UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rocketeer Reboot?

hellpop

http://www.hitfix.com/news/remake-of-the-rocketeer-being-eyed-at-disney

I have mixed feelings about the possibility; I think the original was a just-about perfect translation of the comic, and that wasn't a hit, so I don't trust them to make such a faithful version this time around (particularly with Dave Stevens not around to keep them honest). But I'd like to see the Rocketeer get another chance. I love the character, love the comic, and it deserves wider recognition. And, to be selfish here, I really want the chance to get some new Rocketeer merch, like the action figure we were so cruelly denied last time around, not to mention certain 2" block figures that are totally awesome....

*waits for Shockini joke*

I need to add- and I'm sure you guys will agree- that my support for is completely predicated on the Rocketeer looking like Dave Stevens drew him. ANY deviation from the source material- ditching the jacket, f##king with the helmet design- and I'm out.

Pixar would be perfect. I wish that Disney would get that there's a large, untapped market for action/adventure animated movies. IMHO, John Carter would have been a big hit if they'd made it an animated movie. My worry with the Rocketeer is similar; that style of grand adventure seemed dated in 1991, and would be wholly out of place in today's market. But a stylish animated movie in basically a streamlined Stevens style would do very well, I think.

I also would like new rocketeer stuff. I wonder if they would try to fold it into the Marvel 616 at some point comic wise or back story etc seing as they have the right to that.

Do they? I've not heard that. I just looked up the copyright info in IDW's Rocketeer Adventures book, and it's listed as the Rocketeer Trust. I assume this means Stevens' heirs, but it could also mean a partnership between Disney and Dave's family. My understanding was always that Disney owned the TV/film rights the the character, but Stevens held onto the publishing. I think Disney holds the merch rights too, since Toy Biz, back when they were doing the Legendary Comic Book Heroes line, talked to Disney and not Dave about a Rocketeer figure (Disney asked for a ridiculous amount of money, the swine :verymad:). But I'd love to see a Rocketeer/Captain America crossover.

I also would like new rocketeer stuff. I wonder if they would try to fold it into the Marvel 616 at some point comic wise or back story etc seing as they have the right to that.

Well I was going to mention the new Rocketeer costume set for Captain Action, but apparently that's been cancelled :(

Could be a'aight, but they've got to ditch that dated old suit. Particularly the helmet. Maybe something a bit more like this:

b8DOU.jpg

A pretty good Rocketeer Kubrick was made if anyone who is a fan missed it:

hHVFR.jpg

I think my open-ness to this idea would depend on the creative team developing it. I think Joe Johnston did a pretty stellar job with the first one, and he just did a pretty epic little period piece called, like... Captain America, or something like that. So, i'm sure he's got it in him to direct another Rocketeer if they made one! But who would play Rocket/Cliff?