UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Hall of Justice

Nestlé

So for those of you just tuning in, my wife told me once that the greatest Christmas Present she ever received growing up was a doll house her parents made for her and her sister.

We have 2 boys, so you better believe I'm not building them a doll House... Well, okay, I kinda am.

I've been buying the DC Super Friends toys for Chance , my eldest I decided to go ahead and build him a Hall of Justice.

Don't worry, I'm not offended if you're kringing at the thought of what it'll look like. I've been on these boards for a long time now and never done a custom.

Well, I ,hope this first picture puts your fears to rest. I tossed a couple Super Friends in to show how HUGE it is, but regardless, here goes:

So for those of you just tuning in, my wife told me once that the greatest Christmas Present she ever received growing up was a doll house her parents made for her and her sister.

We have 2 boys, so you better believe I'm not building them a doll House... Well, okay, I kinda am.

I've been buying the DC Super Friends toys for Chance , my eldest I decided to go ahead and build him a Hall of Justice.

Don't worry, I'm not offended if you're kringing at the thought of what it'll look like. I've been on these boards for a long time now and never done a custom.

Well, I ,hope this first picture puts your fears to rest. I tossed a couple Super Friends in to show how HUGE it is, but regardless, here goes:

A few key things to note are that Flash is standing in a working elevator and that Supes is checkin' out the jail cell (more on that soon).

Stay tuned for more additions in the coming weeks... And some pretty sweet OTHER surprises.

On another note, this base is HUGE so if you have ideas for things I can build to put in there, toss 'em my way. ;)

post-102-1196910735_thumb.jpg

Looks great! Did you ever get that table finished, or rather, did you find chairs of the proper scale?

Sadly no-ish.

I say "no-ish" because the table isn't done YET, but shouldn't be a problem by Christmas. The chairs on the other hand will probably not end up hanpenning since the closest idea I had (using those plastic easter eggs and carving them) will not only take too long, but I would need to track down the materials (and it's the wrong season.)

But this is a perfect example of something I could use advice on. :D

Thanks Reideen! :lol:

I should have another surprise posted by tomorrow. :P

That is totally awesome and will probably be enjoyed by your kids for a long time-I know my dollhouse was the last of my childhood toys to really hold out. Of course, then I moved on to action figures and minimates so perhaps me still playing with my dollhouse at thirteen is just me being weird. At that point they were exiled French aristocrats who suffered from PTSD due to Grandpa having witnessed The Terror. You know what, I think we can narrow it down to me being weird. Still, this will be something to treasure for years-way to be a great parent!

Thanks, but I think we're having as much fun making it as they will playing with it.

This brings us to surprise #1.

We're going to fill the Hall of Justice with all kinds of accessories and characters, but since I'm a geek they've all gotta be from the DC universe, in continuity. My wife keeps saying "He's not going to have any idea what this is!"

And then I say "You're right, but maybe five years down the road he'll be reading a comic and say 'Hang on, this looks just like the toy I have!'"

For those of you who don't know Wave one of the Super Friends was comprised of Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern (John Stewart) and several variations of Batman & Superman... And Lex Luthor.

That's 5 against 1. Unfair by any means.

So I decided to even the odds. One all star super villain coming right up!

Without further ado I present... The Brain?

Is this a typo? He's like one of DC's lamest villains! Nope, 'fraid not.

I tried to capture it in the picture, but it doesn't show. He actually lights up with an array of different colors.

post-102-1196933229_thumb.jpg

For those of you who don't know Wave one of the Super Friends was comprised of Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern (John Stewart) and several variations of Batman & Superman... And Lex Luthor.

That's 5 against 1. Unfair by any means.

So I decided to even the odds. One all star super villain coming right up!

Without further ado I present... The Brain?

Is this a typo? He's like one of DC's lamest villains! Nope, 'fraid not.

I tried to capture it in the picture, but it doesn't show. He actually lights up with an array of different colors.

That is made of epic WIN. Now you just need a big ape for Mallah and you've got your quota of gay disembodied scientist/gorilla supervillians (a part of any nutritous breakfast) fulfilled. Adding in details like that will make this the gift that keeps on giving years down the line.

I LOVE the Brain Nestle'! Excellent use of one of those lava lamp-ish toys! :D I've been trying to think of other toys you might be able to add that would be in scale. If I come up with anything good, I'll let you know.

BTW - for villains, you can always look to the Spidey & Friends line. Also, if you want a Green Arrow type of character, track down one of these. It's almost perfect for the line. (Make sure you get the big one though - FP also has a smaller version that would go with their current Knights/Pirates/Dinosaurs lines.) Here's the only one I was able to turn up in a quick ebay search.

