UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Army Builders'

hyejinx1984

AA's doing a pretty good job of releasing fan favorite characters now as Mates, but what about the generic 'army members' of the Marvel universe? AIM, Hydra, Shield Agents, etc... would you guys like this?

Also, how would you like these distributed? Would they just be one of the figures in a two-pack, or should there be a whole seperate box set, say for $20, that comes with five or six figures that have pretty much the same bodies but with different heads, different gender indicators, different ranks, etc...

I think this could be a cool idea.

It would be cool to get an army builder set or even a "wave" of sorts. There are so many generic armies in the Marvel U that could benefit from the concept. Right off the bat, I got:

* Hydra

* AIM

* RAID

* The Hand

* SHIELD

* "Capekillers"

* Purifiers

* NYPD

Another character to benefit from the army builder would be Jamie Maddrox, the Multiple Man.

All that being said, I don't see it happening. AA/DST has never shown much interest in army building. The closest they've come is the Cylon assortment we've gotten over the past year, starting as a collector set and expanding into the first two waves of the BSG line. If the concept were to expand into the Marvel line, I doubt it would last more than a single exclusive set or part of a "wave" at a local retailer.

Hmm. I guess the idea popped into my head when I finally got my Nick Fury minimate, and I started switching out his head with other random characters, making "random" shield agents...

I'd also love Skrull and Kree armies. I actually think that may have more of a possibility of happening considering the up coming events.

It would be cool to get an army builder set or even a "wave" of sorts. There are so many generic armies in the Marvel U that could benefit from the concept. Right off the bat, I got:

* Hydra

* AIM

* RAID

* The Hand

* SHIELD

* "Capekillers"

* Purifiers

* NYPD

Another character to benefit from the army builder would be Jamie Maddrox, the Multiple Man.

All that being said, I don't see it happening. AA/DST has never shown much interest in army building. The closest they've come is the Cylon assortment we've gotten over the past year, starting as a collector set and expanding into the first two waves of the BSG line. If the concept were to expand into the Marvel line, I doubt it would last more than a single exclusive set or part of a "wave" at a local retailer.

Whilst I was busily listing my ideas you've done the job for me,thanks. I think Capekillers would sell well !

I appreciate its not a Marvel license (so forgive me) but I'd love to see an army of Jin Roh Kerberos cops .

post-638-1195762095_thumb.jpg

I would buy a pack of Kree and Skrull warriors. Do you think they'd sell best in a pack of 6, three of each, or two seperate boxes of five of each?

I'd also love SHIELD agents. They'd be cool!

Hmm, maybe it would be good to package them WITH a prominent character of that army? Such as...

Captain Marvel, Kree General, and 3 Kree soldiers

and

Super Skrull, Skrull General, and 3 Skrull soldiers

Thing is with that, I'd only buy one set, where as if they were all 'random' soldiers/agents, I'd buy a few.

Just my thoughts. I'd love a Captain Marvel to appear in a proper wave!

If they had to put a prominent character in each box it wouldn't be so bad if you were getting someone they've never released before. For example:

SHIELD boxed set:

-4 SHIELD Agents

-1 Dum Dum Dugan

Skrull boxed set:

-4 Skrull guys

-1 Power Skrull

AIM boxed set:

-4 AIM soldiers

-1 MODOK (hey, I can dream!)

HYDRA boxed set:

-4 HYDRA soliders

-1 Baron Von Strucker

Kree boxed set:

-4 Kree soliders of varying rank (color of uniforms)

-1 Captain Mar-Vell (in his 2nd costume)

That kinda thing would kick ass.

Nice as a box set sounds, I really think these would work better in a single 2-pack type capacity. It's far more costly to tweak the look of one design to fit several people than to make one design for one person. So a Kree/Skrull 2-pack could work, as could an AIM/RAID, SHIELD/Capekiller, or Hydra/Hand 2-pack.

Now if you want to build an actual army, I want to see the Nova Corp reborn in a similar manner to the Green Lanterns in the DC line. But I can't recall if we had any actual famous Novas other than Rich Rider himself.

A box set I'm surprised they haven't done: Spider-Man clones. It fits the business model of Spidey-heavy, the costs are simple since most of his costumes could be done with just a minimate body, and it gives them a chance to unload some of the designs that failed to make it to production. As for us collectors, we can get the Iron Spidey costume and free up some slots in the next few waves for other characters.

I would seriously buy army builder packs....especially a Madrox one....just drooling at the idea of him in his 90's costume, and one with a trenchcoat...or you could have a modern set of his current look, again one trenchcoated, his agent of shield and best one, agent of hydra...I wold gladly buy multiples of multiple man!

Jeff of the Minis

Modok is an interesting thought. We know 'mates can't exceed 2.somthing-ish inches tall for the Marvel license. I wonder if there's a similar restriction for width? :)

AIM soldiers would be my 1st pick - just because I like their containment suits. Kree and Skrull sets would be next on the list. I think they should be done like the BSG 5 packs.

AIM soldiers would be my 1st pick - just because I like their containment suits.

Some clever head swaping with AIM and you can have your very own Minimate Devo!

But seriously... Two pack would be the way to go.

Kree/Hydra

Skrull/Iron Spidey

Shield/Hand

AIM/Capekiller

Gotta mix em up so they all sell.

1. A better looking Nick Fury with SHIELD agents.

2. Madame Hydra with Hydra agents.

3. Modok with AIM agents.

4. An updated Elektra with Hand ninjas.

5. Moleman with his Moloids.

6. General Thunderbolt Ross and US soldiers.

7. NYPD policemen.

8. Generic masked thugs, bank robbers and punks.

Wow, I'd sure buy Elektra with a bunch of Ninjas... ^_^

I doubt too that 'Army Builders' will ever made, but was the Cylon pack "succesful"? Who knows, maybe we get a surprise like we did with Archangel...

Successful ? Probably with 'us the faithful' but I've just read in the '24' thread that they are discounted to $6 a pack at Suncoast or FYE! Maybe not commercially successful then?

Wow, I'd sure buy Elektra with a bunch of Ninjas... ^_^

I doubt too that 'Army Builders' will ever made, but was the Cylon pack "succesful"? Who knows, maybe we get a surprise like we did with Archangel...

Successful ? Probably with 'us the faithful' but I've just read in the '24' thread that they are discounted to $6 a pack at Suncoast or FYE! Maybe not commercially successful then?

I wish there was a Suncoast around here. <_<