UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The sales of minimates in Europe

no worries, just having a laugh with you.

Now, where was that document about reclaiming the colonies again...

Jo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, there's nothing to stop Hasbro (as receivers of the Marvel License) taking over the line and continuing to make minimates through Art Asylum, similar to how they took over the Marvel Legends line from Toybiz.

Of course, if that did happen, we probably wouldn't notice much difference other than a different logo on the box.

Ugh... after what they did to Marvel Legends, I'd almost want to see Marvel mates die instead. Hasbro taking them over would almost guarantee $10 two-packs, sculpted heads, no masks, minimal tampos and maybe one accessory each. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out the waist joint and made the entire torso one piece. It would be like fraking Pet Sematary for minimates.

Besides, I don't think Hasbro would bother with it. They already have a 2" line that is much more profitable and easy to produce -- Super Hero Squad.

However, there's nothing to stop Hasbro (as receivers of the Marvel License) taking over the line and continuing to make minimates through Art Asylum, similar to how they took over the Marvel Legends line from Toybiz.

Of course, if that did happen, we probably wouldn't notice much difference other than a different logo on the box.

Ugh... after what they did to Marvel Legends, I'd almost want to see Marvel mates die instead. Hasbro taking them over would almost guarantee $10 two-packs, sculpted heads, no masks, minimal tampos and maybe one accessory each. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out the waist joint and made the entire torso one piece. It would be like fraking Pet Sematary for minimates.

Besides, I don't think Hasbro would bother with it. They already have a 2" line that is much more profitable and easy to produce -- Super Hero Squad.

I have to agree that if Hasbro took over the Minimate duties, we'd likely see a more significant difference than a new logo. Remember how the C3 figures had a cheaper feel to them? From that, we learned that it isn't limited to just another company slapping their logo on the box. They do get some say in how things are produced, meaning if they want to skimp on production costs, that cheapness gets passed on to us in the form of some very weak joints, amongst other areas. And I agree that Hasbro picking up the Minimate slack would be unlikely since they can probably produce their 2" inarticulate blobs of plastic that resemble pre-school versions of our heroes and villains for far cheaper than they can produce a 2" action figure. The only good that could come from Hasbro absorbing the Marvel Minimate brand would be the possibility of breaking the 2" barrier.

But before we all get in an uproar and start crying "Woe is me, Marvel is dying!" we should remember that we have no idea what the specific deal is between DST and Marvel. It could be that DST is only losing the action figure license, meaning no more Marvel Select. Marvel's license is a big thing, divided into many smaller entities. The fact that you can get Marvel Megabloks, Spider-Man Legos, and Marvel Minimates at one time (it has happened) should tell us that it is a very wide market. I refuse to call this line dead until DST gives us a direct indication that it is indeed gone.

But before we all get in an uproar and start crying "Woe is me, Marvel is dying!" we should remember that we have no idea what the specific deal is between DST and Marvel. It could be that DST is only losing the action figure license, meaning no more Marvel Select. Marvel's license is a big thing, divided into many smaller entities. The fact that you can get Marvel Megabloks, Spider-Man Legos, and Marvel Minimates at one time (it has happened) should tell us that it is a very wide market. I refuse to call this line dead until DST gives us a direct indication that it is indeed gone.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I think Hasbro are flexing their muscles over the 6 inch format. Hopefully we'll get some clarification from the DST guys.

If it can't be considered good news, I'd at least say it's a softened blow. I never really bought into the resin statue stuff, so it doesn't affect me as a consumer. I'd say the only way this affects the Minimate line is that there won't be any more Maximates, which was pretty much a given to begin with.

Still, I'm sure this will be further clarified with the Q&A, but at least we can all settle down a little and get back to hating on DST because they won't sell in Europe. :)

If it can't be considered good news, I'd at least say it's a softened blow. I never really bought into the resin statue stuff, so it doesn't affect me as a consumer. I'd say the only way this affects the Minimate line is that there won't be any more Maximates, which was pretty much a given to begin with.

Still, I'm sure this will be further clarified with the Q&A, but at least we can all settle down a little and get back to hating on DST because they won't sell in Europe. :)

Amen!

Vig

• 2 months later...

19 and 20 should come over eventually, that'll be the last of the marvel line. BSG 4 and ST 3 should also make it.

DC would have been fine if it had continued as DCD always CE mark their stuff.

The Crint Eastwood stuff's a no go and I'd imagine Silence of the Lambs will be too. Anything solicited after December 07 will be US territories and Canada only.

Why is the Clint Eastwood stuff a no-go? When was that said?

I ordered it way back. It was cancelled. I can only assume that when it's resolicited it'll be as a non eu item. It's probably best to ask Chuck or Matt in the ask DST thread.

When you say cancelled what do you mean? I thought they were out in America already? I messaged DST over their myspace page but haven't gotten a responce yet.

plymouth should be getting their's by the end of the march/early april

i think their buying in large amounts from the US for us in the UK which i'm glad for as hate getting stung for custom's charge's

£12 for a set of minimates

£12 shipping

£4 vat charges

£9 handling fee

total £39 :(

but remember all the stuff they will be selling is "an adult only collectible not for children under the age of 14"

so no sticking minimates in your or your childrens mouths people

on an interesting note the defenders box set was a no-go for the same reason dst are'nt shipping to the uk, it was in previews, i ordered it, then it got cancelled by my lcs, but they got some from the US last week and guess whats on the bottom of the box.........

post-976-1205078888_thumb.jpg

thats right its safe to sell in the UK :blink:

post-976-1205078888_thumb.jpg

thats right its safe to sell in the UK :blink:

IMOP this 'CE business' is little more than a 'smoke-screen' , let's face it have you ever seen 'mates marketed to any significant level in the UK? If you know me ,you know how much I love these critters & it hurts me to criticise the people who produce them but somebody in their marketing dept. needs a kick up the ass ....... & yes I COULD do better .

l

i think their buying in large amounts from the US for us in the UK which i'm glad for as hate getting stung for custom's charge's

£12 for a set of minimates

£12 shipping

£4 vat charges

£9 handling fee

total £39 :(

but remember all the stuff they will be selling is "an adult only collectible not for children under the age of 14"

so no sticking minimates in your or your childrens mouths people

......so is it OK to stick them in the mouths of other peoples children :biggrin:

......12+12+4+9 = 37 ...... :lol:

......12+12+4+9 = 37

damn brain not working on a sunday

i think they sell well down here because they put some thought into marketing i buy alot of minimate's for customizing and the one's i dont use i trade/give back to my lcs they then give the out to children and new collectors and do promotion's.

at x-mas we had the minimate x-mas crackers, each cracker had a random minimate in it which was given away to the kids, theres the minimate easter eggs in a couple of weeks and i'm already helping stock pile spare's for the fcbd 08 give away

now if only other places or dst put some thought into doing things like this they might/would boost sale's

come on there is no other toy/action figure were you can mix and match from so many different comic, tv, movie's together, their compatible with lego and other building block stuff, hell you can even make your own figures out of them "the bat-spider-man"

So... it'll be £37 for a 2-Pack?

Ouch.

That is all...

So... it'll be £37 for a 2-Pack?

Ouch.

That is all...

well it was a set with archangel chase,i had got my case form my lcs but they were out of spare chase's so instead of waiting a couple of weeks for restocks i thought i'd order from the US, now i'm wishing i'd waited :(

but it seems the custom's chappy's over here are getting tough on people ordering from the US because of the strong £!