UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

karamazov80

Jimmy Fallon has apparently already taken over Conan's old show (just saw it on, flipping through). He is not funny at all, nor are his writers.

How did this talent-less tool get a TV show?

Edited by karamazov80

He might be better than Carson Daly, but not by much. I don't see him lasting very long.

By the way, my question above was not a rhetorical one. I am really curious as to how he got this show. But then, he was in some big, Hollywood movies at one point, so I guess someone out there disagrees with me and thinks he is talented and funny.

I wouldn't say he's good, but comparing him to Carson Daly is just mean! :lol:

He got the hosting gig because Late Night is produced by Lorne Michaels (sp?), who also produces SNL where Fallon was actually kinda funny hosting the news with Tina Fey.

I feel like Conan got progressively less funny since way back when Andy Richter left, it's like he was getting bored, but the last few weeks were hilarious with all the "best of" clips, and Conan trashing his set with a sledgehammer to give pieces to audience members. The last Masturbating Bear segment was great too...

Generally Craig Ferguson's a lot better though.

I haven't watched the show yet, but the commercials make me not want to watch it (funny how they're supposed to do the opposite).

And as for Conan getting less funny, I think he's funnier after a few years than Letterman after a few years. I don't think David Letterman is really that funny anymore and I'm annoyed by the fact that the audience laughs as if everything he says is most hillarious thing they've ever heard. He could look at the camera and say 'Pretzels!' and people would laugh hysterically. And Paul is just weird.

I agree with Groundhog. I actually still think Conan is the best late night guy (which may be a part of why Daly and Fallon seems so worthless, since Conan is my point of reference there), and Letterman has his moments, but on the whole, he doesn't do it for me anymore. I think people watch him more out of habit than anything else. Conan has the best spontaneous wit of all of them, and seems to know how to best judge the talent of his writers. I also enjoy his stock actors that do the stupid skits every episode--like the guy that does Preparation H Raymond and the guy who dresses up like Jesus or the racist/chauvinist singing ghost. Those guys are hilarious, and I hope he keeps them on his new show.

Edited by karamazov80

I agree Conan's sketch stuff remained funny, if less consistently so, I was put off more by his interviewing I guess. If it was a woman he'd always do that "nerd nervously talking to a hot chick" schtick, and guys he'd just suck up to in a similarly "schticky" way, it just seemed increasingly tired/stupid to me. Back in the day with Richter, he was very spontaneous and funny with the guests. The best stuff with Conan is always when he goes and films on location, then he's just spot on.

The first half of Letterman basically isn't worth watching, as you say (and Paul is totally creepy!), but his interaction with the guests is still great. (Especially since your other option at that timeslot is Leno, who couldn't make an interview with Jesus interesting.)

But Fallon's not bothering me, since I mostly switched to Ferguson a while back...

• 2 months later...

Well, thought it was an appropriate time to bump this. Saw Leno's last show--I think it was cool to think of his legacy as being the kids who were born because of relationships forged on his show. I don't think Leno is very talented, but he was capable and kept an audience for almost 20 years, which has to count for something.

Regarding Fallon, I have watched him a little since starting this thread, and I think he is much better now. I didn't think he had it in him, and he still isn't great, but he is getting better.

Can't wait for Conan on Monday! With Andy!!

Thanks for the bump karamazov! I just remembered Leno's last Tonight Show episode is getting beamed via satellite here this afternoon, hope I don't miss it...

Yeah, I found Fallon somewhat difficult to watch at first too, but then again it's only his first year. I'm sincerely hoping he manages to find his rhythm after he's settled in, and that he actually gets good. Although I'm still completely gobsmacked he got The Roots as a house band... :jawdrop:

God, I can't wait 'til Conan starts on the Tonight Show. (My mom can't stand him though :()

The Roots are an incredibly talented band, no doubt. Weird to me that they are his "house" band. NBC must be throwing a pretty hefty chunk of change their way. Typically, Late Night shows have studio musicians who jump at the chance for a steady gig, but presumably these guys can make a goodly amount of money touring, etc.

What strikes me most as far as The Roots are concerned is the extremely distracting possibility that somewhere along the line they start this "sane hiphop group performing in-house for some lily-ass white boy" running gag with Fallon... or is that happening already? :blink:

Nah, I'm all for host-band (and by extension host-TV announcer) rapport, so hopefully Fallon and the Roots will hit it off great. I loved most of Conan's gags involving the Max Weinberg Seven, and the whole Jay-and-Kevin-acting-like-a-married-couple schtick has "saved" many a crashing-and-burning monologue... but yes, Paul Schaffer is weird. :ermm:

My guess is The Roots have families and kids and stuff now, and just jumped at the chance for a regular paying gig that doesn't require travelling away from home... I doubt they're getting heaps and heaps of cash, but five nights a week with no travel/production costs must add up.

I think some of Fallon's skits/games are hilarious (especially the ones that involve the band), but he's a pretty crap interviewer -- every time a guest says something remotely funny he goes "yeah, yeah!" and repeats it back. It's like watching a hyper parrot interview someone. Also he laughs at his own bits way too often, to the point that he can barely make it through some jokes... he used to laugh a lot on SNL too.

Was surprised Leno devoted so much time to Conan on his last show, pretty classy. Conan seemed kinda wound up though... I guess it's got to be crazy stressful, but hopefully he'll relax a bit by Monday. The look on that older woman's face during the focus group was awesome!

I think some of Fallon's skits/games are hilarious (especially the ones that involve the band), but he's a pretty crap interviewer -- every time a guest says something remotely funny he goes "yeah, yeah!" and repeats it back. It's like watching a hyper parrot interview someone. Also he laughs at his own bits way too often, to the point that he can barely make it through some jokes... he used to laugh a lot on SNL too.

Hopefully those are one of the things Fallon will improve on once he's settled in... Conan and Jay had 16 and 17 years respectively to build up their respective routines and not surprisingly a lot has changed since their hosting debuts. True, Fallon's an SNL alum, but hosting a long-running late night talk show is a whole 'nother ballgame entirely, and I imagine there must be some small set of format-specific habits Fallon might need to break out of by then. And hopefully this "green" period of his doesn't last too long... seriously, some of his skits really do have fun potential.

Was surprised Leno devoted so much time to Conan on his last show, pretty classy. Conan seemed kinda wound up though... I guess it's got to be crazy stressful, but hopefully he'll relax a bit by Monday. The look on that older woman's face during the focus group was awesome!

Man, almost hard to believe Conan's been off the air for about 3 months now. It was so awesome seeing him on TV again, Monday cannot come soon enough.

BTW, I haven't heard any word yet on whether Conan and Jay are keeping their old house bands once they move onto their new shows. To my understanding Conan has retained much of his old New York crew, right?

That's what Conan said in the Leno interview. I hope so.

And Fallon and the big guy on SNL used to constantly laugh at themselves and others. The audience used to eat it up, but I always thought it was pretty unprofessional. A comedian should be able to keep a straight face the vast majority of the time.

• 1 month later...