UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 16 images and review

die_fliedermaus

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I love ya and all, but this being the most anticipated Marvel wave ever, we kinda need some pics of everyone. Like individual shots, preferrably hi-res.

Just curious why is this such a highly anticipated series? Because it has been so long? Because of the mostly second string characters? Because it is the Avengers? I am not knocking any of this mind you, I am serious. I understand the love of Thor but for the most part the characters are kind of weak and there are many others I would have rather seen before these. Seriously I know this sounds jerkish but I want to know why this group is so amazing?

Mostly because it's a sign that DST do listen occasionally to the fans, new molding after waves of part reuse, non-movie characters and pretty much every character has been long requested by fans.

In my case it's simple answer of She-Hulk = Only Marvel title I actually buy :)

My LCBS didn't have the chase, so this is just for the base six. Overall, this is a pretty solid wave. It's nice to finally see some of the characters we've wanted for so long, but, as always, it's not perfect. There are a few easy fixes, and some that might take a little more elbow grease to get the "ideal" characters out of these mates.

One thing I was struck by was how...muddy, I guess, many of the new sculpts are. The DC accessories have all been very crisp, with clean edges and clear details. A lot of the accessories on this wave are soft and seem blurry, if you get my meaning. The standby hair molds are really starting to show their age.

Also, paint apps are fairly minimal on these. They found ways to avoid unnecessary (?) colors on the arms and legs, sticking to the base color and one app. The torsos and heads are sharp and look very good, but lack the minute detail of the DC mates. They're much more like the designs of mid-series Marvel mates (which makes them fit in with the line better, I guess).

Thor

ThorSmall.jpg

It's obvious they blew their wad on this figure. At least five, but possibly as many as seven (if I'm not forgetting a previous use) unique pieces here -- helmet, hammer, cape/chest, belt, and boots for sure. I think the arm bands are new, too; I don't recall seeing the narrower arm bands with a groove in the middle used before. Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will ;) )

ThorAccSmall.jpgThorFace2Small.jpg

Notes:

• The boots are interesting; they're following the DC model of full foot pieces rather than slipping over the standard foot. Also, it's nice that they wrapped the detail tampo around the sides and back on these.

• The face he comes with looks awkwardly small. I swapped it for Wave 11 Cap's face, which I think looks much better.

• The belt is potentially very cool, with the winged "T" sculpted on, but, as I said, the casting isn't very sharp.

• Same with the hammer; potentially awesome, but the straps around the handle are indistinct.

• Here's a minor gripe: I wish the cape looked more fluid and billowey (althogether now..."like the DC mates"). This one looks a lot like C3 Supes/Sentry's cape -- it drops straight down in a mostly rectangular shape.

I like this figure a lot. I've been waiting a long time for a Thor, and, for the most part, I'm well pleased with this one.

Loki

LokiSmall.jpg

Another budget buster, although not quite as much as his brother. Two unique pieces and one very well-thought-out reuse of White Queen's cape.

LokiAccSmall.jpg

Notes:

• The ponytail will be useful for an Ultimate Thor custom. Not much else to do with these pieces, though.

• Torso tampo has great detail.

• For those concerned with Wave 20's phasing Vision, Loki's arms and legs look like they might do the trick for a solid version.

I wasn't that interested in getting this figure, to be honest, but he's well done, nonetheless.

She Hulk

ShulkieSmall.jpg

This is a fantastically-done budget Mate. Minimal paint apps, recycled hair piece, and it all came together beautifully.

ShulkieAccSmall.jpg

Notes:

• I always chuckle when I see Ultimate Storm's lightning bolt earring on yet another character...

• She comes with a pipe. You already know that.

Good stuff. Not much else to say. Shulkie fans will be satisfied.

Wonder Man

WonderSmall.jpg

There are a few things that seem kind of goofy about this one. Mostly, the face is weird and the hair is the wrong color and way too bulky.

WonderAccSmall.jpgWonderHairSmall.jpg

Notes:

• Why brown hair? I would have used black. And the particular piece they used seems awkwardly chunky -- think of the "helmet" effect from a lot of the X3 mates. I'm not sure if it's a new sculpt or not; it looks a lot like the variously-recycled men's hairpiece (used on Cable and others I can't think of right away. Is there some kind of Dewey Decimal System for Minimate pieces so we all know which ones we're talking about? Can you guys get on that?), but it has more detail in the tufts of hair on the top. And it's really chunky. I swapped it out for the black version of Cable's hair.

