mystery Man and murder of crows... then it got weird.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see a new Carnage ('mates of Shriek, Doppelganger, Carrion, and Demogoblin would also be great), a new Nightcrawler, and a new Wasp. I hated the Wasp that came with the Avengers box set; it wasn't a bad 'mate per se, but it was darn near impossible (actually, in my case, it was impossible) to remove her wings without breaking them.

Edited by MinnesotaIceman

• 3 weeks later...

Been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to bring it up- Which already released Marvel Minimate characters deserve an update? They just now announced a 'new' Deadpool and Cable so I'm just wondering what or who people wish to see remade. Some of my personal pics are: Nightcrawler, Colossus (a good one), Kraven, Elektra, Power Man/ Luke Cage, and Lady Deathstrike.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say comic Mary Jane most deserves a re-visit. Aside from the lackluster movie version where she was a shortpacked variant, Mary Jane has not seen production since July 17, 2003, as an SDCC exclusive.

Hasbro is going mass retail with a comic Mary Jane figure. Certainly DST can hit the LCS circuit with a Mary Jane/Jackal 2-pack. Add in an Aunt May/Mister Negative 2-pack, J Jonah Jameson/Spider-Slayer with Variant Spencer Smythe/Spider-Slayer, and you have a cool Spidey wave.

Edited by Jatta Pake

Just to review some things I've read on this page...

1) A Sisterhood of Mutants Pack: I realize he's no longer employed with them, but he used to be, and I have to assume he was correct when he said this... Matt pretty much flat out told me at one con that 2 girls in a 4 pack was pushing it and anything more than that was right out. And I think that sentiment is quadrupled especially when you consider they're not big name heroes, but a band of 2nd to 3rd string villains. I realize there are always acceptions to every rule, but comic books and action figures are typically a male dominated demographic, and in male dominated demographics, male products sell better. There's a reason every case of Power Rangers comes with 1 pink ranger, 1 yellow ranger, 3 green rangers, 3 blue rangers & 4 red rangers.

2) I saw someone mention a Maximum Carnage set... that would make me want a Seperation Anxiety set, lol... Damned Sega Genesis, it made me love those 5 random symbiotes. If nothing else... forget the other four Life Foundation Symbiotes, As a huge fan of Universal Studios, I would KILL for a Scream minimate since she's the only remaining holdout for a complete set of Spider-Man ride villains. You have no idea how happy it would make me to have a little set of minimates to recreate the ride, and I fear I'll very likely never get Scream.

3) In that last post I believe I saw, a complete Spider-Man wave with 3 civilians and NO Spider-Man figure in it... yeah... that's gonna happen, lol...

Edited by Gillbob316

Just to review some things I've read on this page...

1) A Sisterhood of Mutants Pack: I realize he's no longer employed with them, but he used to be, and I have to assume he was correct when he said this... Matt pretty much flat out told me at one con that 2 girls in a 4 pack was pushing it and anything more than that was right out. And I think that sentiment is quadrupled especially when you consider they're not big name heroes, but a band of 2nd to 3rd string villains. I realize there are always acceptions to every rule, but comic books and action figures are typically a male dominated demographic, and in male dominated demographics, male products sell better. There's a reason every case of Power Rangers comes with 1 pink ranger, 1 yellow ranger, 3 green rangers, 3 blue rangers & 4 red rangers.

Male dominated market or male dominated business? How many women have decision making authority at Diamond Select Toys?

Adult collectors of Minimates are a much more diversity accepting group than Power Ranger preteen boys. The long runs of She-Hulk comics and proliferation of female lead characters across media (Tomb Raider, anyone?) support the premise of a more varied palate of adult collectors. Some toylines ONLY have female characters.

Not bashing you, Gillbob, but the risk averse strategy DST takes in this brand new 21st Century adult collecting hobby. Fine if they don't want a three female boxset to sell at TRU, but what about online collectors who all have credit cards?

You could say toy companies are simply doing to gender what movie studios do to race. Prime example is Racebender.net which started after studios cast the lead heroes of The Last Airbender with white actors. (The universe is strictly Asian-Pacific for purists and fans of the cartoon). Many of the fans are people of color who appreciated the ethnic diversity represented in the cartoon. So who is right? Target the movie towards the majority white male audience or appeal to niche groups? And is it the fault of the white male studio heads for believing only white actors deliver box office results?

3) In that last post I believe I saw, a complete Spider-Man wave with 3 civilians and NO Spider-Man figure in it... yeah... that's gonna happen, lol...

Wave 11 was an X-Men and Spider-Man Wave without Spider-Man or Wolverine. And what about Wave 23? No Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, or Daredevil! C'mon, anything is possible if we dream!

Who wouldn't want Spider-Slayers that come with different accessories to customize them into the various models? It would be too cool!

Edited by Jatta Pake

I'm curious, why do you think Kraven needs an update?

First off, I toatlly agree w/ everyone and had no idea of what kind of can o' worms I was opening... prettymuch everything people said are on my list but as for Kraven I feel he wasn't given his due- the chest piece could've been done better, I always see him w/ the flowing lion's mane behind him, his hairpiece annoyed the hell out of me, and his face just didn't seem to be Kraven. Not to mention the accessories could've been better- a spear, net, and machette/ sword, he rarely used a rife. So that's why I say Kraven. But he's lower on the list compared to several others.

I would consider wave 11 as an X-Men wave that they managed to associate with Spider-Man. We've had a couple X-Men waves without Wolverine.

And wave 23 had a couple Iron Men in it, in the War Machine variety.

