UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Series variant(s)

Spoon Wielder

But then you have those who don't have access to them at an even BIGGER loss. I think DC has it right with not doing variants and just making more characters per set.

DC Way

1. No one "misses out" on the character(s) they love

2. No extra "Variant buddy" (Apocalypse and Hawkeye in last waves)

3. Less leftovers (some people only buy if they can get the whole set)

4. More Characters get made

I might add, I DO have access to the Variants and I have them all. It's cool to be able to say that, but for those that can't and want them, it kinda sucks. I work at a shop and I can tell you that, we sell more DC minimates then Marvel. I do believe the variants and lack there of have an effect on it.

Sidenote: to those that might say if I didn't take the variants, maybe we'd sell more, well quite frankly they're mine and you can't have them :P

If it was a perfect world, then DST would scrap the variants and give us 8 characters, like DCD does, per case than their normal 7 (including variant). And yes, I'd rather that the variant set hold 2 variants instead of one. Why not?

To me variants are OK... the extra minimates are perfect for customs/parts swappin'.

i'd like it if they put some thought into it, i think they do sometimes like:

bsg 1 you got an extra cylon

bsg 3 a spare pilot

trek wave 1, a spare red shirt

trek 2 a spare yellow shirt

trek 3 a spare vulcan ( i think the klingon would have been better)

i'd like it if they put some thought into it, i think they do sometimes like:

bsg 1 you got an extra cylon

bsg 3 a spare pilot

trek wave 1, a spare red shirt

trek 2 a spare yellow shirt

trek 3 a spare vulcan ( i think the klingon would have been better)

That is an excellent point! However, with the Marvel line that has no bearing on the current format. They're are no generic superheroes. We'll continue to just get an extra spidey or wolverine that we already have a dozen of as it is. They

For those of you about to shout me down, I say thee, "Wait!"

If they did a generic such as a Hydra trooper or a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent, AWESOME! They haven't gone that route yet and have shown no sign of doing such.

I didn't need an extra Apocalypse. I would have preferred NOT to have done the following to get Scarlet Spider and Hobgoblin. Gone to a stores website to find out that they don't offer it online AND that most of it's brick and mortar locations have closed down. Called said store to see if they had them only to be told by the less than intelligent staff that they don't carry them. Gone to the EXACT store I called and see that they are available and in plain view of the front counter. Scarlet Spider and Hobgoblin in the wave instead of Angel and Dupe Apocalypse is a better idea, in my humble opinion.

I might add, I DO have access to the Variants and I have them all. It's cool to be able to say that, but for those that can't and want them, it kinda sucks. I work at a shop and I can tell you that, we sell more DC minimates then Marvel. I do believe the variants and lack there of have an effect on it.

Interesting, since the only real reason for variants is to drive up interest in the line. I do think that people tend to get so caught up in hunting for variants that they sometimes skip over the basic figures. My own feeling is that variants should never be a unique character. They're more trouble then they are worth.

The variants are packed 1:4 packs of the two pack it replaces, so it's not like Kubricks with the 1:96 etc... I've never had a problem finding the Variants. I guess it goes 2 ways either you want the variant enough to put in some effort (Most online stores sell complete sets with variants as pre-orders so it's not like you have to hike to Tibetan mountaintop or something.) or you don't and miss out, it's that simple.

As for putting 2 unique figures in variant packs then as a collector I say good idea except it would drive production costs up, meaning we'd end up with DST cutting corners to make the numbers work, does anyone want a return to waves with no accessories or moulded parts?

Seriously I don't think it's a huge deal, you're talking about toys that cost what $7 for a two pack and perhaps $9-10 for the chase pack if you preorder it?

T.

If it was a perfect world, then DST would scrap the variants and give us 8 characters, like DCD DID, per case than their normal 7 (including variant). And yes, I'd rather that the variant set hold 2 variants instead of one. Why not?

Fixed that for you.

Maybe not doing variants hurt DCD's line in in the long (short) run? I'd say the Marvel Minimate business model was the better of the two. After all, we're still getting Marvel 'mates....

Hell, we're still getting BSG 'mates for that matter. You can't tell me they sell anywhere near the volume DCD's 'mates did.

IMO I think DCD was hurt more by the costs of larger mates and higher degree of unique molding rather than having chases or not.

Personally I think Minimates are really on the borderline of just being able to support chase figures, the production runs are rather low compared to mass-retail lines and small retailers are much less likely to absorb either ordering cases to ensure chases or the left-overs that people don't buy because they can't get the chase.