Hey Nestle, would Barbie chairs fit those characters? Sadly, my Little Miss just got rid of her Barbie stuff a few months ago, so I can't test that theory. If you think Barbie furniture would fit, give an eBay search for "Barbie patio" -- there are some pink chairs from a couple of decades ago that just might work...

I bet it would be pretty easy to find a scale Gorilla to put in there as Monsieur Mallah. Throw Roadblock's bullet belt over a shoulder (from the Joe 25th line), get a Dragon/BBI scale beret, and you are on your way to having the Brotherhood of Evil.

Don't worry guys, there are plenty more where that came from. We ALMOST did a Gorilla Grodd (Even though we have Brain, Mallah just isn't as big a priority to me as Grodd) but it is surprisingly hard to find a Monkey the right size.

As for Green Arrow... Thanks Reid! I bought it. :D

They ARE a close size to Barbie accessories but you need to do some creative "removal."

One thing I want with the table though is that it actually LOOKS like the conference table, bot swimsuit Barbie's garage sale. :(

This makes finding accesories plenty harder.

Last night my brother and I pulled out the bins of old toys we had from storage, and well Marsh Mellow Man will never be the same. ;)

That's all the hints I'll give for right now, but keep those ideas coming! :D

Thanks!

Man, I really like the Brain. Evil and yet hypnotically soothing at the same time.

Have you thought about adding a skylight to the Hall of Justice? When Hawkman comes out next year, it would be cool to give him a way to fly in and out of the Hall.

Yeah, I'm so stoked that CYBORG made it into wave 2! Who'd have guessed?

What you don't see in the first pic is that on the right side of the building there is a Helicopter pad for things like the new Batwing (and bird-heroes). As I get each section finished I'll be showing them off.

It actually comes as a bit of a relief to me, since:

a) I need the ideas

&

B) I'm a little self conscious about my first customs.

That being said, I have some more pics to show.

First:

A picture of "lit up" Brain.

Second, since Reid brought it up, I might as well post it today:

First I posted one of the lamest super villains in my books. Next, I give you one of my favorites.

Meet perhaps the cutest version of Deathstroke ever:

post-102-1197002808_thumb.jpg

post-102-1197002842_thumb.jpg

It's Disco Brain-convenient for those Dance parties that can break out at any moment. Simply lovely.

That's funny, cause my wife and I are arguing about whether or not a disco ball should make it into the Hall.

Anyways, it's a new day so it's time to post a couple new additions to the party. As you may or not have noticed I'm working at characters who will never see the light of day in the Super Friends line.

That doesn't mean I can just make heroes though. Today I present 2 of my favorite Heroes.

And since the Super Friends toyline's slogan is something like "teamwork, friendship & learning" it only makes sense that they be a classic pair.

So, I present:

Booster Gold & Blue Beetle!

That's funny, cause my wife and I are arguing about whether or not a disco ball should make it into the Hall.

Anyways, it's a new day so it's time to post a couple new additions to the party. As you may or not have noticed I'm working at characters who will never see the light of day in the Super Friends line.

That doesn't mean I can just make heroes though. Today I present 2 of my favorite Heroes.

And since the Super Friends toyline's slogan is something like "teamwork, friendship & learning" it only makes sense that they be a classic pair.

So, I present:

Booster Gold & Blue Beetle!

Hmmm... What you can't see is just how "Shinny" and Gold Booster's outfit is in the pic.

post-102-1197011286_thumb.jpg

post-102-1197011356_thumb.jpg

I'm headed off for work today so I thouht I'd post our last 2 custom characters.

Also, after what Boyd said about the skylight I realized the first pic was hardly good enough, so I've got some newer ones.

First, I give you a character we didn't expect to turn out well. To our surprise he's awesome!

Mr. Mxyzptlk!

On the other hand we have a villain who turned out, well... Not so great. Once upon a time he was the Stay Puffed Marshmellow man... Now:

Chemo.

Just because that's all our customs though does not mean we don't have a LOT more coming, so stay tuned. ;)

post-102-1197066348_thumb.jpg

post-102-1197066378_thumb.jpg

post-102-1197066426_thumb.jpg

post-102-1197066450_thumb.jpg

Well yesterday was pretty huge for showing customs but I should at least post SOMETHING today.

So, without furthur ado the first piece of "furniture" for the Hall:

Going in the Trophy Room---> Star Conqueror!

Is that an old Pokemon? :P The work you are doing is extrordinarily impressive! Keep it up, Mr. Lifeguard!

You know it!

It was pretty funny actually. I walked up to my brother one day and said:

"Hey Jon, can I have your old Staryu?"

He asked confused:

"Tim, are we talking about Pokemon cards?"

And I replied:

"No, Pokemon toys."

He smiled and said:

"Starro?"

Great minds think alike I guess. :P

• 4 weeks later...