UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is there a future?

But won't it all be worth it when we have Lex Luthors battle suit in our hands?

Because then we can hold the world to ransom and demand more minimates production lines, even absurd lines that nobody else wants like Thundercats and Dilbert.

Or you meant the Luthor minimate in our hands?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because then we can hold the world to ransom and demand more minimates production lines, even absurd lines that nobody else wants like Thundercats and Dilbert.

Or you meant the Luthor minimate in our hands?

BOTH! But really, some of the point Drgnrbrn brought up scare the living daylights out of me...

Actually, no.

I was never really a fan of DC comics, though I will be collecting the minimates, much as I did C3. It was always hard for me to root for a guy with every power known to man, or a rich guy who could buy his own super hero status. I know you have to suspend some disbelief when it comes to comics, or anything else in the entertainment world for that matter, but when I first jumped on board, there really wasn't a Superman character in Marvel (Sentry is still rarely used, so I'm still good), and Daredevil was never really wealthy, so it meant more to me when he went out without powers and gave everything for a cause.

It's going to take a great deal to make thus tortuous year up to me. 2007 is going to be a make or break year for minimates as a whole.

I completely agree with you here. I haven't always been a fan of DC for the same exact reasons. In the end of the day, Spider-Man is still peter parker, not Kal-El. BUT, minimate's a minimate I'll buy these little buggers regardless!!!!!! I'm addicted, I went to the wrong AA ;)

If these figures fail, and I mean all of the licenses lumped, it won't be because they weren't cool. It will be because the company that brought them to life, just as quickly killed them off.

If these figures fail, and I mean all of the licenses lumped, it won't be because they weren't cool. It will be because the company that brought them to life, just as quickly killed them off.

Agreed. How many customs have they spawned? How many contests? How many of us members have bought them for parts, coolness factor, or just to support the line? We won't be the death of minimates, but the powers that be might.

http://artasylum.com/forum/index.php?topic...msg3875#msg3875

Adam Speaks over at the AA Forums....

hey all, figured i'd quickly chime in here about minimates and let u know we do listen and understand how you feel about wanting more and new minimates, believe me, we want the same. i guess patience is all we can continue ask of you at this point. for better or for worse, minimates simply cannot live on the collector alone. so we have to do everything we can to get them out to as many people as we can to continue to build the fanbase so that we can fund more deals and design and sculpt new figures. when we're able do things like 1) creating the xmen movie 2) get streetfighter into TRU and 3) bring in Lionsgate to use them as a premium for their dvd it's essentially our way of "marketing" minimates by any means necessary to potential new customers. Of course we know you guys already have the darktide figures, streetfighter and the lionsgate one's (of note: we even tried to get them to do a large size antman in 3" but to no avail) but these are the little things we must do a small company to push our brand and make some noise out there on the crowded shelves. and listen, even the DC deal, which is incredibly exciting for us, is a very tough deal for both us and DCD to make work financially. without the ability to sell the product into the mass the amortizing we have to do based on lower volume is a major issue. and when the retail costs to you guys are higher, we hope you'll understand and continue support the line. we're doing what we gotta do to keep this thing going strong, we know how much you guys have been a part of that. if we don't say it enuf over here, THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!! we appreciate your passion for the brand, and we're sorry to keep you waiting for new stuff. we're gonna make you proud in the upcoming months for sure!! and while i'm ranting, please be sure we thank our friends at Diamond Select too, they have been instrumental in helping us build this thing. most sincerely, adam

Hmmm sounds like he's worried too!

T.

Personally, I found the thought of a 3" Ant Man interesting. One of the smallest characters in the largest scale? Perhaps he meant Giant Man, or whatever he was called in the movie.

