UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Could a Minimate Multiverse exclusive happen?

The answers from the latest Q&A got me thinking.

How expensive is it to do a retailer-exclusive release? SillyGooser, I know you did one for ECCC. Any other store owners that have gone down that road? Would it be even remotely conceivable to do a Minimate Multiverse set of...something we could all agree on?

I assume we'd have to scrape together the funds to pay up front – how much would each of the 1000 or so members of the forum have to come up with to make this happen?

The answers from the latest Q&A got me thinking.

How expensive is it to do a retailer-exclusive release? SillyGooser, I know you did one for ECCC. Any other store owners that have gone down that road? Would it be even remotely conceivable to do a Minimate Multiverse set of...something we could all agree on?

I assume we'd have to scrape together the funds to pay up front – how much would each of the 1000 or so members of the forum have to come up with to make this happen?

It would cost a lot... it's been looked at but is probably still too expensive to do for now.

Also we might have 1k members but we only have a small portion of them that are active posters, even if we optimistically said half then thats still 500, the minimum runs for these sorts of things are usually 3-5k so you can see we'd need to sell at least one to everyone and then a lot more.

I think they sold pretty well but It's a year Later and Jaycen is still pimping the last few of his ECC mates so it's not an instant return on cash either ( which are v.cool, if you dont have them yet go talk to Sillygooser, tell him TBT sent ya ;) ).

T.

I figured around $5000 was the neighborhood of a run cost. It does seem wildly impractical, but here are a few points to consider:

1) If we could do universally-requested characters -- say a Hawkeye/Vision set -- I bet lots of people would come out of the woodwork. I'm not sure if there would be licensing issue with that. Would DST have the authority to do those characters under a blanket Marvel license, or do they have to get approval for each and every character they do, every time?

2) If we charged $10 a set (pretty standard) we'd need 500 people to chip in. $15 a set (pushing it), around 350. $20 a set (really pushing it) drops the number to 250. Then there are the members who buy cases without flinching -- would they chip in $25? $30? I would, for a character we might not see otherwise.

3) What if some of our kind retail sponsors stepped in to help shoulder the cost? They don't have to make the risky investment on an entire run, but get the benefit of sales it if it succeeds.

4) There seems to be greater interest in Minimates now than ever before, with new lines like DC selling like wild and the TV/movie lines breaking into retail. Strike while the iron is hot?

Just something to think about. Chuck, if you're reading, any thoughts?

I figured around $5000 was the neighborhood of a run cost. It does seem wildly impractical, but here are a few points to consider:

1) If we could do universally-requested characters -- say a Hawkeye/Vision set -- I bet lots of people would come out of the woodwork. I'm not sure if there would be licensing issue with that. Would DST have the authority to do those characters under a blanket Marvel license, or do they have to get approval for each and every character they do, every time?

2) If we charged $10 a set (pretty standard) we'd need 500 people to chip in. $15 a set (pushing it), around 350. $20 a set (really pushing it) drops the number to 250. Then there are the members who buy cases without flinching -- would they chip in $25? $30? I would, for a character we might not see otherwise.

3) What if some of our kind retail sponsors stepped in to help shoulder the cost? They don't have to make the risky investment on an entire run, but get the benefit of sales it if it succeeds.

4) There seems to be greater interest in Minimates now than ever before, with new lines like DC selling like wild and the TV/movie lines breaking into retail. Strike while the iron is hot?

Just something to think about. Chuck, if you're reading, any thoughts?

Ok first off I'll qualify myself and say my experience here is pretty surface based, however I talked to AA way back when I did the bombmate about doing it 'properly' with a nice tampo rather than a decal etc and have talked to various people since about what they have had produced as blanks and ballpark costs involved.

I think you're wildly underestimating the costs for producing these. Your costs are actually way less than those for producing 'blanks' in that sized run, let alone licensed characters that would probably require new tooling, tampos etc.

As Shane says... "It could happen will it, Cant say yet for sure..."

T.

You know, instead of thinking, why not start a poll type thing and ask how many members would donate how much to get an estimate on how much we could raise?

I think you're wildly underestimating the costs for producing these.

Ah... I misread your previous post. You meant a run of 3-5K, not a cost of 3-5K... :)

So what is the cost for something with tampos and tooling (if anyone knows)? $10K? $20K?. I can't imagine even a decent-sized online retailer like Action Figure Express sinking that much into an exclusive, but, then again, I have no idea how their business operates. Did AA/DST used to share the cost of those sorts of exclusives with retailers, then pulled back the reins when Minimates hit a "slow patch?"

God bless this old chesnut.

I looked at many ways of funding this place (most of them with little success, Im still $500 down on this place since it started) and for a while toyed with the idea of an official exclusive, as opposed to a bombmate style thing, but personally I doubt the financial viabilty, any thats read what I psoted in the BTTF enchantment two pack thread will have an idea as to where I'm coming from with regards to the cost/potential sales etc side of things. Personally (and while Im no longer admin Im still the finance man) I'd like to see this place self sufficient via donations/advertising before we embarked on such a huge endevour.

