UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1st Pic of Mickey Rourke as Whiplash in Iron Man 2 (Spoiler Warning)

Chaapaaiguy

Whiplash: Cool or Not?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is Whiplash looking good or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'll reserve judgement for later

This poll is closed to new votes

Iron Man 2's Whiplash

What do you think, guys?

I'm quietly optimistic on this, The first movie was one of the highlights of 2008 for me so here's hoping...

My guess for the possible storyline is that Justin Hammer gets hold of some Irontech (Maybe remains of Iron Monger armour?), Has Vanko build a suit of armour (With added whip action) that then gets used to kill either hundreds of people or one special Tony-Specific (Girlfriend/Relative?) person whose death Stark considers himself responsible for,

Cue spiral into alcoholic dependency that requires Rhodey to become Iron Man, Rhodey gets his ass handed to him by Vanko causing Tony to snap out of his alcoholism, builds a new War Machine armor to take down Whiplash and then takes up IM identity again and passes on War Machine armour to Rhodey to take Hammer down once and for all...

That works for me. Hopefully the Whiplash armor has more to it than Mickey Rourke in bondage gear though Lol!

In the end though, The minimates are gonna be freakin' awesome!!

Hard to say. That looks like a prison uniform tied around Vanko's waist, so I' agree with Luke's Mk I guess. The comics purist in me wonders why Vanko's character is being shoehorned into what essentially sounds like Scarletti's origin. I mean, I understand why no Dynamo, you'd end up with another armor on armor fight. I have a lot of faith in this creative team, but I'm scratching my head on this one.

Oh and they've pretty much stated no "drunk Tony" this movie. No more than last movie anyway. When you take a mintue to notice, Tony drinks like a Ewing most of the movie. (It's my kids' current favortie movie and we wind up watching it about once every two weeks at this point, so I've taken to trying to note little things with each viewing) They want to establish him more solidly as a hero before sending him into a downward spiral. I do expect an "Armro Wars lite" type story. The whole "Demon in the Bottle" story, according to Downey, is what they are planning as a third movie.

Have we heard who's playing Hammer? And will they be keeping the "evil Heff" outfit?

Have we heard who's playing Hammer? And will they be keeping the "evil Heff" outfit?

AFAIK They've got Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer for this one, I'm pretty stoked to see the chemistry between Stark/RDJ and Hammer/SR, They're both great actors so i'm hoping they play up the Evil Tony aspect to Justin's character because i think they have similar acting styles...

Still waiting for Scarlett as black widow pics :woot:

Hear, Hear!

Any film is enhanced by the nubile charms of Ms. Johannson lol!

Please say Favreau is sticking to the winning skintight leather catsuit/impractical yet alluring high-heels combe we know and love from the comics...Please Jon, Please!! :biggrin:

I thought that was the point of casting her? :thumbsup:

Still going to be sad if there isn't at least one scene with Rockwell in Hammer's "evil Hef" smoking jacket and ascot combo.

Saw "the Wrestler" today. Rourke is great in it, and I was always a fan of his work in Rumble Fish, I just don't know how he will work as a super villain in a super hero movie. Similarly, I am on record as saying I think Johannson is a terrible casting decision. Good looking? Yes. Someone I can take seriously as a Russian spy? Eh. . .I don't know about that. I can't imagine taking her seriously in such a role, but I would be very happy to see both her and Favreau surprise me here in a good way. Same thing with Rourke.

Edited by karamazov80

Saw "the Wrestler" today. Rourke is great in it, and I was always a fan of his work in Rumble Fish, I just don't know how he will work as a super villain in a super hero movie. Similarly, I am on record as saying I think Johannson is a terrible casting decision. Good looking? Yes. Someone I can take seriously as a Russian spy? Eh. . .I don't know about that. I can't imagine taking her seriously in such a role, but I would be very happy to see both her and Favreau surprise me here in a good way. Same thing with Rourke.

I feel the same way, I have more reservations about Johannson than Rourke or Rockwell. Mickey is an amazing actor with the ability to own this character much in the same way that Ledger did Joker. Well, perhaps that's a bit of an unfair comparison, as I'm sure there were far more expectations of the Joker...but I still believe the acting-credibility stands.

This does indeed appear to be a proto-Whiplash who I've no doubt will be dressed-to-kill by the climactic end-scenes. A bit hard to judge the character's aesthetics on this picture alone, but I have complete faith that the design will be a nice balance of the original and new.

Edited by cdubya

I'm sure Johannson can vamp it up in the leather catsuit and fake Russian accent in the finest Bond tradition, which is likely all that this action movie is really going to require. If I actually thought they had time to give her any real depth of character in an already crowded field, I'd be more worried about her acting ability. But they've got to introduce her, Rourke, and Rockwell in this one with enough screen time so they aren't complete cyphers, and give the returning characters all something to do. And in theory, advance Tony's character some more. Given all that, she has to look good and speak clearly. Anything past that will be a pleasant surprise.

All that said, I'm expecting a fun movie here, as good if not better than the first. But I don't expect anything deeper than a cookie sheet from any character but Stark. Favreau clearly knows and loves the material, why else cast himself as Happy Hogan.

This does indeed appear to be a proto-Whiplash who I've no doubt will be dressed-to-kill by the climactic end-scenes. A bit hard to judge the character's aesthetics on this picture alone, but I have complete faith that the design will be a nice balance of the original and new.

Ah but which vesion of the original? The classic topknot wearing Whiplash/Blacklash costume, or the bondage outfit Whiplash wore in his last few appearances? As ridiculous as the original would look in real life, I'm really, really hoping it's not the bondage outfit.

