UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Open packaging - any resell value?

So I need to clear out some clutter and reorganize and prioritize my collection. Among the items I've been holding on to are the open empty packages from a lot of my Minimates. I'm talking 2-pack, 4-pack boxes and blister cards with the plastic trays and inserts, empty blind bags and blind bag boxes (which I know some people collect so the blind bag boxes I'll likely keep or resell on their own). My question, before I dump these in the recycling bin, is there any additional resell value for including the empty packaging with loose 'mates? If I were to someday sell my collection (which is 98% opened and loose) would there be any substantial value in having the packaging? I'd rather not keep all these empty boxes if they aren't going to amount to much as I'd imagine any buyer(s) would just be opening them up anyway.

So what say you, experts in all things Minimates? Keep it? Chuck it?

I'm kinda in the same boat with my collection. I've yet to even open any of my Walking Dead 'mates but need bin space. Back when I was more frustrated, I was keeping them sealed for resale. Now I'm kinda apathetic about the line and if I do sell it off, it'll be here.

Closed, sealed packaging only suggests that the contents are complete, assuming one can actually see the contents. I've always thought it funny that many collectors could be buying bricks in boxes if they never plan on opening a windowless box. And with MIB you may have to worry about the condition of the packaging. That's why I've ditched the packages I've opened from the start.

(And as a long-time Minimates collector, I'd argue there's more value in having opened a package to ensure it's complete. It's not often I've been short-changed an accessory or gotten two left arms, for example, but when it comes to factory errors, it's best to catch DST Customer Service early. Having to replace Absorbing Man's ball & chain from Series 5 might be challenging, for example.)

One could argue the packaging might assist in shipping and protect the product but in this particular case, it'll make shipping cheaper without all that plastic and cardboard.

I say chuck it.

I hold on to the outer packaging/cardboard; I like to be able to refer back to the little character blurbs. The inner trays that hold the mates get recycled** and the outer plastics hold the mates for a while while the mates are 'new' and I am still enjoying them as the latest release. After a while, when the mates get stored in baggies, I use the outer plastics for other projects*.

* - I actually used many plastic Minimate outer plastics to help patch my previous car. It had a lot of rust and I used the plastics as forms/support with expanding foam to fill in the rust holes.

** - Minimate plastics do not actually have recycling symbols on them. At C2E2 a few years ago, I asked Chuck why they didn't and he said it was because they couldn't be recycled in all areas. I am wondering if this has changed at all. It would be nice to know if, by recycling the mate trays, I am helping the environment or ruining a batch of recycled plastic because I put the wrong type of plastic in the mix. I could see that it may be more expensive for companies to use recycled/recyclable materials, but when the 3 major toy retailers are all doing it, it seems like there must be more than an altruistic reason.

I ultimately decided to chuck all of the boxes/packing materials. The amount of space I freed up doing so was great.

I haven't really noticed very much of of an uptick in resale value for loose figures with the packages and/or repacked figures. Even if there are a couple of instances where you might get a little more from having the packaging included, you would, as PL mentioned, save a ton shipping figures loose and without packaging. It will cost less, be easier, and you won't have to worry about people not reading the auction closely and mistaking a repackaged product for a new one.

Another big part would be for loose collectors. I actually like buying loose figures because you know if the figure is complete and unbroken. There's always a chance with older figures that you open up a package and find an expensive figure with a broken joint or bad paint scratch. I remember opening up my X-Factor Angel and being kind of nervous when I did a joint check on the knees. If your buyer is a loose collector, and there seem to be more loose than mib collectors with Minimates, I would think that you'll be more than fine with just selling the figure.