UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Not really a Minimate-related question, but...

Hey guys, I recently started reading the early issues of "West Coast Avengers," and I was wondering who the following characters are on the cover of vol. 1, issue #1:

The people on the left side of the cover (other than Iron Man)

The lady on the bottom right, below Wonder Man

For reference, here is an image of the cover:

West-Coast-Avengers-1.JPG

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's been bugging me, not knowing who those characters are. :unsure:

Thanks!

My guesses: The lady on the bottom right is Black Widow. Guys on the left include ROM the Space Knight, Puck (from Alpha Flight), Red Wolf, and, uh. . .some random chick :lol:

Before Miry comes and makes sure who's who, here's my quick guess: I'd go with K80 and say ROM, Puck, Red Wolf - although I guess it might be a Kodiak - are the guys on the left. The woman on the right is definetly Black Widow. Funny thing is, I picked up a few Avenergs comics from that era yesterdy at a second hand shop. Black Widow's in there looking exactly like that. The red haired woman on the left - browsing through the comics I picked up - might be unmasked Spider Woman Julia Carpenter, Shanna the She-Devil or Crystal (Inhuman).

I don't think that woman is anyone with a mask like Spider-Woman, because every other hero on that cover with a mask is wearing one. And I don't think it is Crystal, because she had distinctive black stripes in her hair most of the time. Could definitely be Shanna, though.

Most likely it's Shanna. If I remember my Marvel history, the Savage Land has just been destroyed by Terminus and left frozen solid. Ka-Zar & Shanna escaped with the Avengers and moved back to America. Joining the Avengers would have given her something to do.

Less likely is she's Shooting Star, partner to the Texas Twister and member of the southwestern-themed heroes, the Rangers (which Red Wolf, also on the cover, is a member.)

Shooting Star was/is blonde. And K80 is dead on about Crystal's hair stripe. Nobody drew her without it back then. Boyd's right, it's most likely Shanna. Outside chance it might, might be Lindsey Mcabe, Jessica Drew's P.I. partner on the west coast, but they usually colored her hair darker. Only thing in Lindsey's favor is she's west coast. And yeah, that is definitly Red Wolf, who has Avengers ties of his own and was more of a strong possibility back then than it would seem today.

I know I saw a guide somewhere (Marvel Age?) identifying everybody on that cover, and it's definitely Shanna. I also think I remember reading that they really tried to have fun with the cover and choose a lot of non-Avengers to get people interested. It certainly is an eclectic group of characters.

I mentioned this in the TRU poll thread, but I think this cover would be a really fun basis for poll. If DST made a Minimate set of that cover, who would you like? Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Rom's available. I'd vote for Hawkeye (always up for another Hawkeye!), Mockingbird, Tigra and Red Wolf; I've made customs of Rom (using Luke's decals!), Shroud, and Shanna, or they'd probably be on that list.