UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Secret Invasion

neolego

When the heroes/skrulls come out the ship who is woman in white above captain america with one arm and who is the guy in red next to cap who asks if they have got back to earth?

The woman in white, I believe, is Mockingbird. I don't know a whole lot about the character, but I think I read somewhere that it was her. The person in red who asks if they got to Earth is Ms. Marvel ( again, not 100% sure but yeah).

For whoever said "Skrulls not knowing they're Skrulls seems unlikely," or however it was worded, Bendis said in this interview ( http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152226 ) that it would be the case for some characters. The interview in general has a couple interesting points.

So far, though, I gotta say I'm loving Secret Invasion. Not only is the story pretty sweet so far, but Leinel Yu's art in it is his best yet, in my opinion.

Oh, and I think someone asked that they hope they find out when exactly people were replaced by Skrulls. Either New Avengers or Mighty Avengers was going to be revealing that for the duration on Secret Invasion. Can't remember where I read that, but yeah.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cornflakes, i have it on very good authority that the book with the answers is new avengers.

I'll bet this whole thing is a blast for you, with your damn insider info :P

So what famous artists/writers have you met? Stan the Man?

i just missed klaus jansen once, i haven't really seen too many, altho CB Cebuski does work in the office and is a nice guy, i've actually seen some famous actors in the office, Paul Giamatti, and some bald guy who few a starship and was the founder of a school for gifted youngsters, if you'd like to talked to me about it though in person, I'll be wandering around the NY comic con on the saturday of the show, if anyone is there, can't give anything way on the stuff tho, i'l get canned faster than the great lake avengers get sued by tony stark. :)

For whoever said "Skrulls not knowing they're Skrulls seems unlikely," or however it was worded, Bendis said in this interview ( http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152226 ) that it would be the case for some characters. The interview in general has a couple interesting points.

So they're stealing the concept from BSG? No wonder I don't read/buy comics anymore.

(My Beyonder comment was a joke - I had no idea he'd recently made an appearance. Just thought based on the clues in this thread, logically he'd fit.)

• 4 weeks later...
I read them both. Guess it's for sure that

spider-woman

is a skrull.

Not necessarily. They said that person was in the best position to stir things up, but that doesn't mean that they were replaced. I say no one is a Skrull until they show them turn green (Hulks excluded).

Secret Invasion #2:

My thoughts ...

Not a lot was revealed. If the crash landed Mockingbird really isn't a Skrull and she really was away from Earth for a year ... how would that work? She was last seen in Hell years ago. Personally, I think Mockingbird and Captain America are NOT skrulls. This is going to lead into a "lost year" series. I'm thinking the Cap that died WAS a skrull.

And how about that Skrull army!

Good stuff all around!

I think the guy writing Captain America already has a plan on what to do with Steve Rogers, so I doubt that he was replaced by a Skrull. Bendis's post issue 2 interview seems to suggest that Mockingbird is the real deal though. It's entirely possible that her thinking she's been gone a year is a matter of Skrull mind manipulation. Ultimately, who knows.

Secret Invasion 2 just kinda pushes the story line along but the last page is a great one leaving you in suspense like issue 1

What I did read today as well was Avengers/Invaders 1 which I enjoyed but I would love to know where this sits in the timeline of present stories. I'm guessing its before Secret Invasion by a little bit but its a 12 issues series so it might catch up.

The real reason I ask this is for me it sets up a great premise for marvel that marvel should take advantage of if they have any sense.

Stick with me I'll try to explain.

We have 4 characters who a meeting would just be excellent.

We have SI Captain America from the skrull ship who is prob a skrull, Winter Solider Captain Am who is Bucky and the Invaders Cap Am and Bucky who are the real deal as well so just imagine these 4 in the same place at the same time, wow!

there is things that these could go through.

Would Bucky like what has happend to him.

Would Invader CA be happy that WS Bucky continued his legacy.

Who is the best fighter cause it would happen it always does.

And that could be a good way to bring back Cap Am

My Thoughts:

New Avengers - Good set up, leads you to believe one thing, but nothing is confirmed yet.

Mighty Avengers - VERY cool, I love following Fury through this story and can't wait to see what goes down!

Secret Invasion 2 - Eh, so-so. It was good for the purpose of showing the doubt that these heroes/skrulls are going to have to deal with. They can't trust anyone! That point is made very clear in issues #2. My two favorite parts are, as mentioned, the final page. Just exciting! THe other part I loved involved Iron Man.

When he says that he built his first suit with less. I dunno, maybe it's my extreme love for the Iron Man movie or the fact that I love the new Iron Ongoing and Love that is his director of SHIELD. Either way, I'm always excited to see what he's going to do. I think he is the ultimate good in the series and will play a major part. I can't wait to see what kind of armor he comes up with!

