UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Decoupage & Minimates

Jeff

Had a co-worker ask me how I make my minimates and I told her i use regular printer paper and use rubber cement to place it on the figure. She then asked if I had ever tried decoupage. I hadn't.

Has anyone ever tried decoupaging a minimate? I'd love to hear if it was successful or not.

Rad's comment would have been worthy of an arch-derailer like myself....for shame Rad :biggrin:

I'll try & be out-of-character helpful*.....

Decoupage is a technique I have used on occasion to liven up some old wooden boxes....for those that don't know it involves sticking various pieces of paper onto....well virtually anything. It's quite effective & just about any fool can do it....like I said I've done it.

Don't bother buying that mod podge stuff though ....unless it's cheap....because I would imagine that it is just generally available PVA with a bit of water.....betcha! PVA is your friend & is perhaps one of the most versatile adhesive you can buy & is also extensively used in DIY projects as a glue (didn't guess ? :rolleyes:) & as a preparatory key prior to final bonding between varying types of materials....wood to plaster etc.

I've got a feeling Boyd ,in particular,has used this on a few of his customs & technically IMHO decal application is decoupage.

*Howd'I get on ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

I've got a feeling Boyd ,in particular,has used this on a few of his customs & technically IMHO decal application is decoupage.

Ah geez, mention my name and I finally remember this guy:

cmcscllge_one.jpg

That custom was made using the decoupage techniques you're talking about, Jeff. All I used was craft glue that was watered down. I soaked the paper until it was wet and bendy, then stuck it on the Minimate.

I used pictures from old Wizard magazines, so all the paper was glossy and fairly thick, which helped quite a bit. I'm not sure how well this would work with ink jet printouts - I think the decoupage would cause the colors to run and ruin the image. If you're doing your printouts on photo paper or something thick and glossy, I think you'd get better results.

Thanks Boyd. Hob-Lob has the 40% any one item this week so I'm taking along a minimate and seeing what I find there. Maybe a employee will actually understand what I'm talking about and provide some pointers. I'll report back with my findings after lunch. Thanks!

The mod podge experiment was a success!

It smells and looks exactly like Elmer's glue, but a bit more watery. It dries clear and gives the appearance of a water slide decal or sticker. Upon a closer look and under a light source you'll notice a sheen and brush strokes, but nothing that distracts from the figure. A great way to add color printouts to any mate...and the ink won't bleed or fade.

Overall, I'm happy with the end result- I'm applying the same technique to my customs from here on out. Glad I gave it a try.

The mod podge experiment was a success!

It smells and looks exactly like Elmer's glue, but a bit more watery. It dries clear and gives the appearance of a water slide decal or sticker. Upon a closer look and under a light source you'll notice a sheen and brush strokes, but nothing that distracts from the figure. A great way to add color printouts to any mate...and the ink won't bleed or fade.

Overall, I'm happy with the end result- I'm applying the same technique to my customs from here on out. Glad I gave it a try.

Any pictures?

image45_zps52d45fab.jpeg

The decal on the left was applied with Mod Podge- first on the figure, then over the top of the decal. It dried a bit darker than the original printout, but not too much. The decal on the right of Lyja is applied without Mod Podge- just rubber cement to the back.

Reasons you'd still you both?

Rubber Cement works great for a temporary fix- to make sure colors match or positioning/sizing of the decal. One of the challenges I ran into with applying the Jessica Rabbit decal was that the hair I sculpted was permanent- so the standard wraparound head decal wouldn't work. I had to cut and recut- apply and reapply the modified decal to get it just right- now that I have the correct shape- I can move forward with using Mod Podge.

Mod Podge will now be my final applicant once the decal(s) are to my liking. Then if need be, a quick touch up with paint to cover the seams or spaces if any.

Here's another pic, where you'll notice a bit of the sheen:

image43_zpsff741021.jpeg

Here's what I used, available at any craft store (I prefer Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupons), originally 4.99 for 8 fl oz.

184002_zpsc682afe2.jpg

Hope this helps- a great alternative to sticker paper or water slide decals.

Edited by Jeff