UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Should I get the new Indy dvd boxed set or...

Keep the old one? OK, I have the boxed set below from a few years ago and now we have the new boxed sets and this got me to wondering... Do I exchange these out and get the new sets? Am I losing or gaining anything for that matter with either sets? Something I will say is I noticed some glitches on the 1st two films and was hoping this got cleaned up a bit in the new dvd's. Of course my wife doesn't make it any easier when she says, it's up to me :lol: So I'm asking my fellow collectors, new or old set the best? I know that some of you are more fanatical when it comes to your viewing pleasure, which is why I've ask here and some other boards. Get back to me asap, as I want to pick this up this weekend, if possible. That way I can wait until Monday to go and see this and have a Indy weekend of viewing too.

40224853.jpg

Edited by The_Donster

Yeah I'm with BHM. It's pointless re-buying what you already have unless you're upgrading to a whole new media.

Spend them dollars on New 'mates. Hell, spend em on new 'mates and send em to me if you like. :D

I noticed some glitches on the 1st two films and was hoping this got cleaned up a bit in the new dvd's.

I just introduced my girlfriend to the Indy trilogy a couple months ago. I have the older box set too, but must've missed the glitches. What/where are they? I'm going to look for them now!

If anyone is interested in the single-packed movies, Target has them with metallic foil sleeves on sale for $10 each...

...but Wal-Mart has the 3-D lenticular-type sleeves.

Edited by handsomedevil

I noticed some glitches on the 1st two films and was hoping this got cleaned up a bit in the new dvd's.

I just introduced my girlfriend to the Indy trilogy a couple months ago. I have the older box set too, but must've missed the glitches. What/where are they? I'm going to look for them now!

If anyone is interested in the single-packed movies, Target has them with metallic foil sleeves on sale for $10 each...

...but Wal-Mart has the 3-D lenticular-type sleeves.

I can't remember where the glitch was on ROTLA, but on TOD it's in the mining scene where Indy hits the dude in the head with the rock. It's most likely my disc and I should at least replace the first two movies in the collection. I'm hoping I can just return things to Costco and make things easier on my self. Blu-ray still hasn't one me over and I'm not impressed with the cost of the discs or the players at the moment. I like what I currently have and until something new comes along, I'm going to stick with them for now. Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated.

I don't think that the documentaries that came with the 4th Disc on the original DVD release are included in the new release (and they were pretty dang good). However, the new releases also include some other, minor features that the original releases a few years ago didn't have. Ultimately, if you are an "Indy" completest, then you would want to have both. I am satisfied with my original release (and I didn't notice any glitches on mine. . .)

Look here for additional info:

http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Advent...0621&sr=1-3

I bought a PS3 for the Blu-Ray, but to be honest, I don't notice any difference between the upscaled regular DVD and the Blu-Ray. I've stopped buying Blu-Ray but now I buy video games!

I have the old Indy box set too (it was on sale for like 30 bucks at Target awhile back). I've heard rumors that the old set is better than the new box set. I haven't encountered any glitches in playback.

I do have the damned Star Wars box set with Greedo shooting first. God how I wish I could just have my Star Wars in classic, un-CGI enhanced form. Anyone wanna trade?

I do have the damned Star Wars box set with Greedo shooting first. God how I wish I could just have my Star Wars in classic, un-CGI enhanced form. Anyone wanna trade?

Yeah, the only saving grace of all that was the re-release theatrically of those films. Otherwise, I wish Lucas just would have left it the hell alone. Regarding the "unaltered" DVDs, I have read that those are shoddy transfers anyway, and that a lot of people were generally pissed off with the half-assed release.

Yeah, the only saving grace of all that was the re-release theatrically of those films. Otherwise, I wish Lucas just would have left it the hell alone. Regarding the "unaltered" DVDs, I have read that those are shoddy transfers anyway, and that a lot of people were generally pissed off with the half-assed release.

Yeah, it isn't that great of a dvd set. I was stupid enough to pick it up and was amazed at the bells and whistles on the original versions. But it has more to do with Lucas's ex-wife than screwing the fans. Which I don't think he does intentionally, since that's how he built his empire in the first place, merchandising. My wife of all people founds this online after we watched a 60 minutes interview. Apparently his wife at the time was one of the editors of the original trilogy and gets royalties whenever those were released in the past.

I respect that he wanted to see his original story the way it was intended, but I think it has more to do with putting the screws to her, more than that. Speaking from a ex's perspective, I can respect that. What I can't respect is how he altered A New Hope and had Greedo shoot first. Han shooting first was very important for the character's evolution in the end. We see him go from a "What's in it for me" type of guy, to someone they can count on in the end. Much like Bogart in Casablance. This might be one of the reasons Harrison wanted to kill him off in the end?

In typing this I now see what he meant in his interviews. Something I will say is, it isn't like they altered Lando's part in Empire, who went through a similiar transition between the Empire and ROTJ. They were both scroundrels who became strong leaders for the rebellion. JP, I have those single discs of the original cuts most of us grew up with and Karamazoo's right, they aren't that great. Right now Costco has them on sale for next to nothing, $8.99 I think? Senility, it's a wonderful thing, I was just there today.

If you need these though, let me know and maybe we can work something out. I grew to appreciate the new cuts more when I had some down time last year after some surgery and watched both. The only movie he seemed to screw with a bit was New Hope and most of it was justified. I think we can all agree, Han shot first and that's how it should have stayed. Anyway, it's late and I'm going to try and get some more sleep. I guess I'm going to wait until the last movie is released to see what they cook up.

Edited by The_Donster

Well, I seem to be the only one here who will have to Disagree. I say buy the new sets if the following two reasons apply to you. 1. You are a fan of the Medium and care more than just having another movie to watch. Or 2. You are a huge Indiana Jones fan, in which case there are a few really cool extras on the new DVDs that are not on the Old set.

Let me start by saying, if you already have the old set then we really aren't talking about either or, but should you spend the extra money or not. I also owned the old boxed set and I'll tell you what I did. I took the 3 movies from the old boxed set and traded them in at Movie Trading Company for credit, didn't get much but it was better than nothing. I then both all three new movies at Target for $30 a pop, the 3-Disc Set is $39.99, you do the math. I then kept the "Bonus Disc" from the first set because it has a lot of good stuff on it. However, the new DVDs have introductions by Steve and George, each one has commentary, and each one has at least 2 additional never before seen featurettes.

So, in the end, if you just like the watch the movie every year or so, just be happy with what you have. The quaility is identical. However, if you honestly love the series and are a fan of the DVD medium, you need to buy yourself the new DVDs. They have more to add to the experience and you will be happy that you have them in the long run. Sure, eventually there will be a Blu-Ray set, probably around Christmas when Kingdom-Skull comes out and even more propable is they will include all of these features, so if you can wait that long I would do that, but if you're like me you will enjoy these DVDs at least until the end of the year, and then having a nice Blu-Ray set to add to your Christmas list :). neo

I'm a big Indy fan, but I would just hold on to your set. This new set is nothing to write home about, seems like they are just trying to cash in on the hype of the new movie. I am happy with my set still and have no desire to "trade up."