As for my thoughts on the Skrulls:

I do NOT believe that is the real Captain America. I think they are trying to get us to believe that, with Hawkeye and all, but I think it's smoke and mirrors. We saw the Dead Cap's body and it never changed shapes, however Electras did immedietly. So, that leads me to believe that the real cap was shot and killed. How they are going to justify that and bring Steve Rogers back, I have no idea, but I don't think he's on the ship.

As for Spider-Woman, I would have to bet she is. If you followed the New Avengers early you started seeing powers that she wasn't supposed to have and they would always make comments about, "Where did that come from" or "when did you learn that trick." It seems right too, however I'm not excited about it because I REALLY loved the new Spider-Woman. Hopefully they will work it all out.

Also, I think that the Jessica Jones that is married to Luke Cage is a Skurll. That would mean their child is a "Hybrid" Half Human, Half Cylo......Skrull. That would be an interested plot point in the future!

If I'm taking early guesses to how this all ends, I'm leaning toward more of a Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Finale where they join together to form one society. Only, the humans will be more dominate and some Skulls will choose to live peacefully on Earth and some with die for War. In the end I think to prophesy will be fulfilled and Earth will be their home, but it will not be what they expected!

neo

"Secret Invasion 2 - Eh, so-so. at I love the new Iron Ongoing and Love that is his director of SHIELD. Either way, I'm always excited to see what he's going to do. I think he is the ultimate good in the series and will play a major part. I can't wait to see what kind of armor he comes up with!"

Hmm... I agree I am excited to see what he comes up with, HOWEVER, I could not disagree with you more about his performance as Director of SHEILD. I think his character has become a complete sellout worrying about himself and red tape bull crap rather than looking out for the Heroes who used to have his back and looked up to him.

"As for my thoughts on the Skrulls:

I do NOT believe that is the real Captain America. "

Me either they are going to have some real explaining to do if they bring him back that way

"As for Spider-Woman, I would have to bet she is. I REALLY loved the new Spider-Woman. Hopefully they will work it all out."

As much as I love SW I am starting to lean towards the fact that she is, but the thing keeping me from thinking that just yet is the fact that the Skrull Empress may have not yet taken her form and replaced her and the fact that she was right next to Jarvis when he uploaded the virus and it didn't give any clue that she was in on it.

"Also, I think that the Jessica Jones that is married to Luke Cage is a Skurll. That would mean their child is a "Hybrid" Half Human, Half Cylo......Skrull. That would be an interested plot point in the future!"

I thought her leaving the New Avengers for the Mighty Avengers was kinda fishy too.....

"In the end I think to prophesy will be fulfilled and Earth will be their home, but it will not be what they expected!"

Nah , I think the Skrulls are way to stubborn to ever agree to anything like that given their past. They are not normally the kind of people to just give up like that especially after all the planning they have set in place for this invasion

neo

Edited by Fo Shizzle

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was kinda hoping they'd confirm whether or not Tony was a Skrull. One thing I din't understand was when the Skrulls were talking about how humans have spread distrust among themselves already and really didn't have to do a whole lot, and then Nick Fury shoots Ms. Marvel. I mean, how does he know 100% that any of his team got replaced during the fight?

Classic Beast & Classic Phoenix from space ship in savage land are dead

skrulls

so all the fallen heroes we've seen from the space ship so far where skrulls....so should we assume things already or are there some real heroes on the ship?

who knows? ;)

we'll see

One thing I din't understand was when the Skrulls were talking about how humans have spread distrust among themselves already and really didn't have to do a whole lot, and then Nick Fury shoots Ms. Marvel. I mean, how does he know 100% that any of his team got replaced during the fight?

I think that "spreading distrust" stuff was just in reference to the fracturing trust between superheroes the past few years, with Fury tricking heroes into his Secret War thing, a lot of the superhero pop. not knowing what the hell caused M-Day, Civil War and the secret identity issue, etc etc.

Don't know about Ms. Marvel -- after Fury took off it seemed like that was actually the real her he'd shot. I'd heard she was fighting a Skrull duplicate in her solo title, so I guess she won but Fury hadn't heard? Anyone reading her book want to fill in the details?

I don't think the Skrulls can just replace superheroes if they haven't done that freaky ceremony ahead of time, can they? The whole point of Fury's team is that no one's ever heard of any of them, so the Skrulls wouldn't have duplicates standing by. Hopefully we'll see some more flashbacks about them in one of the Avengers titles.

I also hope the main SI book gets past the first 5 minutes of the invasion soon, although it is a lot of fun :)

Don't know about Ms. Marvel -- after Fury took off it seemed like that was actually the real her he'd shot. I'd heard she was fighting a Skrull duplicate in her solo title, so I guess she won but Fury hadn't heard? Anyone reading her book want to fill in the details?

