UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The game you've always wanted

Jeff

Spotted a new board/card game coming out this August from AEG called Smash Up.

It combines deck building elements and merging two groups together to form your team each with their own abilities. Dinosaur Ninjas? Alien Pirates? Warlock Zombies? This game looks to have it all. Here's the box art:

post-3472-0-79404400-1337190013_thumb.jp

A link to the site:

http://www.alderac.com/smashup/about/

Excited to see more as it develops. :lol:

I haven't heard of it, but it sounds interesting. I am not into the card games that involve buying specialty cards and such, but this looks cool.

I think the term deck building refers to the combining of two of the different factions into one team- like combining dinosaurs with ninjas. The decks are pre-built per character and included in the game- so no need for constantly buying boosters/expansions. Although I could easily see more races being added like Small World for example. Each game would essentially be a different game. Ninja Pirates one game, Warlock Aliens the next. Waiting on the rulebook pdf to show up before I make a purchase.....along with a review from boardgamegeek.com if available.

I had the Resident Evil card game (from a different publisher) and yeah, I agree deckbuilding games worked great in junior high when I had all the free time and money in the world. But now, being a 30 year old parent I find it tough to make the investment. The theme/art is what draws me in- and if it's something I can play on my lunch break, all the better.

How about someone design a game where we can use minimates?

It could be like a mage knight/hero minifigure game and just make a database with assigned values. Marvel already has values for on their site for Energy,Strength,Etc.

There's a game in there somewhere, right? or some other setup incorporating mms.

You can always play d and d with a minimate i guess.

Assigned Values,20 sided dice, i dunno

I'm with you.

I already replaced my meeples from Survive: Atlantis with Lego Minifigures. It's always fun to see who's the first to get eaten by sharks- the mime, cheerleader, or robot.

How about someone design a game where we can use minimates?

Way back when Art Asylum was independant of DST and still owned the Minimate, they toyed with making a game using minis. I remember someone, can't remember who, from Art Asylum offering a nice bounty of free minimates to anyone who could develop a working, sucessful game idea. Some of the other "old-timers" might remember this.

I'm surprised Luke hasn't made one yet. (:

Me? I'll settle for heroclix and see just how well the upcoming iPad app will do come October. Not looking forward to having to rebuy clix just to use on the screen though.

HUGE NEWS!

I joined an Overpower Card Game Forum and posted my idea on turning it into a dice game. It didn't go over well except by one person (the owner of the site) who liked the idea once I explained my thought process. So what does this all mean?

Thru trial and error I've come to the conclusion to not entirely remake Overpower but rather focus on another game with it from the 90's: X-Men Under Siege, in which you explore the 6 levels of the x-mansion looking for evil mutants and other x-men to join your team for battle. I'm looking to update this game with new abilities and make it a bit more D&D/TSR Marvel in scope and plan to use minimates as the pawns (replacing the stiff gray pawns it came with). If anyone has played the board game TOMB, you get the idea. If not, it's essentially going from crypt to crypt and exploring it to reveal either a trap, treasure, monster or all of the above. One player becomes the DM (alternating from each crypt) and tells the player what they find but not how tough it is. Players make the choice to proceed or retreat. I really like this style of gameplay as each room you enter is different every time. I'm working on translating this idea for X-Men. My story as it were is that the Evil Mutants have invaded the X-Mansion and in an effort to thwart the plans of Xavier's dream destroyed Cerebro. As the X-Men you must hunt them down and recover the missing pieces before the mansion explodes (a clever scheme hatched by Magneto and executed by Mystique- think the scene from the first X-Men movie). I'm looking to make a 'doomsday track' to show just how much time is left for you to accomplish your mission. I'm working out the kinks/ideas/etc as we speak.