UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

question about stealth iron man variant....

velvet

i was wondering what the deal is with that first iron man "stealth" variant minimate? is it honestly one of the "rare" 'mates or something? 'cuz it seems like people are asking CRAZY prices on ebay for the damn thing. (one dude has his up for $50, for cryin' out loud!)

so... as far as minimate variants go, is this one of the more sought after ones? i'm honestly not very fond of that 'mate myself... i think it looks a bit tacky and cartoonish somehow. but, anyway, i picked one up for only $20 at a comicbook store about a month ago. was that like some really, really good deal.... or are the current ebay sellers price-gouging even more than usual lately???

Edited by velvet

Yeah, Stealth Ironman is one of the more "sought after" variants. But personally, when I think of stealth, I think of black or clear not bright colors like the fig....

exactly! that first "stealth" iron man is kind of a bright blue. and the eyes and chest-light are REALLY freakin' day-glow. sort of odd. like i said, the figure looks pretty tacky and dated to me--- especially after that new classic iron man 'mate that just came out. now THAT minimate is kick-ass. it looks so much better than the first yellow and gold iron man 'mate that i put the old version in storage.

so people routinely ask crazy prices for the first stealth 'mate on ebay, though? even so, surely that $50 price-tag is the exception instead of the rule... right?

As a general rule of thumb, don't go by "Buy It Now" prices to gauge the value of something on eBay. Instead, look at completed listings. A loose Stealth Iron Man would, I would guess, sell from anywhere from $20-40, probably averaging around $25-30. Here is a recent boxed version, that sold for less than $40:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-MINIMATES-IRON-...93%3A1|294%3A50

It is hard to come by nowadays, and is a variant of a popular character, so it goes for a hefty price. Personally, I like that one more than the movie Stealth IM, and like the original Iron Man the most of all subsequent Iron Man releases.

I've see it go for more in the past, but the 2 that are currently on ebay, one for 50 and another for 60, have been sitting for quite some time. I think the recent influx of so many IM mates over this last year is making people less inclined to spend big money on this particular mate, the economy doesn't help either. But 20 is a bargain if you ask me, I don't have that mate, but if I saw him for that price, I would snatch it up quick.

BS

Hey Velvet Welcome to the boards,

What you have to consider is that the minimate you are talking about is from way back in wave 6. Back when minimates weren't so detailed.

The stealth IM has always been a popular mate and is known for having a high price tag, like the wave 2 black suit spidey. For $20 you got a deal IMO, even though these always seem to be on ebay these days ( a symptom of the high value reputation they have gained ) they still go for around $30-40, sometimes higher sometimes lower dependi ngon the cycles of the moon etc.

I actually really like the Stealth IM minimate and yes the armor is described in the comic as black, the blue color represents the way that it was printed in the comics as blue because of issues with black ink ( I'm sure BHM will chip in on this one). Once a few collectables latched onto the blue color then it became the norm and everyone who makes a stealth IM be it minimate or highend statue use metallic blue.

T.

As a general rule of thumb, don't go by "Buy It Now" prices to gauge the value of something on eBay. Instead, look at completed listings. A loose Stealth Iron Man would, I would guess, sell from anywhere from $20-40, probably averaging around $25-30. Here is a recent boxed version, that sold for less than $40:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-MINIMATES-IRON-...93%3A1|294%3A50

It is hard to come by nowadays, and is a variant of a popular character, so it goes for a hefty price. Personally, I like that one more than the movie Stealth IM, and like the original Iron Man the most of all subsequent Iron Man releases.

seriously??? i mean, i do kinda like the fact that the yellow and gold colors on the first regular iron man 'mate look more like the traditional comicbook version, true enough. but look at the helmet--- the original one isn't even shaped right--- it comes down in a square shape instead of the classic shellhead "widow's peak". also, the way you can actually see the eyes in the new version i thought was a nice touch. when you factor in the extra sculpted pieces on the new version of iron man (the arm and leg band thingies, AND even the neck band/ring) i think the new version looks much better over-all.

i guess my biggest gripe with the new iron man is that his head looks a little too large...