I don't think the Skrulls can just replace superheroes if they haven't done that freaky ceremony ahead of time, can they? The whole point of Fury's team is that no one's ever heard of any of them, so the Skrulls wouldn't have duplicates standing by. Hopefully we'll see some more flashbacks about them in one of the Avengers titles.

I also hope the main SI book gets past the first 5 minutes of the invasion soon, although it is a lot of fun :)

I actually did pick up Ms. Marvel's tie-in issues and it seemed to start out right before the invasion when she discovers her doppelganger. One thing about that though was that it was originaly made to look like the Skrulls don't replace Heroes without taking them out of the picture first, weird. Then in issue 28 she seems to be in New York after Nick Fury and crew leave, because the first page shes alone surrounded by super-Skrulls and then proceeds to kick ass. So it appears she didn't even get a chance to tell Nick Fury it was the real her which I don't think he really would have cared.

On another note regarding the ceremony they use to replace people, in one of the issues they show Shield agents taking Ms. Marvel & Ms. Marvel Skrull up to the helicarrier and a Skrull just walking up and morphing into an agent and just flying right with everyone else. So I'm not totally sure what exactly what the ceremony allows them to do. My only guess is that that's what makes them undetectable to magic, and things like Wolvie's senses, but we will see...

I actually did pick up Ms. Marvel's tie-in issues and it seemed to start out right before the invasion when she discovers her doppelganger. One thing about that though was that it was originaly made to look like the Skrulls don't replace Heroes without taking them out of the picture first, weird.

I'm not sure, but didn't the Skrull that was meant to replace Echo (a while back in New Avengers) transform into her during the fight? I don't think they have to have the 'replacee' already captured to perform that ceremony, maybe they just need some genetic material or something? Or maybe they just take on the look of the hero, capture them, then do the ceremony to take their actual powers...

Then in issue 28 she seems to be in New York after Nick Fury and crew leave, because the first page shes alone surrounded by super-Skrulls and then proceeds to kick ass. So it appears she didn't even get a chance to tell Nick Fury it was the real her which I don't think he really would have cared.

Oh okay, cool. Yeah, I didn't think Fury'd believe her if she said she wasn't a Skrull, I just meant he must have known she was on the list of those being replaced if he just shot her like that. Or maybe not -- he is Nick Fury :lol:

On another note regarding the ceremony they use to replace people, in one of the issues they show Shield agents taking Ms. Marvel & Ms. Marvel Skrull up to the helicarrier and a Skrull just walking up and morphing into an agent and just flying right with everyone else. So I'm not totally sure what exactly what the ceremony allows them to do. My only guess is that that's what makes them undetectable to magic, and things like Wolvie's senses, but we will see...

Morphing into a Shield agent is just like pretending to be any other human though, which the Skrulls have always been able to do. I'm no expert on the Skrulls, but it seems like outside of the Super Skrull having the Fantastic Four powers, they couldn't replicate super powers before this new ceremony thing. Plus like you said they can now evade magic/Wolverine, and it also seems to tie into the religion they're now practicing, whatever that is...

Edited by battlecat

Wow, like I said in another thread, last week was really busy for me, leading up to the iPhone 3G on Friday and a wedding on Saturday, so I didn't read any new books last week, until Sunday night. Last night I finally got a chance to sit down with SI: 4 and I loved it. I love the story so far and I think it's been one of the best Marvel Events in my Generation. Now, if I feel that way when it's over is still up in the air, lol.

Let me do this:

It was good to see Nick back in action. Bendis has made him the official Clint Eastwood of the Marvel U and I love anytime he's on a page that Bendis is writing. It was interesting to see Mr. Fantastic being held prisoner, and he's going to be one pissed off dude when he is finally released.

The Tony Stark angle interests me. I don't believe for a minute that he's a Skull. That would be too much of a cop out for all the crap that's went down in recent years. It is a nice move though, trying to seduce him to believe that he is, maybe even for him to fight by their side!

I will say that I was sad to see Classic Beast go. While I still love current Beast, I miss the appearance of the Classic Beast, but oh well!

While Fury Shooting Ms. Marvel is a Spoiler, you've already spoiled it so I'll share my comments openly about that. To be honest, I just think Nick and Black Widow are on the same page. Shoot and Ask Questions Later. I don't think Nick thinks she's a skrull, but at the same time, he can't trust anyone and he knows that. The reason he picked the kids is because they were under the radar and no one knew anything about them on their powers. The Skrulls would have no idea they would be their advisaries. During the battle they could have taken the shape of these new warriors but they would haven't their powers. The way I see it, these skulls have Wolverine's Claws and Cyclops' Eyes, and Iron Man's Tech and so on. I think if I were in their shoes, I would keep those powers over running really fast or swinging a chain that's on fire. Plus, you would have to think, in the transformation they would lose those other powers and obviously be vunerable.

