UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Public Enemies

Trekker 42

I saw Public Enemies today. And I have a full-flegded review. But for those who don't want to read the particulars, here's a cursory review: It was a damn good movie with damn good acting, damn good action, damn good writing, and a damn good soundtrack.

Here's the full review. Rating from me 4/5. But before I write it, does anyone want to see it, has anyone seen it, and did you like it?

"John Dillinger. I rob banks."

And indeed he does in this fast paced drama about the most notorious bank robber to hit in the Great Crime Wave. It is easily one of the most accurate films I have ever seen. But is it good? Usually accuracy=boring. But this film is depicting what may have been one of the most exciting eras of peacetime in American History. It was not a great film, but it was very, very good.

This film does not compromise. It tells the story how it is. There are no heroes in Public Enemies and the closest thing to a villain is Baby Face Nelson as he has no redeeming qualities. Thank God he's a short lived (pun intended) character. All of the characters have some sort of quailty which makes them hated. John Dillinger's is his line of work, and his cold heart. Purvis has good intentions and a good aim but the methods (such as extreme torture) are very questionable. Melvin Purvis is not a likable man. Marion Coillitard's character is easily the most sympathetic.

This movie is very good for showing the line between script and acting. Some people seem to think that it's the writers who create the character, not the actor. But here the opposite is very true. The script gave us the facts. What was said, who said it, who killed whom, ect. But the acting is where Public Enemies's strength lies. Depp and Bale manage to be as cold as ice with their merciless characters. Crudup is quite manipulating as the somewhat fanatical Hoover who will do anything to keep his department alive. There is nothing but good acting in Public Enemies.

And the gunfights and car chases? Well it's not lacking there either. This movie has some great gunfights and a good car chase which ends in a gunfight. The realism is undeniable and the movie does not compromise with the violence. The R rating is for "Gangster Violence and some language" And they do mean that. The language is nigh upon nonexistant, with one use of the F word (and this character had a very good reason to use it) but the violence is almost on par with the ultraviolent Watchmen released earlier this year. This is not for kids.

So Public Enemies? See it or not? This is a nigh-unparalleled yes. This movie is close to perfect with unbelievably good acting, excellent effects, great acuracy and the best soundtrack I've heard in years. Go see Public Enemies. It's hard to regret. The only reason it's not a five-star film is because it did run a bit long. Knocks it down one peg. Hard to beat that.

Dang, I wish I had "reviewing skills". :D

I kinda wanted to see this movie, but that's a pretty convincing review to not wait for the DVD release....

Thanks for that compliment.

I plan on doing reviews on the side of my future career (youth ministry)

God, i reaaaally want to see this soon; trying to coax my Dad into it because we both really like gritty "1920s-style" action movies. And by that i mean mobsters. And guns. And women. Women are the best part. Yay for the female sex!!!

No, it looks incredible, and i cannot wait to get in my local theatre for it. Definitely not something you wait until it hits HBO for.

Oh... for a minute I thought you were going to talk about the upcoming WB animated movie, reteaming some of the original ADCU voices to tell the opening arc of the Batman/Superman book.

But still a nice review.

Oh... for a minute I thought you were going to talk about the upcoming WB animated movie, reteaming some of the original ADCU voices to tell the opening arc of the Batman/Superman book.

But still a nice review.

Thank God, i thought i was the only one!! XD

No kiddin, i actually thought this was first about that, and thwn i realized "wait...that doesns't come out for a long ti- OHH the Johnny Depp/Chris Bale one!!" Glad to know i'm not alone here... :lol: