UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Old gaming consoles and new TV's...

fatcow

Hi guys,

I have asked this on multiple forums and am just trying to get as many opinions as I can. If I was to hook up a neo geo, SNES, Sega Genesis or even an N64 to a 52 inch hd television, would the games looks good? I have seen some cases where they end up looking better on older smaller tv's so I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Also, in your opinions what would be the best way to hook up said consoles to a single television without having to switch wires all the time depending on what you want to play. I used to have a VGA splitter for my pc but that was a while ago, do they make a similar peripheral for tv's that would accommodate the devices I mentioned?

Thanks!

I was once at a friend of a friends birthday party a couple years back and saw them playing MarioKart 64 on a fairly fancy tv.

Though I was a little intoxicated at the time, I remember it looking really bad on that particular tv.

I was once at a friend of a friends birthday party a couple years back and saw them playing MarioKart 64 on a fairly fancy tv.

Though I was a little intoxicated at the time, I remember it looking really bad on that particular tv.

Haha, I feel like it looking really bad had nothing to do with your intoxicated state. Hopefully someone presents a solution!

Edited by fatcow

I have a 55" LCD tv and the first thing I did when I got it was hook up my SNES and play Mega Man X. It still looked like Mega Man, and if your eyesight is a little bad like mine and you sit a bit back from the tv, it looks alright, but if I get close or put on my glasses, it looks pretty not good. Couple weeks back, I had Mario Kart 64 set up for nostalgia's sake, and that's also bad. But sometimes even GameCube games look pretty bad on my tv, so who knows. I still play stuff that way, it's just obviously not great.

Edited by The Geohound

i don't like the way retro games look on digital TVs. I think they look better on the giant televisions before flat screens took over. It's not terrible to play on newer TVs but you lose some of that nostalgia feel.

But here's a cool idea I've seen some hipster restaurants doing, and you should try this bc from what I remember this is for your Hipster Friendly Gym:

Hook a VCR up to a nice Digital TV and all movies have an almost late 80s Live News Channel feel. The picture looks very different, has sort of a steady cam feel to it. They were playing Goonies and Princess Bride among others and it was sweet. So there's an idea because VHS is real cheap now.

again, the TVs with the big tubes in the back make for the best retro gaming experiences I've found.