UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic talk : Invincible

Mattallica

So i've heard how great this book is and after picking up the Minimates i figured i should give it a shot.

I got the 1st book in the Ultimate collection and have read the first 5 issues and cant see why everyone thinks its so good, if anything it's quite lame, the art is very basic and the stories are super cliche', but the dialog is just horrendous. Can someone tell me it gets much better or what am i missing that others have seen in this that makes it so great?

I did read some early Invincible after hearing good things about it and to be honest I quite liked it. I enjoyed the slight jabs or homages depending on how you look at it to classic characters. My problem is that it kinda just rinse and repeat. Hero gets beaten to a bloody pulp by foe then comes back because he has found he is actually stronger and wins. Its like Superman V Doomsday over an over.

that said I will be buying the minimates.

I do look at the Invincible Universe stuff and Guarding The Globe an can only hope that the minimates do well to expand out into these.

I'm a sucker for Father/Son Legacy stories, so that's what got me hooked in the first place. I really enjoyed watching Mark discover his powers and bond with his Dad in a new way. And yeah, some of that dialogue when the book started was pretty hooky, but it's more the idea of the characters and their world that got me interested.

Keep reading though (especially if you have one of those big collections) because Invincible didn't really hit it's stride until the third trade (I think). That's when the twist hits and really gives Invincible it's reason for being.

first of all, just about everyone whose read the book (including me) tells people to get past issue 6, because thats when the book takes form.

1. you learn the actual premise

2. Ryan Ottley

3. Ryan Ottley

4. did I mention Ryan Ottley?

Im not sure if i can see where you're coming from with the dialogue but i can admit that the writing definitely gets better as you go

also the cliche's are the point of the book, its a massive homage to superhero comics as a series

I like the book well enough, but I certainly wouldn't try and convince anyone that doesn't. There are many, many flaws, such as the ones you mentioned. I think it's popular because it scratches that basic super hero comic itch that Marvel and DC aren't fulfilling. In that way it reminds me of Creed, which inexplicably became the biggest band in the world mainly because nobody else was making big, grandiose rock and roll at the time.

Robert Kirkman is simply not a good writer. Invincible is his best work, however. And the character designs are pretty nice.

can i take this thread to ask, who is currently keeping up with/a fan of ongoing Invincible?

if so I JUST had a major epiphany and im almost positive i know whats going to happen in the upcoming arc and i want to talk about it with a fellow reader