UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

FCBD 13 mates?

They are a tough sell to retailers. Remember, Free Comic Book Day stuff isn't free to the stores, though the cagy ones are able to make up the minimal cost of the items they order with sales and special events. But I remember talking to retailers in 2009 that simply weren't willing to pay for the Minimate cost, whatever it was (I honestly don't know, but it was certainly more then the 20-30 cents most of the comics cost). Getting comic book stores to order Minimates is already a problem; getting them to pay for a giveaway is seemingly too much to ask (and yes, I do understand that the idea of the giveaway would be to get new customers interested in the product, but I don't think it's worked out in this case).

I don't even know that these would work that well as a promotional tool for FCBD.

Firstly, they aren't actually comics - they're toys. And while it'd be great to get more people into Minimates, a white, logo Minimate is probably not going to do that.

While a promo-mate is often pretty exciting to many here on the 'verse, it's not going to be super exciting to kids going to FBCD. DST would probably need to be offering something like a free Vorin minimate for FBCD to try and capture the interest of people who haven't encountered the brand before. That would, of course, make the Minimates more expensive which would make retailers less likely to buy them.

Now - a FBCD Battle Beasts comic.... An awesome mini-adeventure featuring Vorin & friends with a couple of pages dedicated to advertising the Battle Beast Minimates waves (LCS & TRU) .... THAT might just do the trick :thumbsup:

Promo...promotional...items are theoretically a great idea to promote merchandise .

In practice.....I feel that they are more trouble than they're worth. For the record I have ALWAYS held this opinion .

Most people IMO would rather pay a reasonable amount for something they are offered & assured of getting rather than paying 'some Joe' too much for something that was given away free.

It probably would be more likely if Marvel came in and put on a Marvel NOW! logo on on a blank minimate or something. At least that'd promote both Marvel and minimates for FCBD. That's still a long shot, though. But either way, I got a bag each of the past two FCBD mates by buying them via asking my comic shop guy to order them for me. Only way to guarantee getting one.