29 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Take Batman's Place?

• Nightwing (Dick Grayson)
    • Robin (Tim Drake)
    • Jason Todd
    • Hush
    • Catwoman
    • Damien

As much as I don't want to see Bruce go, I must admit that sounds interesting.

Trekker, I said "nice" cause it was funny, that's all.

It took like a month but SOMEBODY (you :thumbsup: ) knew of a story where they killed Spidey and brought him back.

• 3 months later...
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but R.I.P is over. Who read it and what are your thoughts?? neo

Didn't read it.. GM has some great writing talent but frankly his handling of the bat mythos earlier scared me enough to not want to read it.

Can you summarise story? ( in spoilers for those who still want to read)

Is he dead or just given up the Bat etc?

T.

Yeah, Batman R.I.P. does mean Rest in Peace, as in the end of Bruce Wayne........or supposed.

I'll give you short, non-headache inducing version. Batman lost his memory. Becomes a gay Purple and Yellow Batman led by Bat-Mite. Finally finds the Black Glove, who are basically rich gamblers betting on Batman's death. The Joker is there......for no apparent reason (although he was cool). We find that Bruce's true love Jezabel is really a bad guy and set him up. He is then dressed in his nicest Blue Batman Suit and Burried alive. Then there is a lot of inner reflection and finally rising again from the grave. He then starts the Batman Buttwhuppin. He follows the Black Glove out to a Helicopter. The Black Glove shoots him in the chest (no damage). He then goes on about how he is Bruce's father but Bruce doesn't buy it. So he rambles about some stunt double who fell in love with another man's wife and that wasn't who he was. In fact, I still have no idea who the crap he was. Anyway, Batman, now with cowl removed, dives for the helicopter and climbs up on the front. In anger he smashes the windshield and then "KABOOM" the helicopter blows up in mind sky. Then we see Nightwing standing holding the Cowl.

See, that wasn't confussing......was it. Actually, if you could imagine that times 10 you would know what it's like to read the story. It was horrible and there is NO WAY that I'll believe Batman dead. Seriously, he was on a Helicopter OVER WATER when it exploded. That was the lamest attemt to kill anyone that I've ever seen. No evidence, no body, no utility belt floating, nothing. He's not dead! HELLO!!

The saddest part is, I started this thread with a lot of hope for the book. I was hoping they would follow the trend set by Brubaker in Captain America. Kill off Batman, CLEARLY! Let Dick take up the cowl and move forward for a new age. Cap will not stay dead and neither will Bruce, but for the time being it would have been great to see these old old books get some new life. In stead, we are left with a far fetched ending for a death that probably never happened and more questions that mean nothing to anything. I'm extremely dissapointed and I will not be following the current Batman archs.......unless they do give Dick the cowl! neo

Alright, thought I'd chime in here:

I'm not going to touch on any of them complete randomness of this story (like Bruce becoming a heroine addict) but I will say that Neo, you forgot to mention the "flash forward."

6 months later no one has seen The BAtman and then the Batsignal comes on and he rushes to the rescue. Is it Bruce?

Nope. Not in my opinion. Know why? Grant M. has been quoted that it IS Bruce in Final Crisis (he's writing that also) and that FC takes place in AFTER RIP. He also said Bruce will meet his final fate in FC.

Dead? Maybe. But now you have to read 2 books to get the story. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Batman, now with cowl removed, dives for the helicopter and climbs up on the front. In anger he smashes the windshield and then "KABOOM" the helicopter blows up in mind sky. Then we see Nightwing standing holding the Cowl.

My memory is a little hazy and this is a probably a minor detail, but wasn't the reason he took off his cowl was so that he could get on chopper, smash the windshield, and purposely have the Black Glove's coak get tangled in the blades or was that coincidence?

Also did anyone enjoy read the 'Heart of Hush' tie-in? I actually found that story more enjoyable especially when Selina gets back at Hush...

Edited by Fo Shizzle

• 1 month later...