UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The MMMV fitness thread

just as a note, as i didn't mention it before, I am 24

karamazov80: i figured now that i have the time, let me outline the drill

do 50 jumps, 30 second break, 75 jumps, 30 second break, add 25 jumps after each break, up to 200 jumps, then reduced by 25 after each 30 second break until you reach 50 jumps again

at first i just did them, but know in an effort to keep the interest going, i record how long each set takes and try to beat my time each week, let me know how that feel. first time i did it i had cramps in the lower legs for 2 days

Here's my recommendation-start studying food and how it affects you (stuff like this).

A few months ago I participated in a trial program at my work of the Engine 2 diet. It's basically eating vegan for a month. I lost 20 lbs over the 4 weeks and learned so much about food. It becomes harder to eat what you know is going to harm you.

Edited by groundhog7s

do 50 jumps, 30 second break, 75 jumps, 30 second break, add 25 jumps after each break, up to 200 jumps, then reduced by 25 after each 30 second break until you reach 50 jumps again

Man, I don't know about that. You are talking about over 1,000 jumps! You would have to be in damn good shape to do all that, I would think. I did more like 250 the other day total, and that was enough for me. I'm sure it would take me a good while to be able to do a complete exercise as you lay out here. In fact, that has to be a complete workout period, but next time I jump rope I'll see how far I can go doing that (I'm guessing I'll get to the 3rd or 4th set and be done

As for Groundhog's post, philosophically, I would like to stop eating meat. I'm always impressed when people can do that. Do you eat soy to get your protein? Regarding your link, I think that is a bit deceptive. Yes, it is hard to burn off all of those calories, but everything you eat has calories in it. If you put "soy burger" on there, it would probably have to say "50 minutes of dancing," but health gurus don't put it up there, because it isn't grossly unhealthy. Yeah, 4 or 5 donuts are bad, but I doubt that 1 is going to have a huge effect on your fat level.

They also don't note how many calories are burned through the day just by breathing, walking, etc., which will offset the vast majority of the calories that most people eat.

Edited by karamazov80

You would have to be in damn good shape to do all that, I would think. I did more like 250 the other day total, and that was enough for me. I'm sure it would take me a good while to be able to do a complete exercise as you lay out here. In fact, that has to be a complete workout period, but next time I jump rope I'll see how far I can go doing that (I'm guessing I'll get to the 3rd or 4th set and be done

I'm am definitely not in damn good shape, but you'll be surprised how easy it is to get through it. You are drained after it, and yes it pretty much is an entire workout, but I moves pretty fast and well worth it. Just give it a try, you'll see.

Do you eat soy to get your protein?

Be weary of soy. It leads to an increase of female hormones in men. I saw that in a fitness magazine, a little is good, but drink soy milk and eating soy equivalents of meat products can have an adverse affect on your body.

Do you eat soy to get your protein?

I ate no soy products the month I did it. The diet consisted of no meat, dairy or processed foods. You can find a lot of protein in vegetable based products if you're creative. I ate a lot of wheat tortillas with natural peanut butter and jellies. And a lot of beans and rice. I was the healthiest I had felt for a long time, but being a father of three made it hard to eat what I needed and keep them fed. But, the founder of it first tried it with a bunch of fire fighters and he says it works for them. If you can do it, it does work.

I'm am definitely not in damn good shape, but you'll be surprised how easy it is to get through it. You are drained after it, and yes it pretty much is an entire workout, but I moves pretty fast and well worth it. Just give it a try, you'll see.

I may try it tomorrow morning, but I don't know. . .I jump kind of high with the jump rope. More than, say, you see with boxers who train when they do those short little hops. I don't think I have the coordination to do that just yet.

Just got back from the gym. Feel great! Though it is kind of depressing that all these young, fit-looking kids go running around, are clearly not in the cardiovascular shape I am in, but as I say, they look terrific!

And groundhog, I really wish I could do that, but dropping meat just is not an option. It tastes too dang good! I love eating dead animals!

Edited by karamazov80

We're toy geeks. We're not meant to look good! Didn't you guys see the threads regarding what we really look like? :lol:

I'm almost 34, 5'9" tall (or short- I'm with you, TM2D) and weigh about 185lbs. I've been as heavy as 211lbs. and as light as 174lbs. since I've been an adult. I've jogged, lifted weights, and dieted hardcore, but I tend to hover at my current weight when I just eat normally/sensibly and exercise here and there (2-3 times a week for about 15 minutes).