Anyway, All in all I've loving this story and I can't wait to see where it ends up. Good think we have Mighty and New to keep us busy in the meantime. If you are going to do an awesome event like this, Monthly, having strong support books like Mighty and New is briliant! neo

While Fury Shooting Ms. Marvel is a Spoiler, you've already spoiled it so I'll share my comments openly about that.

This thread is only posted in after a SI issue comes out, and is clearly a discussion of the series, so I'm not sure why spoilers are needed. Same as I would never open the Doctor Who UK thread, since it hasn't started airing here yet... but maybe that's just me. I'll try to spoiler it up from now on.

Plus, you would have to think, in the transformation they would lose those other powers and obviously be vunerable.

We did see

the fake Invisible Woman enter the FF building by shape-shifting into a civilian

though, so it seems the suped-up Skrulls can at least switch back to their form with the stolen powers intact...

Anyway, All in all I've loving this story and I can't wait to see where it ends up. Good think we have Mighty and New to keep us busy in the meantime. If you are going to do an awesome event like this, Monthly, having strong support books like Mighty and New is briliant! neo

I'm with you on this being one of the best events I've read... I thought Civil War was great too, but the last event I really enjoyed before that was Age of Apocalypse, which I think was the only decent crossover in the '90s for Marvel.

I also think of the Avengers tie-ins as basically part of the miniseries itself -- review sites like IGN keep going on about how the content of the tie-ins should just be in the main book, but really it's all one big thing. The New/Mighty stories are certainly not about the current Avengers teams, Bendis is just using those books to look at everything that lead up to the invasion, while keeping the main series chronological. I think it's kind of brilliant, structurally.

You bring up Sue, but I think we are talking about Different Agents of the Skrull Empire. We see several types of Skrulls, in New Avengers (I Think) we see Scientist Skrulls and Priest Skrulls. Then we see Super Skrulls that use various altered powers, but not the shape of the hero. And lastly, we see the Invasion Skrulls that are made to REPLACE the humans. I'm thinking that the Sue we saw was the last of the bunch. She wasn't altered to be a "Super Skrull", she was just a spy agent. And, if I remember correctly, she never even used her powers, so we don't know what she could actually do. On the other hand, the warriors on the battle field, I would speculate, are a different class of Skrull. They have been altered to be super powerful with 2, 3, 4, or more super hero powers. However, they are set to look like Skrulls, so it would seem they may be stuck that way becase they've been altered. Dunno, just a theory! neo

I like your theory... but, does anyone remember if the Skrull that tried to replace Echo use multiple powers? For some reason I think it did but I may be wrong. (I'm at work and don't have my comics with me for cross reference :( But I agree Neo, the Spy-Skrulls maybe just go through the ceremony and not the super power enhancement program© simply because they don't need to if that's the case.

You bring up Sue, but I think we are talking about Different Agents of the Skrull Empire. We see several types of Skrulls, in New Avengers (I Think) we see Scientist Skrulls and Priest Skrulls. Then we see Super Skrulls that use various altered powers, but not the shape of the hero. And lastly, we see the Invasion Skrulls that are made to REPLACE the humans. I'm thinking that the Sue we saw was the last of the bunch. She wasn't altered to be a "Super Skrull", she was just a spy agent. And, if I remember correctly, she never even used her powers, so we don't know what she could actually do. On the other hand, the warriors on the battle field, I would speculate, are a different class of Skrull. They have been altered to be super powerful with 2, 3, 4, or more super hero powers. However, they are set to look like Skrulls, so it would seem they may be stuck that way becase they've been altered. Dunno, just a theory! neo

The Sue skrull was

Lyja

and was in fact a Super Skrull. But, at the same time, wasn't Sue a last minute replacement, meaning no official process done to replace her like we've seen for others. So, she just carried the look and not the powers. I'm thinking the Skrulls can take on the appearance of anyone (for instance, in the Ms. Marvel book, we see them take on civilian identities to hide amongst the crowd) but can only use the powers given to them. Ms. Marvel's powers are pretty common in the super community (flight, energy projection) so any Skrull could have been put in that place just to sow some confusion. I think the long drawn out ceremony for replacing someone gives you more of their personality traits, knowledge, and memory rather than just appearance and power set. That's why they can imitate the Sentry's power but not replace him, since taking on his personality makes for one unstable Super Skrull. Same for why they have powers for Wolverine, etc when they don't have the real thing in possession.