UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Digital Comic Distribution

neolego

So, let me start by saying I'm very interested in purchasing the Marvel Digital Comic Service from Marvel.com. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that's a member.

However, while thinking, it's sparked my view on comic distribution and I thought it would make a good topic of discussion. I am hugely in favor of digital distribution as a whole. I've mentioned it the video game thread how I think it's a prefect idea to go to a complete digital medium where you download everything that you want similar to Xbox Live Arcade. I am also in favor of Movie Digital Distribution through avenues like Netflicks online, Apple TV, and of course Live Marketplace. That brings me to one of my other loves and that is comics. I've been reading alot more currently (Thanks Secret Invasion!) and have found myself with the same aggravation that I had before. There are getting to be a lot of books and I don't like a lot of clutter. I used to with there was a "Rental" service for books where I could play like a quarter an issues, keep it for a day and then return it. I don't want boxes full of books. Now, I understand that some people do and to each his own.

So, I guess that brings us to the topic at hand. Do you guys support digital distribution? And if so, would you be interested in subscribing to a Marvel or DC service with an annual fee to read any book you want?

Here's the way I look at it:

Pros

-One Flat Rate (read as many books as you want)

-Digital so you can read from anywhere you want, home, work, vacation, etc.

-Less Clutter, no comics to bag and no boxes to throw in the attic

-More Creator friendly, cheaper to make so you can get more independent and indy-type books out

Cons

-One Flat Rate (if you only read one a month, not good)

-Anti-Collector, for those that love to build mountains of books, this wouldn't be good

-The death of the comic store, let's face it, if everything was digital most comics stores couldn't survive without books

So, those are my thoughts, share yours. The only reason I've waited so long for Marvel's service is because it's so far behind. But, I feel if I am a loyal supporter than I can hope they will move in the right direction! neo

I've followed digital comics with great interest. What started my interest was the Marvel DVD collections from Gitcorp. I bought them all and hoped more would be released. Unfortunately, these are no longer being made and the disks are fetching a lot of money on ebay now.

Marvel's digital service was to replace these DVDs, but a lot of fans were not happy with the elimination of the disks and this new service.

I can't speak to this service but I feel the cancellation of the DVDs was a mistake. Companies routinely underestimate the fans desire to "collect" something physical. I understand their desire to maximize profit, but I'm not sure this is a one-size fits all solution.

To address some of your specifics:

Pros

-One Flat Rate (read as many books as you want)

-Digital so you can read from anywhere you want, home, work, vacation, etc.

-Less Clutter, no comics to bag and no boxes to throw in the attic

-More Creator friendly, cheaper to make so you can get more independent and indy-type books out

I don't think you can read whatever you want. I've heard a lot of complaints about the limited selection. Again, I don't have the service so I can only go by what I've heard.

These are definitely more Creator friendly but I don't think Marvel will enjoy a benefit from this. Creators are more likely to turn to Indy publishers who share bigger chunks of the profit.

Cons

-One Flat Rate (if you only read one a month, not good)

-Anti-Collector, for those that love to build mountains of books, this wouldn't be good

-The death of the comic store, let's face it, if everything was digital most comics stores couldn't survive without books

The biggest con, of course, is that a free alternative exists. I won't say anything more on that.

The other big con is DRM. You can't download the books. You can only read these books when you have access to the Internet. I like to read digital comics as my private jet takes me from wine country to TJ. Since my satellite provider charges by the minute, I tend to stay off the Internet during flights.

If you do go with the service, you will have to let us know how it is.

I have actually read some of the samples on Marvel.com and I have a really hard time reading them. I don't know if it was because of the fact that i was reading a sample or what, but the comic didn't allow me to see all of the panels on a page and eventually pissed me off so much thatI swore off of these things forever.

On the other hand, I'm thinking about getting those CD ROM collections of Spider-Man and Iron Man, but I'm holding off for the Hulk or Captain America.

My girlfriend bought me the Spider-Man CD Rom collection a couple of years ago as a present. I was thrilled until I 'rolled' it ..... :down: Ungrateful? Yes I'm afraid I was. Whatever I am now, I used to be a printer for nigh on thirty years & I realise the limitations of printing .....I also know it's power. The digital age is here to stay & thankyou God but.......I still love ,yes love, my Silver Age off-white paper comics. Nuff said.

trekker, why couldn't u see all the panels on the page, that is what couldn't u see?

It wouldn't zoom correctly. Either it would show half of a panel and not show it all or it would be so small I couldn't read it. Either way it's a problem and I couldn't move freely along the page.

if the one you looked at was a free sample, link it to me, so i can check it out

Aha! I see the problem now. The spotty thin comes in a package deal with the Smart Panels viewing option. As long asI avoid that I'm fine. Any other viewing mode works like a dream.

yeah, the smart panels are a pain, imagine, as bad as it is for u to view them, u don't know how much more of a headache they are to get them to come out that good (which isn't really saying much) personally, i'd rather have print than digital anyday, altho finding Captain America 1 in perfect condition to read is a decent benefit, lol