I could live without the chase figures as in general they haven't been versions that I have been interested in. The three that come to mind are the Secret Wars era Spider-Woman, the variant Archangel and Vision 2.0. I like these.

But overall I usually don't care to go after them.

Once I started pre-ordering either through my LCS or via the web, it has become a lot easier to get my hands on a variant though, which is nice.

I'd prefer a brand new character than a variant, as others have mentioned, but it seems that won't happen since every DST line (Battlestar, Trek, Marvel) does variants.

I will say in defense of the Marvel line, I like their variants on the whole much more than those other two.

The "to chase or not to chase" argument is old and undying. I like most of the variants, but would buy them whether they were variants or regular releases. I don't care if they stay or go as I will be buying them either way.

It doesn't seem like a sound financial strategy to have variants, but I am not the mastermind behind them, so who knows...

I confine my purchases of Minimates, out of necessity,to online shops & ebay.I have never bought a 'mate in a shop :o Bearing this in mind would someone explain to me how it works in a LCS when the 'mates hit the shelves? I assume the variants are priced higher (how much?) & isn't it human nature to grab them first? I genuinely don't know the score about this so....tell me please.

I've bought variants from a bricks and mortar collectors store and paid a tenner. I've bought from my comic shop and paid the same price as the rest of the wave cos that's how they work.

I have found the variants on pegs in a few shops and at retail (places like FYE & Suncoast). I have seen them in comic shops at inflated prices, but have never needed to buy them. Most of my purchases are from online shops and usually by the case, so I never worry much about not getting variants.

I have found the variants on pegs in a few shops and at retail (places like FYE & Suncoast). I have seen them in comic shops at inflated prices, but have never needed to buy them. Most of my purchases are from online shops and usually by the case, so I never worry much about not getting variants.

What Shane said! :)

This sums my experiences with chases up nicely.

I think where it gets stickier though is trying to find chases that you missed out on when they were released. Getting them as they released if you make an effort isn't that difficult. Playing catchup is less easy (ok it's still fairly easy just less so on the wallet).

T.

When I first started my addiction (from scratch) I concentrated on the variants first.This was generally(with expensive exceptions) a success,long term. In the UK ,it's not the variants that are the'problem' it's the exclusives that FU up. Exclusive AFX,Tower,TRU,Wal-Mart, FYE,Suncoast & heaven forbid Target are necessary 'evils' & IF you live in the States ,accessible & good fun, but it is almost a disease to be a completist in the UK :( However strangely enough although I've whinged about this many times....I love the chase,metaphorically & literally.

It may sound naff but if I hadn't have had a little(quite a lot actually) help from my friends here my 'disease' might have crushed me. Thankyou :D

Now I try to buy my minimates from comic shops....but pretty much every comic shop has told me the same thing when I ask for Marvel Minimates.

" We have to order them special, because everyone wants the variants and there's not enough mass market for the rest of the series"

Which ticks me off because I live in a small town with only one comic shop and the owner likes to 3 months or so before he even puts an order in for me.

I confine my purchases of Minimates, out of necessity,to online shops & ebay.I have never bought a 'mate in a shop :o Bearing this in mind would someone explain to me how it works in a LCS when the 'mates hit the shelves? I assume the variants are priced higher (how much?) & isn't it human nature to grab them first? I genuinely don't know the score about this so....tell me please.

It's really dependent on the store... sometimes they slip them right in with a wave, sometimes they get over-priced, sometimes they're held for "special" buyers, sometimes they're plopped right on the shelf... variants are a strange phenoma...

Here's my list of variant history...

(Note: These occurances all happened around the times the sets were new. Many on the day of release.)

Series 1, Black Elektra: Windy City Comics, my regular comic-book store, individually bought, retail price.

Series 2, Black Spider-Man: Ebay, bought it early on so a decently low price. Less than $20.

Series 3, Visorless Cyclops: Windy City Comics, my regular comic-book store, individually bought, retail price.

Series 4, Unmasked Daredevil: Windy City Comics, my regular comic-book store, bought with the set, retail price.

Series 5, Unmasked Dr. Doom: Windy City Comics, my regular comic-book store, bought with the set, retail price.

Series 6, Stealth Iron Man: Diamond's booth at Wizard World Chicago, bought with the set, retail price. (Note: From this point onward, I would have remained loyal to my regular store, but he stopped carrying them. I think because I was the only one buying them.)