Hey Velvet Welcome to the boards,

What you have to consider is that the minimate you are talking about is from way back in wave 6. Back when minimates weren't so detailed.

The stealth IM has always been a popular mate and is known for having a high price tag, like the wave 2 black suit spidey. For $20 you got a deal IMO, even though these always seem to be on ebay these days ( a symptom of the high value reputation they have gained ) they still go for around $30-40, sometimes higher sometimes lower dependi ngon the cycles of the moon etc.

I actually really like the Stealth IM minimate and yes the armor is described in the comic as black, the blue color represents the way that it was printed in the comics as blue because of issues with black ink ( I'm sure BHM will chip in on this one). Once a few collectables latched onto the blue color then it became the norm and everyone who makes a stealth IM be it minimate or highend statue use metallic blue.

T.

good point. you are right, of course--- it IS one of the earlier 'mates.... and some of the early ones do tend to look a bit more "dated" in comparison to some of the newly tooled 'mates. still, i have a special fondness for some of those really early minimates (the powerman/iron fist 2-pack is still one of my all-time faves, in fact).

you are dead-on about the color, too. they were trying to shoot for that same "flat" color scheme of the comics on BOTH versions of those first two iron man 'mates.

Edited by velvet

The face is the one thing holding the newest Classic Iron Man back, IMO. Personally, I prefer my Minimates simple, and don't think extra sculpted pieces or detail are necessarily good things.

karamazov: yeah, it's true that sometimes too much detail messes up the overall simplicity of the 'mate's basic structure/design.... like the new "fingers" on the thanos glove, for instance. i definitely like the old version of thanos' glove.

still, that new iron man is pretty damn sweet.... the more i study him up close, the more i like that particular 'mate.

hey, a quick question: have you tried slipping those new band thingies from the new iron man onto the arms, neck, and legs of the first version of iron man yet? and if so, how did it look???

scorpian: that old super-skrull is another older 'mate that i'm still very fond of.... it still looks SHARP as hell, imho.

Edited by velvet

hey, i guess i need to go post this over on the buy/sell/trade thread, but i would be more than happy to trade my stealth iron man (he's loose--- i take my 'mates outta the box and display 'em as soon as i get them, but he's in perfect condition) for that "bolt-face" iron man variant that just came out in series 25.... and the fellows who said they don't have that stealth iron man in this thread could have first crack at him if they are interested.

also, some of the discussions we've had on THIS topic about the older /mates have given me an idea for a new thread/topic. namely, "older" minimates versus newer, re-tooled/updated ones... pros and cons, likes and dislikes. yeah! i think it would be interesting to hear from the rest of ya on which older 'mates you guys still hold near and dear to your hearts.... and which ones look almost painful to you NOW.

(he says, rushing off to start the afore-mentioned new topic... AND to post on the buy/sell/trade thread :P )

oh, yeah: and thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. i really appreciated the info and feedback, guys.

Edited by velvet

When I was still new to the Multiverse, I remember one of the earlier discussions I took part in was about the blue-versus-black on Stealth Iron Man. TBT had a point in that in the early days of comic printing blue ink often had to substitute for black... Another factor that came into play I think involved the use of a specific type of blue on the Marvel Legends Stealth armor figure, which subsequently became the "definitive" depiction of the armor mainstream-wise.

EDIT: Found the thread. Very enlightening reading. :)

When I was still new to the Multiverse, I remember one of the earlier discussions I took part in was about the blue-versus-black on Stealth Iron Man. TBT had a point in that in the early days of comic printing blue ink often had to substitute for black... Another factor that came into play I think involved the use of a specific type of blue on the Marvel Legends Stealth armor figure, which subsequently became the "definitive" depiction of the armor mainstream-wise.

EDIT: Found the thread. Very enlightening reading. :)

right on, right on! very cool, indeed.

