UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek Moviemates probably aren't happening...

Well, i would have posted this in the wave five thread, but i think it seems a little more important now that wave five hype is over.

On the latest Ask DST blog, Star Trek was tackled. As always, being a more popular line, there were lots of questions. But one caught my eye as i skimmed. Someone had asked about DST producing products for the new movie do to come out in the summer (??), and Chuck simply said that the new Star Trek Movie License belonged to Playmates Toys.

I am really not sure what to think; sure, SOME of the ST minis were great, but with all of the recent BSG and other dying lines' speculation, this could have brought them back in the spotlight. On the other hand, ST hasn't been doing well, and there is no telling how many fans it will generate, how well the other toys do, and who DST could have ever used. It's a like or hate scenario, and i'm on the fence. How about you??

Good God, i feel like a messenger boy now...

Man, I was hoping DST could put Star Trek back on the map with New Movie minimates. And did you really not know about the Star Trek reboot movie? Wow... What cave have you been living in for the last year or two? The new movie looks amazing.

And did you really not know about the Star Trek reboot movie? Wow... What cave have you been living in for the last year or two? The new movie looks amazing.

*Open to debate, of course*

Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes) as Spock looks like an inspired choice, but I'm still not sure if Chris Pine can really pull off the youth and swagger of James T. Kirk.

And did you really not know about the Star Trek reboot movie? Wow... What cave have you been living in for the last year or two? The new movie looks amazing.

*Open to debate, of course*

Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes) as Spock looks like an inspired choice, but I'm still not sure if Chris Pine can really pull off the youth and swagger of James T. Kirk.

I'm interested to see Simon Pegg as Scotty...

I was not that shocked to hear that they wouldn't pursue Trek Movie Mates. They have already done all the core classic 60's characters, and since the new costumes look fairly similar to the originals, they would have been basically repeating themselves.

As we have seen time and again with AA/DST, doing merchandise for a big summer film is a dicey proposition. The film may be huge, or it may flop, and then they would be stuck with large quantities of unwanted toys, probably arriving months after the film anyway. If it were up to me, I would not have pursued New Movie Trek Mates.

Since the demise of BSG, many have assumed the worst for Trek Minimates, but I think this may be premature. BSG's moment is now, but Trek, a four-decade-old property, can probably weather out this economic downturn. What AA/DST need to do is to put out a new wave of essential, fan favorite characters, most likely from Next Generation era: Worf, Geordi, Data, Q, Riker, maybe even a Quark and a Janeway for good measure. That would give Star Trek fans a reason to get back into Minimates. Then the following wave could polish off the TNG crew, and flesh out the Voyager crew. Trek has room to grow.

DST has said on a couple occasions that they don't have the movie license and wouldn't be doing any product for it. I don't know that that will necessarily impact the Trek line (more than any other factor). I would guess they would use the Trek interest generated by the movie to keep some heat under the general license.

Man, I was hoping DST could put Star Trek back on the map with New Movie minimates. And did you really not know about the Star Trek reboot movie? Wow... What cave have you been living in for the last year or two? The new movie looks amazing.

Umm...where did you get that i didn't know about the movie?? I knew about that in like, July i think...

What i am unsure about is if these would put ST back on the map, or if they'd become the next wave three. And wave three sucked. A lot. Though i really want Spock's Brain. Minimate and real thing. B)

Umm...where did you get that i didn't know about the movie?? I knew about that in like, July i think...

What i am unsure about is if these would put ST back on the map, or if they'd become the next wave three. And wave three sucked. A lot. Though i really want Spock's Brain. Minimate and real thing. B)

The question marks beside "do to come out in the summer." It made the movie look like a surprise for you.

The question marks beside "do to come out in the summer." It made the movie look like a surprise for you.

Oh! I wasn't sure if it was summer, early fall, or late spring. :P

Oh! I wasn't sure if it was summer, early fall, or late spring. :P

May 9th. Late Spring, early Summer both. So it's technically a Summer movie as the Summer Movie Season beins in May and ends around mid-september.