UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buffy "Build a Figure" from DST

Fujis

Diamond Select Toys has announced that there will be a "Build a Figure" character along with the next wave of Buffy figures due out in the spring of 2007. You can read the article here.

It has been discussed before but if DST is following what the Marvel Legends line started (at least as far as I know) could we see Minimate BAF's?

From the DST Q&A's on 8/14/2006:

From Jatta Pake:

A third of fans who answered the unscientific poll at Minimate Headquarters answered the question, "What should be next for Minimates?" with "We need a giant build-a-figure in future Marvel waves like Marvel Legends." If licensing wasn't an issue would DST release some waves of build-a-figure Marvel Minimates?

DSTChuck: That's really an unfair question - the license is an issue so there is no way we can do something like that. I suppose if we could do it and the numbers worked it would be something we would consider.

^^^ That's what I was imaging Timbo and it could be an interesting way for DST to compete with DCD especially since they, as of yet, can't have figures over 2" tall. But they could have 8 figure waves like DCD with one being the chase and the eighth being the BAF.

Ahhh but that comment is size based, it could be they couldn't do a GIANT BAF, but could do a regular sized one?

T.

What's the point of a 2" build-a-figure? That would be really lame, in my opinion. If they are going to do a build-a-figure, it must be for a bigger size.

I kind of assumed the Buffy build-a-figure was going to be a bigger figure like Marvel Legends. Are you guys understanding that the figure is going to be the same size?

I will say this, though, if the 2" build-a-figure gives us greater character diversity, then I'm all for it! Otherwise I'll be annoyed by the Wolverine variant #343 build-a-figure.

I think it's a diversity thing, Chuck might be shy of making a Capt Britain BUT if he was a BAF where you could get 3 or 4 two packs, one with head,one with torso, one with arms and one with legs and build him then we'd get cool figures that only fans would buy and they get people buying sets to get the whole figure.

Apart from the obvious cost thing it's a win/win to me.

T.

I think it's a diversity thing, Chuck might be shy of making a Capt Britain BUT if he was a BAF where you could get 3 or 4 two packs, one with head,one with torso, one with arms and one with legs and build him then we'd get cool figures that only fans would buy and they get people buying sets to get the whole figure.

Apart from the obvious cost thing it's a win/win to me.

T.

Considering BAF's made MLs sell huge, I think they'd boost minimate sales somewhat.

Considering BAF's made MLs sell huge, I think they'd boost minimate sales somewhat.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. Especially if they did "Build a Henchman" waves where you could build HYDRA goons, AIM goons, Hellfire Club goons, etc.

It's sad how many Minimates I would buy if they did that.

A similar scale BAF was done with the second series of the Buffy Palz, allowing fans to create "The Judge" figure. Truthfully I would have bought all the Palz anyway, but it was a nice bonus. I think a same scale build a figure could be cool, especially if the figure was something unusual and fan endorsed. Maybe they could have a fan pick build a figure poll. Offer five choices and let fans vote for the BAF for the upcoming waves.