UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guns for Mates

I am in awe of your photos & began to think that maybe I'd update my camera & go for your spec. I just got the price...& I'm now in awe of that. I guess the photos themselves speak volumes as to the capability of the camera & it's user. Pete what do you use? Ivan's Database photos are also sensational ,I wonder what gear he uses? Maybe I'll open a new thread?

I'm just using a little 7 megapixel point and shoot from Pentax.

I would say one thing though...

Whatever camera anybody uses, irrelevent of price/quality, make sure you light the subject with as much light as you can! I'm not going to go into a load of technical jargon to explain why... but this way you'll get the best results possible from the camera you are using.

So do not underestimate the importance of light... it's far more important than the quality of the camera!!

A crap camera with good lighting will wipe the floor with a brilliant camera with crap lighting.

(I must admit though, i just used my ceiling light for my photo's, but i'm sure i could make them look a hell of a lot better if i did it properly.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete is right. Light is key to making a good picture. I prefer natural light but I'm not opposed to shooting under tungsten/fluorescent. Another thing that can make any shot from any camera look good is Photoshop. I almost always do post processing is PS. Another suggestion I should make regarding people using the on board flash on their cameras, is to diffuse it somehow. Either hold a coffee filter or an envelope over the flash to soften it a bit. It takes some experimenting, but you get a not so "washed out" looking shot.

One of the interesting things about 'Mates is, since are a deformed ratio, you can get away things not being exactly in scale. Some things you think just won't work do, and sometimes the reverse happens. I think the latest round of guns that come with the 'Mates are bit too small for the look. Because MiniMates have a child-like body build, oversized items look just fine in their hands.

One of the interesting things about 'Mates is, since are a deformed ratio, you can get away things not being exactly in scale. Some things you think just won't work do, and sometimes the reverse happens. I think the latest round of guns that come with the 'Mates are bit too small for the look. Because MiniMates have a child-like body build, oversized items look just fine in their hands.

Totally agree!

Actually I was thinking this just today...

T.

p.s. I also noted that Old School Baltar hair would be perfect for your "Mini Cappy" ;)

So -- Pete, Robail -- how much work is to get those Lego weapons into 'Mate fists?

I used a bluntish blade by itself and just scrapped it down the handle, pulling it towards me... i guess you could say i was shaving it really.

(the blade was virtually pointed straight down onto the handle not very far off 90 degrees)

It took about 5 minutes for each gun, with really thin shavings coming off each time but it was easy enough.

This way you can keep checking it with the minimate hand to make sure it fits snug.

If you're gonna try this method, be carefull and watch your fingers!!

If you're gonna try this method, be carefull and watch your fingers!!

I can't tell you how many times I've cut the end off my fingers customizing Minimates. The worst was sawing down Howard the Duck's legs, though shaving down Ash's shotgun was equally bloody.