UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Mighty Avengers (African American) focus Minimates

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there ever been a limited set of minimates? What I mean by limited is 1/3000 or something like that. The closest thing with out researching is SDCC. Or has minimates always been mass made? Since Zach explained the market for the minimate and timing. Has there ever been consideration for pre-order. I know video games do it. But they do it to compete to retailers. Any thoughts on pre-orders? All these names are making me look up who's who on Marvel database. Adding to the mix , Marvel Now Young avengers(even 2006 version). I want to see that set.

We offer everything we sell as a pre-order to retailers, and they offer them as a pre-order to customers. But we do have minimums of how many we can produce. And 3,000 sets may sound limited, but it's a lot of sets to sell on the specialty market. There have been occasions where we have not hit the number to produce a set -- Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose was a mostly female set, Godfather was mostly male, neither reached the necessary numbers to go forward. Not sure if it's ever happened with a Marvel set, but some sets we've made have NOT sold out. TRU does order larger quantities, which is why we try to make EXTRA sure it's a set or assortment they can sell to the masses.

>The thought of a Blue Marvel minimate is exciting and Luke Cage is in a major need of an update seriously.....have you seen the Luke Cage minimate???? Sweet Christmas!!!!!

It's not awful, but it definitely needs an update.

Zach, my man I respect you brotha but to say that Luke Cage minimate is not awful is a lil crazy...he has a Fu Manchu. Black man + Fu Manchu = Awful. I'm sorry :)

I was talking about the original Luke Cage, Power Man. ToyFare exclusive? Came in a two-pack with Iron Fist?

Although the newer version is also not that bad. I think it has more important things to improve than the mustache. I'm pretty sure he's had a Fu Manchu at a couple of points in his career.

Well, I can't say I like her as much as Englehart as I have no idea just how much he likes her (lol) but I've always liked the character quite a bit and would love to see her minimated. I had no idea that there was ever an issue over who had the rights to her though. Still, if she is involved with GotG then maybe there is hope yet for her second biggest fan...tongue.png

And yeah Zach, I totally understand that the ratio of male to female MU heroes and villains is heavily slanted towards males, and thus there will always be more of them made and should be. However, there are plenty of (for example) avengers-related females such as mockingbird, tigra, enchantress, updated wasp that would make a cool female-only boxset theme.

I think there are a lot of people who remember Mantis, but filter that number through the sieve of people who would buy a Minimate of her and that number decreases considerably. She was great in GotG, but that is a world away from her original appearance. I'd call her obscure, but we've made far more obscure characters.

And I'd love all of those characters, I just think putting them all in one box set is dangerous, and could translate to low orders and low sales. But Ask DST and see what Chuck thinks!

Http://www.artasylum.com

Just to be clear, there's no issue as to who owns Mantis. She's owned by Marvel. Englehart just used Mantis stand-ins in his other works, but he's never claimed ownership of the character, the way that Marv Wolfman did over Blade or Gary Friedrich did Ghost Rider.

I was talking about the original Luke Cage, Power Man. ToyFare exclusive? Came in a two-pack with Iron Fist?

Although the newer version is also not that bad. I think it has more important things to improve than the mustache. I'm pretty sure he's had a Fu Manchu at a couple of points in his career.

Dude, that one's even worse then the New Avengers one.

Well, I can't say I like her as much as Englehart as I have no idea just how much he likes her (lol) but I've always liked the character quite a bit and would love to see her minimated. I had no idea that there was ever an issue over who had the rights to her though. Still, if she is involved with GotG then maybe there is hope yet for her second biggest fan...tongue.png

And yeah Zach, I totally understand that the ratio of male to female MU heroes and villains is heavily slanted towards males, and thus there will always be more of them made and should be. However, there are plenty of (for example) avengers-related females such as mockingbird, tigra, enchantress, updated wasp that would make a cool female-only boxset theme.

I think there are a lot of people who remember Mantis, but filter that number through the sieve of people who would buy a Minimate of her and that number decreases considerably. She was great in GotG, but that is a world away from her original appearance. I'd call her obscure, but we've made far more obscure characters.

And I'd love all of those characters, I just think putting them all in one box set is dangerous, and could translate to low orders and low sales. But Ask DST and see what Chuck thinks!

Http://www.artasylum.com

Yeah don't get me wrong, I know Mantis is a pretty obscure character, especially these days and thus she would never be the headliner in a wave or boxset for most people. (She is for me as she happened to be in the first avengers issue I ever read - in the avengers/defenders crossover dormammu story from waaaay back.) However, as you say, plenty more obscure characters have been made and being a female and Asian she seemed pretty relevant to the general theme of this topic.

And yes I also know that all of those characters in one boxset would never happen or be viable - they weren't a great set as an example together in themselves, much as I'd like them all. However, I'd like to think that replacing a couple of them with, say a black widow (movie star) and a ms marvel (own book) and mantis (lol) might be a little more viable. Also maybe a more general marvel femme fatales set including characters from across the broader MU wouldn't seem to be such a stretch at LCS?

Oh but for the record I would askDST but the last two times I've done that my question hasn't been answered so finding out what Chuck thinks is proving a little challenging! ermm.gif

Edited by stegron01

Oh but for the record I would askDST but the last two times I've done that my question hasn't been answered so finding out what Chuck thinks is proving a little challenging! ermm.gif

I've had the same problem...

Dude, that one's even worse then the New Avengers one.

They are both pretty terrible head blocks, but that badly drawn beanie trumps even a missing lower lip for me. I still liked the Power Man mate at the time, but New Avengers Luke was a disappointment from day one. And given how prominent Bendis made Cage in the Avengers books over the past decade, I am surprised this is all we've seen of him, especially after they gave him a more toy-friendly look in the T-bolts comic (awesome custom Mini-Fiend!).

I can agree that Lucas Cage hasn't been done proper justice yet, classic or modern.

I'd dig a re-do of Classic Luke with a re-do of Iron Fist. Luke would have a sculpted shirt for added bulkiness, while Fist would have his classic green shirt as a tampo with a sculpted collar attachment. He'd come with two torso blocks. One with and one without the dragon tattoo.

For modern Luke Cage, just... y'know... do a better job this time. No hokey facial hair, no lousy beanie. Just... done better.

Not to get too off topic, but I think a West Coast Avengers set with Mockingbird and Tigra would definitely sell, if you included either Hawkeye or Iron Man to anchor it.

Space Armor Iron Man

Tigra

Mockingbird

Gravitron

Yes that's a set I could definitely go for and think would sell great! I'm surprised we've never seen a West Coast Avengers set tbh, especially now that hawkeye is so prominent too.

Re the Luke Cage discussion, I actually quite like the original classic one packed with iron fist, though I'm sure if he was redone these days he would look awesome. Like most other people, I can't say I feel the same about the new avengers version but having said that I don't see a redo as needed - not a figure I would want to see taking up a precious comic slot.

I actually can't remember from the time before Zach because it was a while back, but last time it was regarding comic-based thor minimates. To be fair, there was a question about those in there from someone else, so I'm guessing that's the reason, though I'm pretty sure the emphasis on my question was a little different to the one that was answered.

That's the only way I could get Digger's attention back on the original Art Asylum board. If you weren't dropping f-bombs, you generally weren't getting his attention. I'd actually edit my posts to add colorful language just to ensure a reply. Never failed.

I haven't had to do that with Chuck.