UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimate variants?

The_Donster

Apologies up front if someone has already started this discussion, staff, please feel free to merge this with that topic. But I was at my LCBG's shop yesterday and he was asking me why there wasn't any variants in the DC Minimates, like the DST Minimate lines? What's everyone's thoughts on this, does there need to be a variant in the line to sustain it or is DCD just testing out the waters before starting the variant wars with DST? Just curious what everyone's thoughts were on the matter. Me? I'm a little on the middle ground on things and could go either way. Since it would have been nice to see a Lex in his power suit or a Bruce Wayne in wave 1. Feel free to even start a variant list with the existing upcoming waves :thumbsup:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (ect.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(ect.)

It messes up all the cases and it makes it harder to collect all the minimates from that line

So again NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(ect.)

be happy :banana:

I too prefer a line without varients. It may be to do with D.C having a selection of four duos per wave, as opposed to bsg and marvel which have three duos. I couldn't imagine from all the D.C waves so far which characters would have varient versions.

DCD has really said anything about this and I believe they just chose not to do so when having them made by AA.

As someone who sells on occasion, it's hard sometimes to please everyone if there are variants. Plus retailers love to make an extra buck and overcharge which I think isn't fair. It should be done on an order basis or first come first serve.

The positive/negative thing is that sometimes you can get rare versions of the characters you like Pheonix/Dark but they also become hard to get. They you have the odd ball ratios for the short packs. 1 variant pack, 3 shortpack, 4 regular, 4 regular. Then I try to even it out by getting more variant/shortpacks and I'll end up with more of a common character I prefer not to have (Hint:Firestar). There are advantages/disadvantages for a company, but with such a mess I prefer no variants.

B)-->

QUOTE(O.B @ Mar 21 2007, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too prefer a line without varients. It may be to do with D.C having a selection of four duos per wave, as opposed to bsg and marvel which have three duos. I couldn't imagine from all the D.C waves so far which characters would have varient versions.

Wave 1 could have had a Batman/Bruce Wayne with an Omac. I'd have purchased both just to get a 2nd Omac. (If they'd package it with a C3 flying piece I'd buy bunches...)

Wave 2 - variants gallore (galore?). Braniac could have had multiple variants. Robin could have multiple variants. Penguin could have been a simple repaint to a black suit (with purple pants like the mego figure 'natch) and would probably have been the best choice for an easy variant like DCD is prone to do. Fate could have a vac metal gold variant. Powergirl - not really an opportunity for variants there. Booster could have had a different costume. Beetle could have had an earlier costume or the current Beetle's duds.

It's hard enough to get the standard minimates over here in the UK, i normally resort to ebay.

Variants are even harder, so i'm glad DCD don't (usually) do them.

yeah cancer is a variant of human tissue...

there is a perfect example of a variant.

DC has made a good decision by excluding variants. Also who would wanna buy a set with a variant when it also has a clone of a miniamtes you can't stand.

Look at the DC Superheroes line, the variants aren't that interesting. If you want a variant get yourself a fine detail brush and a paint set.

This way everyone can collect the whole set.

Who would rather have exclusives (eg GL John Stewart) than a variant.

Yeah, count me in with the "no variants please" crowd, and not just for the reason TITAN mentioned.

No variants means an extra figure per wave, and no redundant figures (though I think BSG did it well by having Cylons packaged with the variants)

Jo

DC Direct DOES offer variant Minimates.

They just don't make them CHASE figures.

There's a significant difference.

I'm betting that DCD is leery of chase figures – particularly popular variants – because they catch enough shit on the rare occasion they do that in their other lines. Collectors are generally fed up with too many Superman and Batman variants in the "6-inch" line and they're not even chase figures.

Such variants are necessary to the success of this line. There's no way retailers would order more than four series without having another version of a popular character in the mix. Personally I'm all for variants because I like significant costume changes. Battle-damaged versions are okay but I prefer era-specific variants as well. Put a Golden Age Batman into a classic JSA assortment if it means it'll make it to market.

I'm sure retailers are missing the chase figures in the DC line simply because they can't overcharge for them and exploit their customers like an instant secondary market.

Bottom line: NO CHASE FIGURES, please. Keep this line collectible.

Hope they stick to it. Count me among the cacophony of voices who don't want chase figures. If a variant will be easy enough to find, I'm OK with that I suppose, but even the variants drive me a little nuts.

I'd prefer they stick with the way they are doing it now.

I asked the DCD guys about this at SDCC 2006. They said there were no "chase" figures planned for the line.

For the time being, I see that being the case. DCD had a long tradition of being very equitable in their case-packouts.

However, in the past several years, there have been a number of 'case incentive' variants for retailers. At first they were mostly unannounced - they were a surprise when a retailer would open a case up and find a little something extra.

I wouldn't be surprised if DCD surprises us down the road.

The way I like to look at is, with Variants you do get some nice things, like Symbiote Spiderman, but you can also get crap sometimes, J. Jonah Jameson. There is the possibility of losing a character too, like Spiderwoman II. So I'm in favor of DCD keeping it with the 4 2-pack releases. Look at it this way, with Marvel and DST we get 7 per wave, with DCD we get 8. More mates...

Yeah, count me in with the "no variants please" crowd, and not just for the reason TITAN mentioned.

No variants means an extra figure per wave, and no redundant figures (though I think BSG did it well by having Cylons packaged with the variants)

Jo

My sentiments exactly! I personally wish that ALL MM lines would drop the superfluous-variant and adopt DCD's equally-packed ratio. My point is this: "very few variants are actually distinct/relevant enough to warrant production. The few that are, usually are desireable enough that they could be released separately in a future wave with a completely NEW figure or reserved for a box-set...win/win situation: relevant variation+MORE MM characters released!". BSG is the rare exception to this formula, as they have (so far) released their variant with a Cylon Centurian, which (I'd imagine) no-one minds having multiples of: variant+army-builder="muy bien"! "Give-up the CHASE, and give us more 'mates!" Bravo DCD, bravo.

No Variant, No Variant, No Variant.

My LCBS won't get me the Variants, for some reason (so, I still don't have the Marvel 12 & 13 or BSG variants), and charge $15 for them. I probably won't ever see the X3 Variant. Or Ghost Rider. Or Avengers. Or Spider-Man 3. Or future BSG.

I like the DC line not having any Variants.

The rest of the lines need to follow suit. You want to make a variant, make it a regular figure, not a chase. Not everyone being able to get a variant, or having to pay more for one is bull.

Thank you, DC Direct. Thank you.

No variants, please. They're a hassle and a pain in the ass.

I like getting 8 totally new characters instead of 8 characters, 1 of which is a repeat and another 1 of which is tough to get ahold of.

I'm all up for some exclusives to be sold or given away at comic cons, online, and so forth. If people can get them online that can't go to events, that's the best. It's fair for everybody. Extra venues are what I'm talking about and they're great to push the line and build excitement. But variant chase figures just suck.