UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Speedy custom help

Hello all. I'm interested in making a custom minimate of, perhaps, my second favorite comic hero of all time (after Ted Kord's Blue Beetle): Roy Harper; aka Speedy, who would go on to become Arsenal and Red Arrow. . .and I thought that I might fish around here for some advice from any of you that might have some to give.

Here is a pic of him carrying a dead drug addict for anyone who doesn't know what he looks like:

speedy.jpg

here is another:

speedy1.gif

and here is another from wikipedia, where you can see more of his body:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Speedy88.jpg

My first thought is that he has to have Green Arrow's hat/hair to begin with. Then, I will trim his hair a bit to make him a little more clean-cut, repaint the hat yellow, hair red, and he should be well under way.

But beyond that, I'm not sure what is the best route to go. Initially I thought that what might work really nicely is to use Green Lantern for the rest of his entire body. His outfit, based on the interpretation by George Perez (that I am using as a rough template), is pretty tight on his body, including the gloves and boots, so that is fine. But there are a couple of issues that I ran into as I put some thought into it. First, Speedy's head has the mask that lays just around the eyes, so that seemed to work pretty well. However, Lantern's mask is pretty big relative to Arrow's and Speedy's, covering his nose instead of laying on top of it. Though I kind of like the exaggerated quality that the Lantern mask gives. . .I don't know, it doesn't seem right. Any idea of other figures with that kind of mask that is smaller, like Green Arrow's, but who have a clean-shaven face like Lantern, preferably with a smirk, or some look of confidence? I would prefer to keep my customization to the body, as the Minimates faces are so good that I don't want to mess with them and thus mess them up. I know Robin has that kind of mask, but that huge smile would be of the young kid Speedy, and I would prefer to do the teenage, over-confident, post-junkie if I had a choice.

Anyway, if he is just a repainted Frankestein of Arrow and Lantern, with a quiver added from my Pocket Super Heroes Green Arrow (I don't like the massive thing attached to Minimate Arrow), he would look something like this, but with different colors, obviously:

P1010051.jpg

So, what do you guys think? Is the mask a little big? Any ideas for anything else that I might do to improve upon my idea before I go buying up parts to create this abomination of the Minimate gods? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Add in a shirt bottom from Ryu, and that'll give you the extended bit of tunic with the belt...

Hmm. . .also helps with another problem that I would have had to run into:

P1010053.jpg

then, add in the Riddler face:

riddlerc3.jpg

Trim off the belt, repaint relevant parts. . .outfit is a little exaggerated, what with the low cut neck line and blooming tunic. But I think that might work. . .any other ideas? Thanks for all the helpful comments so far, by the way, they are much appreciated.

Well, I could use that face, but that would be about it. I've seen this custom on auction before, and I actually think its pretty cool, but I'm going more for Speedy than Red Arrow. Maybe I'll go that route instead of using the Riddler face, though. . .

• 2 weeks later...
I dont know how desperate you are to make this custom but going by the pics I have already seen I would say that the upcoming Marvel Hawkeye has a quiver that would suit Speedy.

Its no rush at all (I haven't even acquired all the necessary extra pieces yet--I'm not getting rid of my existing Minimates for this), but I think Hawkeye's quiver is actually molded to his extra, molded chest piece. It could still work, but I'll probably end up using the Pocket Heroes version that I already have. I think that one works pretty well. . .