UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How do you acquire a forign collection?

b00sted

Not really sure where this post would best be suited and Google just tosses me a line of crap and the one person I did know from Japan said if I send him one more email regarding the toy line he is going to put me on ignore as let me to this post..

When you find a toy line that really tugs on your heart strings and you are one of them OCD collectors that has to have everything but it is a line that is not in your country how do you go about obtaining it? Mainly the more rare stuff that comes along per say? I know for you outside the USA it is pretty easy to just throw cash at walls here and things go out but it seems like trying to do the reverse is pretty hard.

The line I am referring to for myself is the Takara Tomy Beast Saga line coming out... While most of the basic sets are up for pre order there are some limited edt stuff I know of that I would like to get my hands on but have no clue how to other than knowing someone from Japan (that dont block my emails lol) or flying there myself (also not happening).

Any thoughts?

Hobby Link Japan, Hobby Search, AmiAmi, Amazon.jp, BBTS. All of these are viable options.

What you are referring to is a Proxy service. I would not recommend them, as they are usually good for items that are extremely hard to find (IE: Wondefest) and they also take a hefty cut. Your best bet is to just buy them online. I would also recommend checking out Transformers sites like TFW2005. After how you've been so... excitable on here, I don't blame your only Japanese friend from blocking you. If you're going to import, you have 3 options, same as with construction. Fast, Cheap and Quality. You may pick 2 out of the 3, but not all 3. If you want it fast and cheap, it's going to be a Chinese KO. If you want it fast and real, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. I'd suggest the sites listed above. And lastly, if you want it real and cheap, it will require quite a lot of patience, which doesn't seem your strongest suit. (no offense) Remember, even in Japan going out and buying collectibles is NOT like the US or UK. You can't just run down to TRU and get what you want for some items. Asking people to help you out will become tiresome after a while. Again, see the sites listed above.

Any specific questions, LMK. After years of Transformers, Figmas and various sundries, this isn't my first cake walk, and I'd be very happy to help you in any way I can. :)

My only experience of buying stuff from Japan is gained from collecting kubricks . I'll get the sarcasm out the way first....just wait a few years & those inscrutable Japanese marketing guys will undoubtedly re-release..... cheaply... most of the stuff you've paid a fortune for <_<

Buying through companies like HobbyLink is your best bet ....I can vouch for HL & to be absolutely honest I would rather deal with Asian sellers rather than UK sellers because Asian sellers understand that buyers don't want their toy-packaging beat2f%ck ! My personal opinion ,based on open-minded experience, is that Jap* secondary-market sellers work as a cartel setting the prices & you just won't beat them. I only recently stopped the lunacy of trying to keep up with the morons that will pay close to a $1000 for a 'complete with secrets' wave http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-KUBRICK-DX-4-Full-9P-w-All-Secret-Chase-Background-Card-Set-/251074329452?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3a75323b6c ......only a year ago I was coping with $5-600 but that's it for me I'm out until they drop..& they will drop.

Sooooooooo....none of that might be relevant to you,that is just my experience of collecting a Jap toy line ,perhaps that li'l ol' chip on my shoulder is shining through ? I don't think so !

Get your wallet & get ready to throw some serious money towards the rising sun.

Thanks for all the input guys it is really helpful and gives me a lot to think about and thanks for offing to let me bounce questions off you.

that's it for me I'm out until they drop

This is the first I had heard of this! That's a pretty major step Rob. Next is offloading all your rare Kubricks, to me, for pennies on the dollar, as part of the "letting go" process. I'm here for you, man. :highfive2:

I am a completist collector and have been collecting Max Factory and Guyver figures for a while. I can definitely support Ebay and HLJ as my two best options for rare Japan items, but patience is the key.

I waited almost 4 years to finally find an unopened mint Zoalord Barcas with Xenomorph Test Tube for about 1000.00 (Common Price 2-3K+)

I waited almost 3 years to finally find unopened Guyver Gigantic figures for about 300.00 to 350.00 each (Common price 400.00+)

I waited almost 1.5 years to get my unopened mint Zoalord Imakarum Mirabilis for 250.00 (Common price 400.00+)

My point is, Yes they will cost a fortune, but that's what makes them rare exclusives released from Japan!

....and let's not forget those nifty unopened mnt AFX Gold and Silver Spidey mates I got for 2000.00... waited almost 5 years for that.. patience and persistence is the biggest factor to a Completist Collector on rare toy lines. I'm still waiting on my unopened Holiday Hal JLU figure.

Edited by highassroller

Pretty much every super-expensive rare Japanese item that I've wanted on eBay, I've found to be way cheaper and more plentiful on Yahoo Japan Auctions, even after the proxy service fees, which I don't think are too bad at TokyoBuyers and others I've tried. I gather most Japanese sellers don't like to ship internationally, so the few that do can set all kinds of crazy prices on eBay.