UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Plastic or paint

I got to thinking about this after I opened my Phoenix and Jean Grey yesterday. They both have hands cast in Caucasian flesh tones, and I can think of few others like that. Most un-gloved hands are cast in white or the body color and then painted. They've also done this with heads. Most noticeably the Streetfighter Minimates. The two-packs had painted faces, but the TRU ones were casted in that color.

So which do you prefer? For me, it's plastic. It just looks more vibrant. The paint has a dull look to it, whereas the plastic makes them look more "alive."

Am I the only one that thinks about this stuff?

Actually, I prefer the fully painted figures. I just like the more uniform look to all of the colors as apposed to the shinier plastic/duller paint combo. So, you're not the only one that thinks about this stuff... You're just wrong :biggrin:

Actually, I prefer the fully painted figures. I just like the more uniform look to all of the colors as apposed to the shinier plastic/duller paint combo. So, you're not the only one that thinks about this stuff... You're just wrong :biggrin:

For the costumes, I do like the completely painted bodies. For instance, Ben Reilly Spider-Man is much better than regular Spider-Man because they painted everything, rather than relying on the red plastic for the red. That makes the colors stand out better.

It's only with skin that I prefer the plastic. Odd I know.

It's only with skin that I prefer the plastic. Odd I know.

Actually it's not odd at all. Human skin isn't flat, it's layered. CGI modellers struggled getting flesh down right for years until they had a way to create skin that had a subtle translucency to it. Because the pigment is molded in, colored plastic is closer to a realistic flesh look than just paint.

I prefer painted uniforms as well, probably for the same reason.

I was JUST thinking about this. I prefer paint for everything but the head. Like the DC minimates have done (except Joker). You say the TRU SF ones have normal faces? Damn it, now I want some...

I generally prefer colored plastic over painted parts. The fact that painted parts look more vibrant is a good argument, but I think it's more due to the plastic AA uses on the Minimates than anything else. Take LEGO minifigs, for instance. Molded pieces and vibrant colors.

The other problem I have with the painted bodies is all the broken hips our Mates have been suffering lately. The extra paint in the joints is causing quality issues.

Okay... I'll revise my previous statement.

I actually do prefer the fleshy tones to be cast. That does look better.

The bodies, look better painted, but like Minivenom said, it does add to some hip problems.

So, I guess I'm split.

I used to be a casted plastic person, but the high quality of DC Minimates is converting me to a painted plastic person.

I'm with antacost and I'm split on the issue. For my customs, I have converted to prefering fully painted. I now follow the "Mini-Myte System" and prime the entire Minimate gray before applying paints.

I like theh bodies painted except for the heads and skin tones.