It'd be marvelous if it happened, and who knows it might one day, I'd jump at a debut exclusive two pack though, if you remember the only 2 pack exclusive to ever sell out was one of the AFX ones as they were the first SF2 mates out there, and the casual buyers grabbed em.

You know, instead of thinking, why not start a poll type thing and ask how many members would donate how much to get an estimate on how much we could raise?

Hey, unless we have about $10K to start, its not even a possiblity using a Marvel character. Blanks, maybe. No poll necessary.

Hey, unless we have about $10K to start, its not even a possiblity using a Marvel character. Blanks, maybe. No poll necessary.

I was talking just a blank with that cubed earth on it.

Nice idea but people will often put their money in a poll but not when it means parting with actual cash!

I think you're wildly underestimating the costs for producing these.

Ah... I misread your previous post. You meant a run of 3-5K, not a cost of 3-5K... :)

So what is the cost (if anyone knows)? $10K? $20K? For something with tampos and tooling, I mean. I can't imagine even a decent-sized online retailer like Action Figure Express sinking that much into an exclusive, but, then again, I have no idea how their business operates. Did AA/DST used to share the cost of those sorts of exclusives with retailers, then pulled back the reins when Minimates hit a "slow patch?"

You'd be surprised, but I dont think DST would want those figures as public knowledge anyway.

I'll do some digging, and see what I can find out...

One thing to make clear is that people shouldn't randomly start to email DST asking for pricing/numbers for exclusives or blanks on MMMVs behalf, as I imagine that would just piss them & Shanester off.

T.

Paying $15 each, we'd need 666 people to get to $10,000. Magic number. ;)

I was talking just a blank with that cubed earth on it.

A MMMV-branded mate would be cool, but I think we'd have a lot more success selling to a broader audience with licensed characters of some sort. The die-hard, "put pretty much anything on a Minimate and I'll buy it" collectors are a sure bet either way. We'll need to get the casual collector on board for something like this to work.

God bless this old chesnut.

I'll bet it brightens your day every single time someone digs up this idea, huh? ;)

One thing to make clear is that people shouldn't randomly start to email DST asking for pricing/numbers for exclusives or blanks on MMMVs behalf, as I imagine that would just piss them & Shanester off.

T.

TBT is actively investigating the posibilities of a MMMV exclusive at some point.

I ask that all other members PLEASE, do not contact DST about this. Its something we have explored and there is no need for anyone to make enquiries.

Personally, I'm not that much into blanks, though I'd buy a MMMV blank to support the site.

I think doing a licensed character would be the only way to go, no matter what the property would be. That would bring in interest from all the collectors who just have to have a complete run of characters. And it would probably bring in a lot of new members.

Hell, why not go all-in, and do a MMMV-exclusive LOTR wave 3? The designs are in place, right? ;)

Hell, why not go all-in, and do a MMMV-exclusive LOTR wave 3? The designs are in place, right? ;)

I don't think they have the license anymore.

I really have to laugh at these threads. You need to have lots of cash and the process would be so involved to even scratch the suface.

Good luck getting a stranger give you money upfront for something that hasn't even been produced. Heck people were already getting antsy waiting for the Target free giveaway...lol

It's a nice idea, but far from happening. Can you imagine the labor costs and time to get the product out to people who buys them? What are you going to do about the surplus? Good luck spending your nights packing minimates, I have a hard time as it is.

It's has been actively pursued (2-packs and Blanks) in the past but just wasn't in the cards.

I'll tell ya what, if I win the lotto, I'll make it happen. I'm serious.

I'll echo everything said before, it would be cool but you basically need the cash on hand to even start the negotiation process. When Minimates were owned by Art Asylum, some retailers like Bad Apple Comics and SillyGooserTC were able to sponsor an exclusive but I have no idea if DST would even allow such an exlcusive now that they own the Minimates license. Also, using a license such as Marvel for your exclusive may be outside the scope of DST's contract with Marvel. At one point in a past Q&A, Chuck said Marvel required pre-approval for all character selections.

I understand runs of Minimates smaller than 3,000 are not cost effective enough to make them worth it. So you would need a very large run.

Fujis and I kicked around a lot of ideas in the past and we did some investigation for a Minimate Headquarters exclusive. In my dream world fantasy the MMHQ exclusive would take the following forms:

1. Not a blank. I think these have run their course with collectors.

2. Not based on a license. Don't need this added cost.

3. Try basing the character on an inhouse design or character in the public domain.

4. Aim for a fun "army builder" type character in which collectors will buy many multiples.

5. Limit extras.

Personally, I lean towards a "ninja" figure with the only extra pieces being a selection of cool weapons. It would be a gamble to try to break even. And we'd be selling these for years. But it would be fun as hell!

Like Ady said, trying to first break even on the website side is a more realistic goal.

