UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates Central down?

Chaapaaiguy

Minimates Central is down as it's hit the monthly bandwidth cap. This is the first time it has happened since I upgraded the bandwidth allowance by 25% a few months ago.

Apologies, it will be up again on the 1st July when you will be able to once again read my latest DC reviews!

Minimates Central is down as it's hit the monthly bandwidth cap. This is the first time it has happened since I upgraded the bandwidth allowance by 25% a few months ago.

Apologies, it will be up again on the 1st July when you will be able to once again read my latest DC reviews!

Cheers for setting that straight, Danny :D

I'm not sure I could face you "sob" LEAVING me again!!!

I wait henceforth until the first...

;)

And I can confirm it's back up.

I guess the fact it's hit the bandwidth cap again after being upgraded means that people still enjoy the site even with the changes - focusing only on the reviews, bringing in different reviewers etc.

I'm nowhere near as fanatical about Minimates as I was (interestingly Transformers Animated is filling that particular hole for me at the moment) but I am pleased that Minimates Central is still a success after its brief hiatus last year.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm reviving a dead thread, but is anyone else having problems getting onto Minimates Central? I've been trying nearly all day to no avail.

Jenny

It's the same problem as Danny mentions in the post above. The site gets so many hits that toward the end of the month it runs out of bandwith. I'd imagine It'll be back up on Friday.

It's the same problem as Danny mentions in the post above. The site gets so many hits that toward the end of the month it runs out of bandwith. I'd imagine It'll be back up on Friday.

As my learned colleague has said, it's because Minimates Central has hit its monthly bandwidth cap. It'll be back up on Friday 1st August.

Apologies to everyone.

Please bear in mind that Minimates Central is a fansite with no outside support or banners/adverts etc. The cost of running the site starts to mount up the more bandwidth you allocate per month and it really is a case of one guy paying for its upkeep. Although the irony of me posting this on a forum that Shanester pays for out of his own pocket is not lost on me!

I didn't know that Minimate Central didn't have any revenue whatsoever (if nothing more than the cost of site upkeep). I can tell you that though that site did not get me started with Minimates, after I picked up my first few, it got me to realizing how cool other Minimates were and how badly I then needed them. Though I guess it would be undesirable and unlikely for DST to contribute, monetarily, to a site that provides honest reviews of its product, it's too bad that someone benefiting doesn't contribute in some way. . .

I would never ask for money/donations to keep Minimates Central running. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I believe DST are aware of the site but they could never help with running costs of a fansite because that would be a whole new can of worms in regards to favouritism claims etc. Previously I have been sent review samples by places like Stuckakid and Yikes Comics but I never asked them, they always asked me (which I guess was another good indicator of the site's popularity).

At the end of the day it is simply a hobby of mine that found a great niche and has become popular within that niche. I have always been surprised just how many people read the site, and I am pleased that it still has a following after the reviewer changes. I have trained Rad well ;)

I'd just like to say again that your site was the SOLE thing responsible for me getting into minimates. If I'd never seen them there, never would've bought any. Thanks! :D

Rad - sorry if that sounded bad, it was intended to be a positive thing for me to say! I meant that after a reviewer change it's still hitting the bandwidth cap so take that as a good sign even if it's frustrating when the site is down.

Deadpool - There's a whole bunch of folks on here who started collecting Minimates because of Minimates Central, and for that I am very proud :)

Rad - sorry if that sounded bad, it was intended to be a positive thing for me to say! I meant that after a reviewer change it's still hitting the bandwidth cap so take that as a good sign even if it's frustrating when the site is down.

Don't be daft chap! I was going for the cheap laugh. ;)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand it's back up :)

I was thinking that's what it was, but then I was having problems with another site. So I began to wonder.

Jenny

PS - Keep up the good work! I can always count on you guys for good, honest reviews & nice close-ups. Thank you. :)

Hey guys,

There seems to be another problem. It keeps saying that it can't open MMC homepage and that the action is aborted. Every other page on MMC works fine though. Anyone else encountering this? I want to know if its my computer or if I'm not alone here.