I commend all of your dedication. I try to live well, but bingeing on toys, food, alcohol and other "bad" things is just too much damn fun. I'm a hedonist through and through. IF IT FEELS GOOD, DO IT! Life is short. Enjoy it, guys. If you get run over by a car tomorrow, is your waist size gonna matter? Hell no!

Edited by handsomedevil

I commend all of your dedication. I try to live well, but bingeing on toys, food, alcohol and other "bad" things is just too much damn fun. I'm a hedonist through and through. IF IT FEELS GOOD, DO IT! Life is short. Enjoy it, guys. If you get run over by a car tomorrow, is your waist size gonna matter? Hell no!

Dammit handsomedevil, I've thought and acted in this way for the last 15 years of my life, and am trying to think differently! Your flawless logic will not change my behavior, though. I am focused on the task at hand. As ultimately meaningless as it may be.

Edited by karamazov80

And groundhog, I really wish I could do that, but dropping meat just is not an option. It tastes too dang good! I love eating dead animals!

There's a reason why I only did it for a month. That's why God made animals-so i could eat them.

Thanks, God.

Outline of me:

Age- 31

Height - 6'2"

Weight - Previous worst: 340

I was always a heavy guy, at one point, I was wearing size 48-50 pants....... about 2 years ago my doctor told me that I was diabetic and that I needed to get into better shape.

So I was put on this:

2000 calorie, 50 grams of fat a day diet

30 minutes of exercise a day

take my medication (for sugar and high blood pressure)

After 6 months of this and to this day, I lost 40 pounds and am down to size 44 pants and feel much better than I ever have. Still trying to slim down a bit more but much better than before.

Just keep up with your diet and your exercise folks and just do your best with it! :)

Thanks, God.
Agreed. I no we say no religion here, but if the delicious taste of a cute, furry animal doesn't prove that someone out there loves us, I don't know what could.

And jcastick, glad to hear of your success!

Edited by karamazov80

i made a mistake about 4 1/2 months...... a bought the 3 disc hulk hogan dvd box set which was followed buy an ultimate warrior dvd..... which then made me think i need to put on some muscle i'm 6'5 and have always been pretty "big built" so i bought a york barbell set and started to lift weights after about 2 months i realized that i would need to get bigger/heavier weight's which would then, ultimately go on to me joining a gym.......... after a quick bit of math i figured buying more weights to use at home + gym fees and transportation to said gym would run me a few hundred pound in around 3-4 months so i went and bought a multigym for the spare bedroom for a lot less money and have not looked back its awesome

Yeah, I'll just add that to the list of reasons I don't watch professional wrestling.

I enjoy exercising. I try to hit up the gym a few times a week, and my dogs insist on a one-mile walk every day. I'm 28 years old, 6'2" and right now around 205 lbs. I've lost about 20 pounds in the past year. I found that eating a healthy, well-balanced breakfast did most of the work as far as weight loss/ losing inches around the stomach. I used to be terrible about eating breakfast. Now it's yogurt and fruit every morning.

As much as I love taking my girls on a walk everyday, summer is fast approaching. It's not as bad as Karamazov's Louisiana heat, but the summers in Memphis are pretty close. Must start waking up earlier to get the walk in before work.

I had to do a stress-test yesterday. Now I have an awkward, itchy shaved patch in the middle of my chest where they attached the electrodes. Guys, never shave your chest. Not pleasant.

The other major reason we are so bad off is that no one walks anywhere. People will drive to a store, then drive across the parking lot to another store instead of just walking there.

One observation that you guys in Europe probably would be surprised to see: I live in one of the most unhealthy states in the country, because it is one of the poorest, and the people here don't have healthy living habits. An indication of this are these obese people who drive around the Wal-Mart (the major supermarket here) in these little electric carts, not because they can't walk, but because they are too lazy to walk around the store! They walk outside to their SUVs or whatever, drive to the store, walk to the electric carts area, and drive around the store. It is really sad. It's like the future in Wall*E is right around the corner here.

First thing, I can't believe people are not walking. It's not like the area I'm living in is the healthiest there is, but there are always people outside walking or riding their bikes; to jobs, parks, university, schools, shopping malls, cafés. I guess there isn't one single hour you won't find somebody walking around when you go outside. And like I said, Kassel, the city I live in (and the Brothers Grimm lived in as well), is about 200,000 people; it's not that crowded. And it's in the top ten of poorest cities in Germany as well. (Relativly poor that is, since all in all we still have a pretty high social standard in wolrdwide comparison. And it's mostly pretty ugly, since around 90% of the city were completely destroyed during WW2 and it's architecture build up after that... Off topic!)