Actually the closest thing to a "cannon" Stealth Iron Man came in the early 90's in the Iron Man cartoon line. It's the only time the armor has been made that it wasn't simply a dark blue repaint of the classic armor. The shoulders, boots, and guantlets are overly exagerated, though the basic shape is correct, (okay so the shoulders are really really exagrated) And you'll have to forget the entire back piece of the armor w/ the wing. Ironically, even though that Iron Man line featured Drill and Samurai armor, there was no classic armor made. (though stealth to classic was an easy repaint, I mean, if I could do it...)

My main complaint with the mm Stealth is the bright yellow unibeam.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't snatch it up if I could get it for a "reasonable" price. And reasonable shipping... people seem to like to screw you on shipping. But that's a rant for another time.

Actually the closest thing to a "cannon" Stealth Iron Man came in the early 90's in the Iron Man cartoon line. It's the only time the armor has been made that it wasn't simply a dark blue repaint of the classic armor. The shoulders, boots, and guantlets are overly exagerated, though the basic shape is correct, (okay so the shoulders are really really exagrated) And you'll have to forget the entire back piece of the armor w/ the wing. Ironically, even though that Iron Man line featured Drill and Samurai armor, there was no classic armor made. (though stealth to classic was an easy repaint, I mean, if I could do it...)

My main complaint with the mm Stealth is the bright yellow unibeam.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't snatch it up if I could get it for a "reasonable" price. And reasonable shipping... people seem to like to screw you on shipping. But that's a rant for another time.

re: inflated shipping charges: hell, yeah--- tell me about it!

FYI, there have been previous discussions on this, and the long and short of it is, yes, shipping is high on some eBay items, sometimes unreasonably high, but inflated shipping is in part a response to inflated eBay/Paypal fees. Those of you who sell on eBay know of what I speak. Sometimes, it hardly seems worth the effort to sell given the crazy listing, final value, and paypal fees involved (that are constantly going up, btw), and like anything, sellers tend to pass the cost on to the customer. I add an extra dollar or two to my shipping costs just to cover a (small) part of my fees, and feel justified in doing so.

Edited by karamazov80

FYI, there have been previous discussions on this, and the long and short of it is, yes, shipping is high on some eBay items, sometimes unreasonably high, but inflated shipping is in part a response to inflated eBay/Paypal fees. Those of you who sell on eBay know of what I speak. Sometimes, it hardly seems worth the effort to sell given the crazy listing, final value, and paypal fees involved (that are constantly going up, btw), and like anything, sellers tend to pass the cost on to the customer. I add an extra dollar or two to my shipping costs just to cover a (small) part of my fees, and feel justified in doing so.

actually, i was thinking more about sites like afx. they are charging me like $13-$14 bucks for shipping on just three little 4-packs (all shipped together, and all going to a US zip code). since shipping charges are based on total weight of the package, i think that's too much--- hell, these minimates are very light-weight.

re: ebay: you are right about selling smaller stuff on ebay. it's practically not worth the expense and trouble after all the charges and red tape. i gave up my seller account LONG ago... too much hassle.

Edited by velvet

hey, i guess i need to go post this over on the buy/sell/trade thread, but i would be more than happy to trade my stealth iron man (he's loose--- i take my 'mates outta the box and display 'em as soon as i get them, but he's in perfect condition) for that "bolt-face" iron man variant that just came out in series 25.... and the fellows who said they don't have that stealth iron man in this thread could have first crack at him if they are interested.

wow, that's incredibly cool of you, velvet.

I feel the same way though, it's not about it being a rarity per se, it's about how much you want it, and if someone can help you out getting what you REALLY want, than why not return the favor?

that is what's awesome about this forum, it's just cool people helping out cool people

wow, that's incredibly cool of you, velvet.

I feel the same way though, it's not about it being a rarity per se, it's about how much you want it, and if someone can help you out getting what you REALLY want, than why not return the favor?

that is what's awesome about this forum, it's just cool people helping out cool people

this IS a cool forum. everyone here seems so laid back and friendly... i wish i had joined up much sooner!