You might could toss one or two civilians into a Spider-Man wave, but I don't think you could have them outweigh the costumed characters, and I don't see it moving without one hero, be it Spidey or one of his amazing friends.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for all of those characters, I just don't see them putting all those figures into a single wave.

I know I'm likely to be hit with all sorts of things for saying this, but after seeing the screen shots of 2099 in Shattered Dimension, I REALLY want to see him updated (preferbly with a slip-on mask)! Easily the second best Spidey costume ever (number one is, of course, Scarlet :D).

I know I'm likely to be hit with all sorts of things for saying this, but after seeing the screen shots of 2099 in Shattered Dimension, I REALLY want to see him updated (preferbly with a slip-on mask)! Easily the second best Spidey costume ever (number one is, of course, Scarlet :D).

I'd love to see updates of both of those, as well as Ben Reilly's other Spider-Man costume.

Wave 11 was an X-Men and Spider-Man Wave without Spider-Man or Wolverine. And what about Wave 23? No Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, or Daredevil! C'mon, anything is possible if we dream!

Who wouldn't want Spider-Slayers that come with different accessories to customize them into the various models? It would be too cool!

Alright... I don't have much to say about the first half of your post beyond saying what I already said, and this: To claim that comic books and action figures are not a male dominated demographic is a laughable claim. I'm not saying there aren't female heroes out there, I'm not saying there aren't female fans out there, and I'm not saying I don't want female figures made. Just look at my wishlist in my sig. My top 2 wants are female. I am saying Rogue will NEVER be on the same level of popularity as Wolverine. Ever. Lara Croft will never be Spider-Man. Witchblade will never be Batman. And nitpick my Power Ranger example all you want, but it's still a good basic example. I'm an adult. I collect Minimates AND Power Rangers (among many other toys). At the end of the day, they're all still toys. To berate Power Rangers as a childrens toy, but take a stance that collecting minimates makes you a mature sophisticated collector is... dumb. I'll grant you inimates are a little more adult based and Power Rangers a little more child based, but at the end of the day, it's all still collecting toys. :P And trust me, Power Rangers, Minimates, GI Joe, Transformers. "Adult" action figures, "Childrens" action figures. Marvel Select OR Super Hero Squad. It makes NO difference, you can apply the same basic idea to the case ratios of ANY action figure line. Male figures will vastly outnumber female figures... 90% of the time. This isn't some sexist claim I'm making to imply that women can't be good heroes. They can. Believe me, I love them. I've mained female characters in almost every video game I've ever played since I was 10. They're fun and they kick ass. But the cold hard truth is, comics books, and by extension action figure and toy collecting, is primarily a men's hobby, and generally speaking, men like manly toys. 12 years old or 40 years old, it makes no difference. There are ALWAYS acceptions, as with everything in life, but toy manufactuers don't play to the minority, they play to the majority because they want to make money. I can only think of one all female set diamond ever did, the indymates 4-pack, and it sold horribly. As I said, Matt pretty much flat out told me, that more often than not they shy away from anything more than 2 females in a boxed set, and that's already pushing it. This isn't a concrete rule, but it's a very good guideline.

I could very easily see them breaking that rule for a "Women of Marvel" set, with 4 of Marvel's biggest female leads ever. I do not see them breaking that rule for a Sisterhood of mutants set. EVER. As I said, a boxed set of 2nd to 3rd string female villains has everything going wrong for it, from a sales perspective.

In regard to everything you posted about racial issues, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole, as it's really not what I'm here to talk about at all. I'm not saying I agree with your thoughts, not saying I disagree, only that I don't wanna talk about it.

Moving on to the second part...

An X-Men wave without Wolverine is a much more flyable concept than a Spider-Man wave without Spider-Man. X-Men is an ensemble cast. Wolverine is certainly a popular sales booster, no question, but there are enough good X-Men to stand without him. Spider-Man, on the other hand, is a solo hero. The same rules don't apply. Even in comic books, an X-Men book can stand on its own without Wolverine. A Spider-Man book would really have a hard time standing without Spider-Man. (I'm sure there have been examples, but still not a good long term idea, I'd think.) Furthermore, wave 11 wasn't so much an X-Men and Spider-Man wave as it was an X-Men wave that took the opportunity to sneak in Firestar as a small nod to the Amazing Friends. There's really nothing beyond that 1 figure to suggest anything Spider-Manly about the wave.

As for Wave 23, yeah, all that stuff you said only served to make it a notorius peg warmer that's still on the shelves at my comic book store. Alot of other peoples too from what I hear. And to say it didn't include an Iron Man, while technically true, still feels like bending the truth a bit if you ask me. Especially when you consider Stark wasn't the variant.

Edited by Gillbob316

These guys deserve updates:

Rhino

Colossus

Juggernaut

Any other updates would be great but I'd really prefer new characters. I just think these three deserve updates because their previous releases, while great for their time, do not do them justice anymore, given all the advancements in Minimates design we have today.

Rhino

Colossus

Juggernaut

Any other updates would be great but I'd really prefer new characters. I just think these three deserve updates because their previous releases, while great for their time, do not do them justice anymore, given all the advancements in Minimates design we have today.

I agree completely with these three and would also add:

- Invisible Woman

- Thing

- She-Hulk

- Bishop

- 616 Nick Fury

- Luke Cage

Rhino

Colossus

Juggernaut

I agree completely with these three and would also add:

- Invisible Woman

- Thing

- She-Hulk

- Bishop

- 616 Nick Fury

- Luke Cage

Agreed 100%.