The other thing are those electric carts you mentioned. Heilige Scheisse! I'd never imagined so,ething like that. I mean, there are a lot - I really mean a lot - clichés about you folks eating junk food and watching TV all day, but I never thought of something like that. This is scary man!

Oh, and I never realized that you're actually living in Louisianna! I always read "Baton Rouge, L(os)A(angeles)", guessing that this is a district or quarter of LA. But sure, you always use those postal symbols of your states, not cities. (And yes, now I know Baton Rouge is it's capitol!)

I just found out about a site called FitDay.com which allows you to input your food intake, weight, exercise, mood, etc., and it will track this information over time for you. It adds up all the calories and fat in your food for you, which can be a bit shocking. I had a bowl of cereal and 2 pieces of toast this morning, and the site tells me that this is 1,300 calories! It also says that, based on my lifestyle (sitting at a desk) I will burn about 3,000 calories in a day without exercise. Pretty disturbing thought.

You can include weight loss goals, as well. Seems neat, and it is free.

Oh, and I never realized that you're actually living in Louisianna! I always read "Baton Rouge, L(os)A(angeles)", guessing that this is a district or quarter of LA. But sure, you always use those postal symbols of your states, not cities. (And yes, now I know Baton Rouge is it's capitol!)

These cross-national differences make filling out Priority customs forms really confusing. I just ignore the fact that there are specific places to list "city," "district," etc.

So back in early 2001 I was eating typical fast food and eating out plenty. When my wife and I cooked we made hamburger helper, pizza, pasta, etc. Three years out of college and I wasn’t playing as much basketball and working out quite as often as in the past. Mind you I had never done cardio, just weight training. I was pretty much 200 lbs whereas in college I was around 175 when lifting weights on a regular basis. I decided enough was enough. I started getting up at 5:30 AM to work out. I did 40 min of cardio, then weight trained. I know that is not the norm but it worked for me. I did this 6 days a week. My wife and I also made a lifestyle change. We started cooking healthy low fat meals to eat throughout the week. We started bringing a healthy lunch to work (turkey sandwich, fruit, yogurt), and had healthy snacks mid morning and afternoon. I lost 40 lbs over a couple months. Mostly fat but I lost a lot of muscle too. I dropped over 4 inches off my waist. Now I’ve since cut back to 5 days of cardio a week and due to a torn labrum in my shoulder and spinal neck fusion on my c4/c5 I really only use minimal weights for therapy exercises. To this day I am still at 160…I would like to have more muscle tone but at this point I am happy to maintain keeping the weight off for 8 years.

I'm 39 and have a lung ailment that make it difficult for me to catch my breath when I exert myself. I don't really exercise, but I am a fairly active person, walking my dog daily, and playing sports, hiking, canoeing, etc.

Ever since we got a Wii, I have been doing a lot more "playing". I enjoy the challenges a few of the Wii fitness games offer and its fun. I highly recommend giving it a try.

To Webhead's post, that sounds great. I'm trying to make a lifestyle change myself. Over the last 2 weeks things have been going great. I find myself making good eating decisions more and more often, and I feel motivated to workout every day. I hope that I stay with it.

Regarding Shanester's post, I'm sorry to hear about that. I don't have issues on that level, but I do have serious sinus issues which have always made it a pain for me to work out. I can typically only breathe out of one nostril at a time, and sometimes neither. I had surgery a few years ago and sprays at various times to no avail. On top of this, my nose constantly runs when I do cardio, which is disgusting. I've learned to just deal with this over the years, but I'm always envious of guys who don't have this problem.

On top of this I have a genetic problem. My dad weighs about 130 pounds. He has 0 body fat, but can't run a mile. He smokes, but this goes back to when he was younger. He says that when he was in the army, he would throw up constantly during their jogs. As such, I think it is much harder for me to jog than a lot of other people. I would jog for months, and some of my buddies would start up and reach my level of conditioning in a week. Makes it harder to see long-term results, but this is outweighed by the fact that I feel better generally.

I think the key is changing your eating habits and maintaing that long term. That's why the fad diets don't last. Cause you go back to eating how you did before and put all the weight back on.