Another shot of Rourke was released:

post-1827-1244777428_thumb.jpg

:P

You jackass...you got me! I just had to delete about a three paragraph post replying in shock and disbelief before I realized that it was actually the gimp from Pulp Fiction! :blush:

I had actually accepted this and was more concerned about how unevenly matched a leather-suited gimp would be against an armored hero with repulsor-beams, missles, and such. I must admit that I'm quite relieved now, though I feel a bit of a tool. Can you imagine if this really were to be the main villain in a blockbuster film high on the list for children to see?!? :lol:

Damn, now I really want to see that; it would rock Hollywood to it's core!

Can you imagine if this really were to be the main villain in a blockbuster film high on the list for children to see?!? :lol:

coughWatchmencough :lol:

I am now officially in Cautiously Optimistic Mode for Iron Man 2. Seeing as there are sort of three new characters in this one (Justin Hammer, Whiplash, Black Widow?), I now worry that it might encounter problems similar to Spider-Man 3.

Before you guys start accusing me of comparing apples to oranges, consider this: Spider-Man 3 had pacing problems thanks to the three villains it had to shoehorn into one single movie along with that "emo Peter" subplot. This despite the fact that it was preceded by the (arguably) more widely-liked Spider-Man 2, which in contrast had one well-developed villain (two if you count Harry Osborne) and a well-focused "identity crisis" story arc for Peter Parker. Iron Man 2 tentatively has Justin Hammer and Whiplash as villains, while the presence/alignment of whoeverScarletJohannsenisreallyplaying is somewhat uncertain. And that's not even mentioning the speculation that

Rhodes becomes Iron Man/War Machine

in this movie.

In short, while I don't doubt that Jon Favreau is a terrific man for the Iron Man franchise, I can't help but wonder if maybe he might be putting one too many eggs in his basket with all this new character-juggling?

I think that they should stick to the high-profile characters/villains. I have only read a few Iron Man comics and I have no knowledge of Justin Hammer or Whiplash. For me, Iron Man movies are less interesting for this reason. Give me Mandarin or Crimson Dynamo. Or an Avengers villain like Kang.

I think that they should stick to the high-profile characters/villains. I have only read a few Iron Man comics and I have no knowledge of Justin Hammer or Whiplash. For me, Iron Man movies are less interesting for this reason. Give me Mandarin or Crimson Dynamo. Or an Avengers villain like Kang.

Justin Hammer was big in the books from the 80's through the late 90's He's one of Tony's less scrupulous business rivals, and well known for outfitting criminals with high tech gear under the table. At one point Hammer was considered the #1 source of quality supervillian equipment. Of course it helped that Hammer had the Spymaster sneak into Stark International and copy as many Stark/Iron Man blueprints as he could, which Hammer incorperated into the super-crook tech he was selling. There's actually a pretty long list of B-grade Marvel villians that Hammer supplied gear to. Stark discovered the theft several years after the fact, which sparked his "Armor Wars" campaign. Of course, nothing could ever be officially tied to Hammer. In a series of unlikely (read borderline silly) events, Justin is current trapped in suspended animation in a olympic swimming pool sized chunk of ice in high earth orbit. (even from normall good writers, the stories can't all be winners)

Whiplash, as Mark Scarlotti, was a weapons designer for the Maggia. He invents his power-whips and tries to take out Iron Man, who had been a thorn in the side of several recent underworld operations. As Whiplash, he only did really well in he and Iron Man's first fight, which probably had more to do with Tony wondering WTF than the power of his whips. Doesn't take long for the Maggia to cut ties with Whiplash, and after more beatings from the hero community, Mark decides to upgrade his equipment and turns to Justin Hammer for help. Re-armed with new trick whips and a new costume, Blacklash doesn't really fair that much better. But Hammer proves a reliable employer, and keeps him busy as a designer and enforcer. Eventually Scarlotti broke ties with Hammer, (or tried to) went back to calling hmself Whiplash, and started sharing the Gimp's wardrobe. He actually gave Tony a few good fights, adding some gadgets in the costume to protect him against repulsors, and using a hover platform for mobility (which were stuning examples of a b-grade villian actually learning from his past defeats), but ultimately he was killed in battle by Iron Man's "sentient armor".

Now in the movie, Scarlotti is being replaced with Anton Vanko, the Russian scientist who designed and built the original Crimson Dynamo. Apparently they don't want to have another armor vs armor climax, so Vanko will be Whiplash now.

Mandarin is coming. The whole

Ten Rings

thing from the first movie is an obvious refrence.

I actually think the

Ten Rings reference specifically from the first movie

might have been more of just a red herring or continuity nod Favreau put in for the fans. Not that I'm completely discounting the possibility of Mandarin showing up though... maybe they'll just do away with the whole organization thing and modify his schtick a little the way you just described how Hammer and Whiplash (BTW, thanks for the condensed character histories :thumbsup:) got tweaked for IM2.

My theory is Mandarin is on tap for the theoretical (at least until they officially annouce it's on) third movie. It will be after the Avengers movie, so in a way it'd almost be Iron Man 4. That's the one Downey and Favreau have talked about doing the drunk Tony story in. My guess is part of what will break Tony is a thurough butt-whipping from the Mandarin. And what will help snap him back is Rhodey as Iron Man getting almost killed in his place. This is just my theory, and the only basis for it are thousands of hours of time wasted reading comics and watching action movies.

I hope the final costume is some variant of the cape/topknot one from the comics. Not the black leather look. I know they try to ground the Ironman stuff some sort of reality so it prob wont be a classic spandex style of look for the villain or how would it withstand a repulser blast etc in a fight. I expect it to be armoured in some way but I hope not so it loses what its supposed to be in reference.

Ohh and you got me with the gimp picture I'm glad someone else replayed before me to point it out otherwise I would have ranted. :)

• 4 weeks later...