Series 7, JJJ Chameleon: Ebay, fair price. Less than $10.

Series 8, Invisible Woman: Universal Studios: Islands of Adventure, individually bought, $12.99ish. (Note: This was the price of normal sets too. We're talking standard theme-park price inflation.)

Series 9, Diamond Emma Frost: Universal Studios: Islands of Adventure, individually bought, $12.99ish. (Again, standard theme-park price inflation.)

Series 10, Spider-Woman II: Diamond's booth at Wizard World Chicago, bought with the set, retail price.

Series 11, Frosted Iceman: Dreamland Comics, not my regular comic-book store, bought with the set, retail price.

Series 12, Raft Sentry: Keith's Comics, not my regular comic-book store, individually bought, $12.99ish.

Series 13, DOFP Wolverine: Diamond's booth at Wizard World Chicago, individually bought, retail price.

Series 14, Dark Phoenix: Dreamland Comics, not my regular comic-book store, bought with the set, $12.99ish.

Series 16, Bearded Thor: One Stop Comics, not my regular comic-book store, individually bought, retail price.

Series 17, Trans. Venom: Dreamland Comics, not my regular comic-book store, bought with the set, $9.99ish.

Series 18: Mary-Jane: Dreamland Comics, not my regular comic-book store, bought with the set, $9.99ish.

Series 19: Archangel: Cornerstorecomics.com, bought with the set, retail price.

Series 20: Vision 2.0: Cornerstorecomics.com, bought with the set, retail price.

Now I'll note, those are my own personal collection pieces, and how I acquired them.

Here's some more variants I've crossed paths with without hunting...

(Note: These occurances again, all happened around the times the sets were new, or still available in stores. In any event, after I'd already acquired my own personal variant.)

Black Spider-Man: My friend got his at Diamond's booth at Wizard World Chicago, bought as a set, retail price. (He actually got his before me. I didn't take this deal, because I already had the 3 regular sets. In retrospect, yes, I wish I had.)

Unmasked Dr. Doom: I found about 5 of these for retail price at Tower Records once. No idea why so many. Bought'em and ebay'ed'em.

Diamond Emma: I found about 5 at Universal Studios outlet store on clearance for $3 each, on a return trip to Florida, months after I got my original one. Bought'em and ebay'ed'em. (They also had several 100 packs of other series 9 sets on clearance. Tons of Deathstrikes/Patches & Punisher/Blades... Basically a dozen or so cases. I weeded out all the variants left.)

Spider-Woman II: Got one randomly from shopafx.com in one of their "You might get a variant, you might not" sets of 6. Ebay'ed her.

So as you can see... it's a rich tapestry.

Notice, my local comic book guy sometimes sold them to me individually, sometimes as sets (because he knew I wanted them all anyway) always at retail price. Dreamland comics, has been very inconsistant with their pricing, and sometimes with set/not set availability. (Though I continue to get variants from them, because they're usually reliable, and have them on release day.) Universal Studios, sold them normally alongside regular sets (albeit at a high price) only to later clearance them off alongside regular sets. And Diamond themselves have been a great source of variants through Wizard World Chicago. They usually ask that you buy the whole set, but with DOFP Wolverine I didn't even have to do that. (Funny story actually, when I bought my Zombie Daredevil & Spider-Man 3 Preview Packs, I saw it behind the counter and said, "Can I buy that?" and the guy said, "Actually no, sorry." and I said, "But I waant iiit..." and he said, "You want it? Okay..." lol. That was the exact exchange of words. I have no idea why he was holding it, or why he yielded, but I thank him.)

So uhhh... yeah... I bet that was way more typing then you actually wanted to read. ;)

Actually Gillbob your reply (esp.) is probably the most concise . Variants were probably a good marketing idea when they were introduced ,the era before many of us bought on-line. I could be wrong(it happened once :))but I would imagine ,now ,most of us here buy each wave including the variant as they are offered by the on-line retailer . I'll be controversial & ask 'if not why not?'.

My first concern is for 'Minimate Fans TNG' , if US LCS can't/won't stock chase sets we'll have a generation of short-changed collectors to add(subtract?) from those lost from Europe. My second concern is that we are being shepherded to on-line ,not a place known for it's democracy.Collecting is all about the chase ,that's fine if you can afford it,but I rue the day when only the well-heeled can collect......ask a Kubrick completist who's best hope of a set+chases is to buy 4-8 cases of 12 blind boxes. :angry: