UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

We should declare a Minimate Day!

Jad

I think we ought to declare a certain day of the year to be the OFFICIAL Minimate Day! A day on which we celebrate all that is wonderful about our little obsessions. There shall be feasting, drinking, diorama building, feats of strength, and so on!

The date ought to be the 14th, in honor of the 14 points of articulation. But, I can't think of a compelling reason to choose one month over any other. What are your suggestions? Discuss!

:lol:

I was thinking that. I've only collected since around wave 10, rubbish I know.

Or was there a date when a load came out at the same time?

Actually it should be the day when they first came out with the 3 inch rockstar,bruce lee, etc. lines. After all, they were the 1st minimates!

I'm not sure we'll ever know the exact date that Minimates first appeared on store shelves.

There are some Minimate related dates in the Community History wiki page....

That's a terrific resource, Ivan. I can't believe I never came across it before.

I noticed a certain trend in that Community History page.

-The first pics of Star Trek 'mates came out in June ('02), which, if I understand right, were the first pics of any minimates ever seen.

-minimatescentral.com opened in June ('04).

-minimatemultiverse.com opened in June ('05), and becomes the official forum of minimatescentral.

Can you see where I'm going with this? I still really like the idea of the 14th being the date, due to the 14 points of articulation. So, with a lump in my throat, may I humbly propose:

June 14th?

Lets do it!

I know its ages away now, but how can we celebrate it? I say DST makes each of us one Minimate of our choice ;)

Pshhh I wish.

But seriously, how could we celebrate it?

It looks like everyone is in agreement on June 14th, so I amended the thread subtitle. Let's keep throwing around ideas for ways to celebrate!

How about posting pics of your 'mates around (or bursting out of) a birthday cake?

So we need to come up with a mascot for our day. You know like Easter has the Easter bunny, Christmas has Santa Clause and Halloween has The Great Pumpkin. This way we can have a "secret (Minimate Day Mascot)" where we all swap gifts.

Well who is the most iconic minimate? Or most Iconic Mascot.

For me its Spidey as there are the most of him and he was the first 2incher.

So a Secret Spidey? It's still open to suggestion. That's just my idea.

So we need to come up with a mascot for our day. You know like Easter has the Easter bunny, Christmas has Santa Clause and Halloween has The Great Pumpkin. This way we can have a "secret (Minimate Day Mascot)" where we all swap gifts.

Well who is the most iconic minimate? Or most Iconic Mascot.

For me its Spidey as there are the most of him and he was the first 2incher.

So a Secret Spidey? It's still open to suggestion. That's just my idea.

Actually, I believe the first two-incher was Silver Surfer.

In the spirit of Minimates, we can declare it the holiday on June 14th. Then, about a week before, we'll change it to August 7th but we'll actually celebrate it on July 25th except the West Coast which will celebrate a week earlier.

Sound about right?

that sounds about right.

I would say Spidy for most Iconic mate, got excited for minimates in the first place.

Eh, Silver Surfer might technically have been the first, but the first 2" Spidey is the most iconic and first in the hearts of the fans. So maybe we could have Santa Spidey be the mascot, just for the heck of it. Maybe we can send one (read: 1) minimate, spare or not, from our personal collections to another member. sort of like the Secret Santa during Christmas, but a lot simpler.

Actually, I think first order of business should be, unless there are no objections, to declare June 14th to be the first Minimate Appreciation Day. The second order should be to alert AA, DST and DCD to this grand gesture, and see if they care to mark it on their calenders. :D

I'm of the opinion that the mascot should not be an existing licensed character. The strength of the Minimates line is that it is a phenomenon that spans multiple licenses, including original characters like the Hunt Mate. Shouldn't we honor the easy customizability of the line by creating our own custom character? But these are details that can be ironed out in the future.

I completely agree with TM2, the next step should be to get the day officially recognized by the Powers That Be (by which I mean AA, DST, DCD). Surely the mods can step in at this point?

***edited for clarification***

Yeah, let the mods doing it. I wouldn't suggest all in favour email DST/AA/DCD as they'd all get rather annoyed.

So I think we are all in agreeance.

14th June=Minimate Appreciation Day