UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Twisted Two-Face

Well, i was wondering when the day that DC's movie following Crisis on Two Earths to be announced would come, and it looks like today's that day. WB Entertainment has confirmed the next title as being "Batman: Under the Red Hood," based on the 2005 comic story-arc.

Following Warner Home Video's release of "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" on February 23, 2010, the next DC animated has been confirmed as focusing on the Dark Knight with "Batman: Under the Red Hood". Thanks to the LA Times we now have details and our first image for this next feature.

Written by Judd Winick and based on his 2005 Batman comics story line, it's Batman versus another vigilante, Red Hood, who doesn't mind cleaning up Gotham by leaving dead bodies in his wake. Animated guru Bruce Timm exec produces this pretty violent look into crime on the streets, and it's directed by "Superman Doomsday" co-director Brandon Vietti, with a cavalcade of stars as voice talent. It all starts with Bruce Greenwood ("Star Trek") as Batman, then continues with "Supernatural" star Jensen Ackles as Red Hood, Neil Patrick Harris ("How I Met Your Mother") as Nightwing, John DiMaggio ("Futurama") as the Joker and Jason Isaacs (the Harry Potter films) as Ra's Al Ghul.

2zit3q8.jpg

Bruce Timm?? Gritty, violent look at crime on the streets?? Batman?? Again, BRUCE TIMM?! :lol: That's enough for this fanboy to be sold.

And Neil Patrick Harris as Nightwing is priceless!! I'm a big NPH fan, loved him on Brave and the Bold, and cannot wait for him to take on Nightwing. :)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

You do know Timm's been an executive producer on most of these Animated movies. Just because he's advising on it, doesn't mean ths is going to be the return of BTAS. He's kind of been studiously avoiding doing anything that could be called a sequel to his original 12 year run. Shame that.

You do know Timm's been an executive producer on most of these Animated movies. Just because he's advising on it, doesn't mean ths is going to be the return of BTAS. He's kind of been studiously avoiding doing anything that could be called a sequel to his original 12 year run. Shame that.

Yup, but the style in this one is the most reminiscent of his work. That's why i'm so excited. ;)

Conroy as Batman and Hamill as Joker would have sold this for me, but I'll still see it. I'm mostly interested in seeing NPH as Nightwing and Jason Issacs as Ra's. That's two awesome casting jobs right there!

• 2 weeks later...

First, I LOVE the DC Animated movies so I'm looking forward to this. The last Batman one they did, the Anime one, can't remember the name, I didn't care for as much. It was good, and was nice as an artistic presentation of our hero, but it just didn't feel like The Batman in somuch as something like Phantasim or Return of the Joker or even JLA. So this will be good. I love they are making Nightwing a key player and not just a guest and of course, with the history of Jason Todd it should play interesting on screen. I honestly can't believe that Timm didn't get Conroy in the Cowl again, that should almost ALWAYS be a requirement. Even still, I am really looking forward to this and what we may still see in the future. If they continue to turn the best arcs into movies I may just stop buying comics, lol! neo

As on now minimadman, there isn't a date listed. I would probably assume we'd see it around summer. Last year we saw an early release (Wonder Woman in March), Summer release (Green Lantern in July) and then a late release (Public Enemies in September). So, if I was a betting man I'd say June/July, but no later than September/October. neo

>sigh<

What I want from them, they to this point seem unwilling to give: a Batman: Beyond era Justice League story. A real one, Not a left over story will a different art style and cast, or the classic cast out of ADCU continuity. I want the a straight up B:B sequel story, with the whole cast. But they are making a point of not retreading old ground completely. Ah well.

>sigh<

• 2 months later...

Because this is the newest thread I can find and don't feel like clogging the board with more fan rage than necessary.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/04/which_..._we_be_seei.php

http://www.comicvine.com/news/dc-animated-...anceled/141015/

GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT and the WONDER WOMAN movie. The latter’s performance was so underwhelming, in fact, that DC Animated has sworn off doing any superheroine features for the foreseeable future. They were actually planning to do an adaptation of BATGIRL: YEAR ONE, but that project’s been canceled, now. The DVDs proved to be successful eventually, matching the sales of NEW FRONTIER, but they took so long to reach those levels that WB’s corporate people don’t believe that sequels are warranted.

W.T.F?

What, New Frontier sold better than GL? HOW?! NF was boring and passe. Green Lantern was everything I wanted in a super hero movie! How did Public Enemies do? seriously, I'm flabbergasted. Compare the sales to the JLU box set. Those were pretty lack luster as well if I recall. Going to cancel Batman Beyond complete set too? Everything can't be TDK people. Sit down, shut up, and give me my DCAU movies! It's not like DC can POSSIBLY be losing money on them.

I've edited this like 4 times now. I'm so mad I could spit. I have to go do something.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

New Frontier had Batman, Superman, Flash, and scores of others, Green Lantern only had Green Lanters. NF provided an opportunity of fans of character X to get their fix, plus fans of Justice League or the comic on which the story was based. I probably enjoyed the Green Lantern toon more myself, but it doesn't surprise me in the least that it did less well than New Frontier. Given that (the surprisingly good) Public Enemies had Bats and Supes, I figure it would have sold very well, also.

Regarding Wonder Woman, I thought it was probably the worst of the DC animated films. Don't get me wrong--it was good. Significantly better than any of that garbage Marvel has been pumping out, but not as good as the other stuff DC has been doing. So, if they want to go with another story based on, say, a team (i.e. JUDAS CONTRACT!), then I won't complain. It isn't like they are swearing off the"films" altogether, they just don't want to focus on women or do sequels, right? No big deal, IMO.

BTW, Crisis on Two Worlds rocked like a Magikist. Folks should see it if they haven't.

Yeah, I loved them. Wonder Woman was my favorite movie that they've done, followed closely by Public Enemies and Green Lantern. I just thought those were wonderfully great. It is fine that you didn't like them though. :)

And, again, I disagree. It seems to me that they are indeed swearing off DCAU movies. WB shot down every project they had in the works, pre-production or just conception. It seems like the only thing they're willing to consider if the Batman Beyond box set, and the fact that they're only considering that scares me.

I wonder why Wonder Woman did so poorly. I can't think of anything that would have made it better. Maybe these need more advertising?

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Well like I said, I didn't dislike them. I just didn't like WW as much as the others, and I can see how GL wasn't as popular as a Justice League cartoon. And I don't think Wonder Woman is a big draw to comic fans generally. A massive part of the success of comic characters is based, IMO, on boys and men who were once boys playing out the fantasy in their minds of actually being Green Lantern or Batman or whomever. I think lots of geeks are sad, lonely people who feel that they have been unfairly dealt a bum hand but are smart and potentially capable of doing good things despite, and in part because of this--hence the success of Batman. Cynical? Perhaps :)

Wonder Woman has a nice comic story I guess, but it isn't brilliant. Unless you are into Greek myth, get off on female cartoon characters, or are a girl experiencing the same private fantasy that boys have (which isn't all that likely, I would bet), I don't think you are going to prefer her to some male character in most cases. Some cases? Sure, but not most.

Edited by karamazov80