The message in general was a little relief, though I did pick up on that same glimmer of worry in Adam's words that Tim mentioned. The mention of the Ant Man showed me that someone behind the scenes is trying to get something new or different though. I can understand that we can't always get new things, and sometimes liscence can get in the way, I can even understand that companies don't like to mention things not set in stone nor do they like to talk about failures, but messages like this every now and again would be nice for us consumers who support the lines. "Yes, we're still working. Yes, we're trying to bring you something new. Stay tuned for good news down the line." From what I can tell, AA just doesn't seem like that kind of company, so when they do shoot out those messages, its both good and bad. Good because, hey, its news. Bad because a company that doesn't talk suddenly asking for our patience isn't usually a beacon of hope.

Either way, I'm a bit more intrigued by what the future holds.

Hope uncomming exciting months doesn't include cereal-mates. :P

I'm sure the Church of Minimateology may have something different to say about that. :P

Yes... yes it does. Minimateology is very excited of the news of the forthcoming prophets and what more..."organized-religions" call their messiah. This is very good news for us over here.

What does this mean for the Donna Fan club? Can you hold more than one relgion close to your heart?

T.

What does this mean for the Donna Fan club? Can you hold more than one relgion close to your heart?

T.

Well, its normal for a person to harbor many beliefs. Still, a person will find themselves conflicted when a conflict between their multiple gods occurs. Suppose Donna denounces Minimates? What then?

Yes... yes it does. Minimateology is very excited of the news of the forthcoming prophets and what more..."organized-religions" call their messiah. This is very good news for us over here.

T.

Well technically she gave birth to The Tony the Tiger figure so that kind of makes her like the Virgin Mary.... remember I said "like" the virgin mary.

How long until Tom Cruise joins?

He will never join, he has complex about the minimates being taller than him :huh:

T.

No WAY! I wrote him a letter and signed it L. Ron Hubbard.... Hey, c'mon. How am I gonna fund all of the Exclusives that will be brought forth from the Church of Minimateology?! and not to mention the pure gold Tony the Tiger minimate which we will all worship? And of course at his side, an all gold-Donna-Minimate.....

-Cloneme

Church of Minimateology

I've read this thread with interest: it seems like your pain has been our gain. :(

The peeps who collect AA's 7" Star Trek line are (mostly) happy campers these days (just don't mention hard to get exclusives :angry: ). It does seem to me that AA has pretty much turned most of their attention to producing great lines of Trek figures, and with many more to come, but I do feel your pain.

Sometimes I think that AA is just too damned small to handle it's big ambitions, and that leaves some collectors high and dry.

Excuse me if I'm coming off as sounding ignorant and there's some hidden secret of toymaking I don't know about, but I would have thought that minimates were much easier and cheaper to produce than an action figure? I would have thought they could have churned them out pretty easily in a format that lends itself to huge horizons for different figures that don't incoporate reuses.

That's the bit I don't get.

It's balanced out with things like detailed paint apps at the scale of Minimates is supposedly more complex/expensive than for larger figures.

IMO the need AA seems to have for other licenses indicates they're probably hitting the backroom roadblocks with Marvel and DST with delays on the Marvel mates and the total re-ordering of the BSG mates.

AA isn't the only worried about the Mates at this point gang. The last time AA had such a looonnnng delay was the Trek License before DST took over the license. I'm also getting worry pangs like I did when Palisade when south and were keeping up the PR campaign that they were just switching warehouses. Hopefully this isn't the case with AA, while their not the best at promoting themselves, they do still make some mighty fine toys. I just have to wonder if their spreading themselves too thin with all the different licenses or possible focusing too much on one of the other licenses? OK, someone pass me the penance plate.

I know there was mention in Toyfare that Hasbro will be taking over the Marvel license at the end of 2006. In the article it had stopped production of all Marvel toys while they checked to see what could still be produced. Fortunately they said Minimates would not be affected (effected?).

I hate to be a wet blanket (unless it has some spiritual meaning in the church of minimateology), but what Adam posted is more of the same.

Hang in there gang, great surprises are just around the corner! I promise...

Although I greatly appreciate his presence, I am not impressed.