UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Gorilla Grodd's Skull

Jatta Pake

I started a new thread because of the several places this is showing up and I really wanted to know the answer.

Question: Why does Gorilla Grodd come with a minimate skull (sans bottom jawbone)?

Credit goes to Big Bad Voodoo Lou for coming up with the answer at Raving Toy Maniac:

"From the [DC] Who's Who in the early 90s. The great Arthur Adams drew a memorable pin-up of Grodd holding a human skull in a pair of calipers. This inspired the DC Direct Grodd figure, which came with a skull and calipers, and may have directly influenced the Minimate Grodd's skull accessory as well."

grodd.jpg

The symbolism was used again in the HeroClix release of the figure of Gorilla Grodd, but this time it recreated the iconic pose from Hamlet with the skull of Yorick.

The symbology of Grodd holding a human skull has become iconic of the character - his social darwanist belief in total Ape mastery over the human race harkens back to the 19th Century when humans measured skulls to ascertain intelligence.

I started a new thread because of the several places this is showing up and I really wanted to know the answer.

Question: Why does Gorilla Grodd come with a minimate skull (sans bottom jawbone)?

Credit goes to Big Bad Voodoo Lou for coming up with the answer at Raving Toy Maniac:

"From the [DC] Who's Who in the early 90s. The great Arthur Adams drew a memorable pin-up of Grodd holding a human skull in a pair of calipers. This inspired the DC Direct Grodd figure, which came with a skull and calipers, and may have directly influenced the Minimate Grodd's skull accessory as well."

grodd.jpg

The symbolism was used again in the HeroClix release of the figure of Gorilla Grodd, but this time it recreated the iconic pose from Hamlet with the skull of Yorick.

The symbology of Grodd holding a human skull has become iconic of the character - his social darwanist belief in total Ape mastery over the human race harkens back to the 19th Century when humans measured skulls to ascertain intelligence.

Then technically shouldnt the skull be 2 inches instead of 2.5?

unless it is Bane's Skull I guess :blink:

that is a really good question. but i havent seen the pick of the minimate skull.

It still seems like an odd accessory. Why is the skull clear, and why can Grodd wear it?

If it was a human head, he should have just come with a Ghost Rider head.

the ghost rider head is a better skull but i think its clear cause the jaw bone is missing for some reason :blink:

It still seems like an odd accessory. Why is the skull clear, and why can Grodd wear it?

The skull is clear to create the illusion that it's missing the jaw bone. Just because Grodd can wear it doesn't mean he's supposed to.

Thats what i put 3 posts up <_<

The skull is clear to create the illusion that it's missing the jaw bone. Just because Grodd can wear it doesn't mean he's supposed to.

*Gives S7evin a cookie*

There feel better that the nasty man stole your idea? :unsure:;)

T.

*Gives S7evin a cookie*

There feel better that the nasty man stole your idea? :unsure:;)

T.

*sniff :( sniffle* yes thank you :P