UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buying 3D Glasses

neolego

Ok, I haven't seen 1 3D movie at the theater every. But my brother is on me about seeing Avatar this weekend in Imax 3D. So, I was thinking about buying my own 3D glasses. Not thinking they would cost a lot, I'd like to have my own pair rather than reused ones or paper throw away ones.

Any advice on where to get some and which kind to get?

neo

Ok, I haven't seen 1 3D movie at the theater every. But my brother is on me about seeing Avatar this weekend in Imax 3D. So, I was thinking about buying my own 3D glasses. Not thinking they would cost a lot, I'd like to have my own pair rather than reused ones or paper throw away ones.

Any advice on where to get some and which kind to get?

neo

Well If they reuse them then you're going to have to just have to live with it, if not then you don't get nasty paper ones but rather nice "disposable" plastic ones which are pretty comfortable and nice, they feel like a cheap pair of sunglasses.

I think you are over worrying about this, just go and enjoy the movie!

T.

I can't speak for the Imax 3D but in a traditional movie theatre there are 2 kinds of 3D and each uses a different kind of glasses.

1. Dolby Digital 3D. The glasses that Dolby uses are not disposable and are a little on the expensive side ($35 a pair and that's the price that they charge the theatres I have no idea what they go for on the open market) the legs on them do not bend and the lenses have to be cleaned with special materials. Oh and because of the cost involved they are collected outside the theatre when you leave meaning that someone else will have always worn them already.

2. RealD. the RealD glasses come individually packaged and look like this

post-955-1264019223_thumb.jpg

so they kind of look like old Raybans but unlike the Dolby they are disposable and most theatres will encourage you to recycle them but are not sticklers about it and don't care if you take them home. here is a neat aspect of them notice in the first picture that you can see right through them but if you only look through one lens like in the second one the other lens appears to be opaque.

post-955-1264019511_thumb.jpg

post-955-1264019568_thumb.jpg

Here is an article from the LA Times discussing the different kinds of 3D cinema.

I have seen and operated both and Dolby and Reald are pretty much the same so if you are concerned with the cleanliness of the glasses I would say go RealD and you will be able to keep the same pair over and over again. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I can recommend this pair of glasses which will transform most mundane movies into something far more entertaining & memorable........

post-638-1264020792_thumb.jpg

......if emptied you will notice that you can see straight through them....... fill them up again & that movie will seem like your favourite movie of all time. ;)

Do this enough times & you won't be able to see anything :P

It's been a while since you did something like this, BHM. Glad you're back! :D

____

Edit: Oh, erm, sorry. I wouldn't worry about the glasses. When I watched the movie they had the ones Minimadman described and they are very comfortable. Even if you - like me - have to wear real glasses beneath them!

Edited by Bob Harris