Never say never. The first step is getting the cash. Unless you are rich this means putting together a coherent business plan and getting a loan from a bank.

That's my 2 cents for all the armchair Minimate enthusiasts and dreamers out there.

3. Try basing the character on an inhouse design or character in the public domain.

How about a historical figure, like Abraham Lincoln or Cleopatra? Albert Einstein would be pretty cool.

This is something that's nice to think about, but I doubt it'd ever happen. But I don't want to rain on the parade, because I'd love to see it happen.

Personally, I'd have no problem paying $10+ per MiniMate for an exclusive like this, if it's a licensed character that we wouldn't get otherwise. But I'm not interested in a blank, or even a MMMV logo one. Were this to be reasonable, I think you have to forget 2-packs, and think of a single character (or if you do 2-packs, it would be two of the same person). You also want someone that people will want multiples of, since that would make sales way easier. You don't want a "big name" like Hawkeye or Vision, because those should really be part of a regular wave. Ideally, you want a "fan-popular" character that DST isn't likely to make.

Only one guy fits the bill: We need to get the community behind Madrox the Multiple Man! I'd happily drop some cash for several of him.

OK, I love everyone's enthusiasm on this subject. However, I will tell you that if a MMMV exclusive were to happen, unless we had tons of money to throw at DST, it would not be Marvel or DC related. Nor would it be LOTR Wave 3 since that license has expired. It would most likely need to be a blank with the MMMV logo on it's chest. I am an eternal optimist, but you're looking at $10,000+ easily for any licensed exclusive. Total cost for my exclusive was just over $6000. That includes every cost that goes into making a blank with one tampo. DC and Marvel will be way more expensive with paint and more tampos and accessories. Not to mention the approval process from both Marvel and DC. It could be done, but we'd have to raise some significant funds to do it. I'll gladly help out if this is something that everyone really wants to make happen. Even if you got half of us members to donate $25.00 or more, we'd well be on our way to making a kick ass exclusive. And maybe instead of recouping everyone's individual cost, they would simply get the exclusive. Then MMMV could absorb all of the profit and keep this site going for awhile. It's a great idea, just needs to be thought about extensively and serious fund raising efforts would need to occur.

-Jaycen

My 2 Cents

An exclusive for a liscenced character: We could do it, if there was one that was already out there, and there was a commitment to DST in the form of a check. This would be hard to do because we are a group of individuals, and saying "i would pay x for an exclusive" sounds easy, but somebody has to front the bill at first...that would be the hard part.

The blanks are cheaper I am sure, but once again same scenario exists.

EDIT: SORRY JP DIDNT SEE YOUR POST, BUT I GUESS WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE :)

My suggestion, is to create a fund we can contribute to, and then not to get a "blank" but instead get a white, red, or black minimate and instead of a chest logo, but a set of eyes on it , like a ninja mask. Then we could have a "blank" non liscenced mini, that has a face (ninja mask) that people could army build. Red could be the "hand" ninjas for marvel fans, or "gi joe" fans. If you need an example of what i am talking about, does anyone remember the storm shadow design from minimate headquarters? I think we could get people behind a blank ninja army builder mate

What do you think?

I like JP's idea of making a non-licensed army builder like a ninja. It could be mostly a blank to save on paint costs, but have more detail than a blank.

The ninja would probably be pretty simple. It could be all black or all gray, and give it some creepy yellow or red "Batman" like eyes. A belt or a sword would be nice too, but maybe out of the question.

I'm new here, but I would certainly be willing to contribute.

I'll echo everything said before, it would be cool but you basically need the cash on hand to even start the negotiation process. When Minimates were owned by Art Asylum, some retailers like Bad Apple Comics and SillyGooserTC were able to sponsor an exclusive but I have no idea if DST would even allow such an exlcusive now that they own the Minimates license. Also, using a license such as Marvel for your exclusive may be outside the scope of DST's contract with Marvel. At one point in a past Q&A, Chuck said Marvel required pre-approval for all character selections.

I understand runs of Minimates smaller than 3,000 are not cost effective enough to make them worth it. So you would need a very large run.

Fujis and I kicked around a lot of ideas in the past and we did some investigation for a Minimate Headquarters exclusive. In my dream world fantasy the MMHQ exclusive would take the following forms:

1. Not a blank. I think these have run their course with collectors.

2. Not based on a license. Don't need this added cost.

4. Aim for a fun "army builder" type character in which collectors will buy many multiples.

5. Limit extras.

Personally, I lean towards a "ninja" figure with the only extra pieces being a selection of cool weapons. It would be a gamble to try to break even. And we'd be selling these for years. But it would be fun as hell!

Like Ady said, trying to first break even on the website side is a more realistic goal.

Never say never. The first step is getting the cash. Unless you are rich this means putting together a coherent business plan and getting a loan from a bank.

That's my 2 cents for all the armchair Minimate enthusiasts and dreamers out there.

Mmmmm, Mechacon Minimates... :D

Oh wait, I'm sorry, am I a step ahead of you again? ;)