• Can't remember if the belt is a unique sculpt, or if it's been used before.

Not my favorite figure in this wave, but an essential Avenger.

Quicksilver

QuickSmall.jpg

Another good budget mate. Really nice details, and a good part reuse.

QuickAccSmall.jpg

Notes:

• The hair comes from Ultimate Wolverine, but, again, the mold seems like it's losing some of the crispness and detail. I'm going to have to add his little hair-streaky-antenna-strand things. Because it has to be perfect.

• I really like the blue color of the plastic they used. I'm glad they didn't do paint-over-clear as they have in previous waves.

• For those who are worried about it, yes, the lightning tampo goes around the sides and back -- the white and the black outline. Hooray!

Thumbs up.

Scarlet Witch

WitchSmall.jpg

If there had to be another unique part mold, it was with Scarlet, and they did it well. A good-looking figure all-around. Really. Her torso tampo is pretty hot for being printed on a square.

WitchAccSmall.jpg

Notes:

• Same little gripe as with Thor's cape -- flat and rectangular. It's a unique mold, though (I think).

• It would have been nice if her hair had a little more body to it, like Batgirl's. Picky, picky.

• Okay, just one more thing, and if I had to pick from the three, this would be the thing I would actually change. Scarlet's hex bolts have a very distinctive energy signature. It would have been awesome to see a new sculpt with crescent shapes that arced around her hands. They could have reused them for Dr. Strange. C'mon! Fine. I'll do it myself.

I griped a lot, but only because I love her. This is the figure in the bunch that disappointed me most because she could have been so much cooler with a few little tweaks. She's still probably my second or third favorite.

So that's it. Overall, a great wave; nothing that would stop me from recommending a buy. These guys definitely whetted my appetite for what's to come...

THESE LOOK SO SWEET!!

I CAN'T WAIT TILL MINE ARRIVE!! :biggrin:

I really thought She-Hulk looked better with New X-Men Phoenix hair in the prototype than she does with Ultimate X-Men Storm hair...

I wonder why they changed it...

And I also agree, Wonder Man with brown hair was just stupid... thank god I have so many spare black hair pieces from my various Iron Men...

Huh? That's like asking why "JLA is so great in the DC Universe". Besides, I think I can sum-up others' elation;*a-hem!!*(clears throat), "Not one single Spiderman or Wolverine variant"! Then again, both of these characters have been in the Avengers as well. Any more "brain-busters"?

Man i cant wait to get these and i agree with Ady it is sad. its either having a go about delays ( which im all for) or about the figures themselves we all should get over the complaining and just be happy to be able to ad new stuff to our collections.

Nice i Review im thinkin when i get mine Wonderman is gonna get Bruce Waynes hair as i think it will siut the character more

My thoughts exactly.... Bruce Wayne's slicked back hair fit's Simon much better and will be my display piece as well.

Other than that, Really like the Thor and Scarlet Witch!!!

and can not wait to get the whole set

Question: Does Quicksilver's hair piece have a peg in it?

I can see the peg in Wonderman's hair, which tells me that it is a new sculpt. These latest minimates seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel. Zombie Daredevil had a new sculpt of the exact same mask we've seen before and a new sculpt for his sticks as well. It seems that She Hulk's hair has a peg added to it too. Odd that they would retool a mold but leave the lightning bolt earring on.

Question: Does Quicksilver's hair piece have a peg in it?

I can see the peg in Wonderman's hair, which tells me that it is a new sculpt. These latest minimates seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel. Zombie Daredevil had a new sculpt of the exact same mask we've seen before and a new sculpt for his sticks as well. It seems that She Hulk's hair has a peg added to it too. Odd that they would retool a mold but leave the lightning bolt earring on.

Yep, it does have a peg. I wonder if they really did retool these molds, or if they just added the peg to them. Like you said, it wouldn't make sense to resculpt the exact same piece, and it wouldn't be hard, or too expensive to add a peg to the existing mold.